Rimfire Central Firearm Forum banner

Which length barrel to use

631 Views 15 Replies 13 Participants Last post by  gmcfixer
Hello all. Long time no see, I have been working hard on finishing EMT-Paramedic school :angel: . Now that I'm almost done :) , I have decided that I need an accurate 1022! I have decided on a Buckskin Brown colored 22LR TrailBlazer stock from Stafford Sales and a GM barrel. The only thing I'm not sure of is the barrel length. Would the 20 inch tube be the most accurate? Or would an 18 inch do just as well? I plan on using this in informal competition with friends and just plan old shooting :) . But I have always wanted a 1022 that will "put them all in the same hole" ;) So what barrel do I go with?
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

· Registered
1,106 Posts
there is not need for a barrel over 18" if you are using a scope which i assume you will be. the longer barrels are good if you are shooting open sights. a 22LR burns its powder at about 16" anyways, so anything past that is slowing the bullet down from the friction.

a 20" barrel will not increase your accuracy, only your precision- and it does nothing if you are using a scope. stick with the 18". :t

· Registered
3,500 Posts
Bigsarge said:
So what barrel do I go with?
I prefer the 18" barrels for the balance, some folks like a barrel heavy gun and if you want additional weight hangin gout there then the 20" barrel is for you. Chances are you would not have a percievable difference between the two lengths.

Dave Z.

· Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yeah, I need an accurate 1022 so I can relieve the stress! :Blasting_

After two years of school, studying all the time, scrimping to buy books and working PART TIME, I feel like I deserve the 1022 of my dreams.

· Registered
8,058 Posts
barrels from the same maker will all have about the same accuracy. length is irrelivant as far as accuracy is concerned. quality of the barrel is another matter altoghether. buy the best barrel you can aford with clark, VQ, Lilja, Shillen, and Douglas being the best. you get what you pay for. good luck and keep :snipersmi

· Registered
632 Posts
I'd use whichever one you like the best for looks or feel. I dont really think you have anything to gain 16.5 inch or 28 inch, unless your shooting open sights at matches. And I believe a lot of those long barrels are just short ones with long bloop tubes increase sight radius.

Here's mine.

· Registered
4,297 Posts
+2

The 16" SS Fluted GM is a fantastic shooter straight out of the box, and if you carry it around AT ALL, you'll DEFINATELY like the center of balance on the rifle, and the lighter weight, it is a really nice "compromise", for lack of a better term. If you hand lap it yourself, it shoots as good or better than the "Expensive" barrels. :t

· Registered
19 Posts
Barrel length is a totally subjective personal preference with no regard to accuracy. In 22 LR, standard velocity ammo runs out of powder around 14-15". High Velocity 16-17". For my hunting rifle, I prefer a shorter barrel for handling characteristics. For Competition, I prefer a longer barrel for steadying those off hand (unsupported) 100 yard shots.

· Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thanks for the input guys! I believe I will go with the 18 inch tube, non fluted.
I'm not crazy about the looks of the fluted barrels. I just want to build a nice .22 that will SHOOT! ;)
And yes I do plan on using a scope. The old eyes aren't what they used to be. :eek: I haven't decided which scope it will be, but there will be "glass on top".
Now I just need to get the donor rifle for the action, the stock and barrel, a ULTIMATE PLUS Performance kit, and Bell & Carlson Extended Magazine Release from Weapon Kraft , a scope,rings and GET TO WORK putting it all together! :) :)

I'll keep you posted!

· Registered
6,463 Posts
If bench resting is all you'll be doing your barrel choice will be fine. But if you plan to pack that thing through the wood or what ever, do yourself a BIG favor and get the 16.5" fluted SS barrel fro GM. I guarantee, you won't be dissipointed. Excellent barrels for the price and shoot gret right out of the bock.
But................*** do I know, I only live here. lol

good luck
swampf0x

· Registered
3,500 Posts
Bigsarge said:
I believe I will go with the 18 inch tube, non fluted.
Good choice! Its my preference, here is a picture of mine with a 18" SS GM barrel.

Dave Z.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.