Rimfire Central Firearm Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I'm still using a bushnell 3-9x32ao. I think I'm still wanting more power. Sporter rifle, wanting one scope to be ok for 50 or 100 yard bench shooting and then be able to do offhand plinking when the urge strikes. I tried offhand at 4x and 6x, was looking for shakes but honestly couldn't see all that much difference between the two powers. Did I miss something or does that sound about right? Which low end power would you recommend. Thanks.

·
Registered
2,304 Posts
I personally find with a little practice 6x is fine offhand, in most any condition. Then again silhouette shooters use 24x or more offhand, though I think that differs a bit from plinking/hunting use. Myself certainly by 12x, shooting normal offhand while doable extracts enough concentration that I don't enjoy it much. Though probably more practice offhand might change that.

I recall one reason the Army in WWII settled on 7x for binoculars was any more power was too hard to hold steady. Sounds about right for scopes to me as well.

For benchrest, I find 12x pretty good. And 16 or 20x plenty. Serious benchresters cannot get enough magnification I suppose.

So 4-12x might be okay, though not much more than your 3-9x. 6.5-20x or 6-24x I think is the upper end. 5-15 or 4-16 might be the best compromise all the way around.

So long way around saying, sure I think your experience trying 4x or 6x is about right.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Sometimes I wish there was only one to choose from. I've been looking at the 4-16 as u suggest. I sorta like the target turrets, too, so I got to keep that in mind. so I'll keep running through catalogs and sooner or later i'll buy something. thanks!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.