Rimfire Central Firearm Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
I dunno, the way I see it is that the ballistic tip (Vmax) actually comes to a "point" where as the hollow point has a hollow area to grab the air/wind. I've had good grouping with the Vmax, and very poor grouping with hollowpoints, but that could just be my gun favouring the Vmax.

Ryan

·
Registered
131 Posts
Well, in centerfire ammo, I prefer the ballistic tip to hollow point. I have had better accuracy shooting ballistic tips than hollowpoints. But sierra makes hollow points that are specifically designed for accuracy shooting. I don't know what is supposed to be more accurate but I have found that ballistic tips are more accurate for me.

·
Banned
4,478 Posts
That's a toss up question. In centerfire rifles, I would say they both shoot just as well. Since you are talking about the 17HMR in particular, I would have to lean toward the ballistic tip in my own experience. My best group at 100yds. with my Marlin 17VS has come with the CCI hollowpoint bullet. But as far as group to group consistancy the ballistic tip has proven to be the better choice out of my Marlin. This can vary from gun to gun. But most 17HMR shooters on here seem to say only positive things about the Hornady and Federal Vmax ballistic tip loads.

Brad

·
Registered
20,556 Posts
That's very good advice from VaFish. Shoot em all and find out for yourself, it's where the fun is!
My gun prefers the v-max rounds (so do I) and from what I've been reading so do most other guns. Posted targets of people's best groups have been shot with some brand of v-max and I've had my best results with Hornaday and Federal. The bc is also higher for the v-max and I loosely translate that into accuracy.

·
Registered
2 Posts
17 & 20 grains

Dear All

I am shooting an Anshutz 1717 Heavy barrel and have found that this shoots both the 17 grain & 20 grain to the same point of impact @ 100m. There seems to be no difference between the two rounds through the Anshutz. It just seems to like all fodder.
I have used federal & winchester 17 grain, both of which there is little to choose between them giving good clean kills on rabbits and fox cubs. The CCI 20grains I managed to obtain recently shoot to the same zero and give a cleaner kill at greater distances, I don't tend to push it out beyond 150m. (haven't yet had chance at a fox or cub). With regards to accuracy I find that there is little to choose between any of them when shooting 100m groups. :banghead3

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.