Rimfire Central Firearm Forum banner

Which is better: S&W22a vs Beretta Neo

437 5
I am in the market for a new 22lr pistol. I have narrowed down my choices...Im either getting a S&W22a or a Beretta neo. My local shop has one of each, I like both, but I can't decide between the two. Is one a better pistol over the other?
Guys help me decide:)
Thanks
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,990 Posts
They're both pretty decent.

The nice thing about the Neos is it's ability to be safely dry-fired (shouldered firing pin). The S&W 22a is NOT dry fire safe.

Also, the slide on the Neos is steel while the slide on the 22a (IIRC) is aluminum.

The downfall is the safety on the neos...it takes some getting used to due to it's location...and the inability to find a holster.

Personally, I was looking at both...and opted for the neos.
If I had to choose again, I'd still choose the Neos. It also seems to be the favorite rimfire pistol for new and young shooters that I take to the range...it's pretty ergonomic.

·
Registered
303 Posts
I have both, but my Neos is the Deluxe version whereas my 22A is the cheapest model.

The 22A drove me crazy with stovepipes. I finally went to Remington Dry-Lube on the rails and that got my failure rate down to 1 in 150 rounds.

I had tried the standard version of the Neos, but opted for the Deluxe version because the trigger was 3lbs lighter than the standard version that I tried. The Deluxe is breaking at 4lbs, which is satisfactory (border-line) for me.

If I had to sell one of them, the S&W would be the first one to go even though I've gotten to the point that I'm satisfied with it.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Hello,

We have both of those pistols, both are the basic models that cost nearly the same. When clean, both are utterly reliable with the many types of bulk/inexpensive ammo that we use for plinking. When really dirty, the Neos will have an occasional FTF while the 22A keeps running, but I do not consider that to be a fault. The big differences are:

Grip size - the Neos is much smaller. The Neos has very poor ergonomics for my large hand, but is great for the wifey. The opposite goes for the 22A.

Accuracy - the 22A is more accurate with all ammo types that we've run through them.

Trigger - no contest - the 22A is much better.

Ease of stripping - the 22A is easier to strip by just a hair, but neither are difficult at all, and both are easier than a Buckmark or MKIII.

Overall, our 22A has been a pleasant surprise in it's accuracy and reliability, while the Neos has been a slight disappointment. The only reason why we keep the Neos is that my wife loves the feel of the grip, and I have a red-dot scope that fits it (it won't fit the 22A). Since the two are pretty much identical in price and reliability, I would think that the most important feature of these two that would dictate a purchase decision would be grip size. Big hands = 22A, and small hands = Neos....

hth,
Phil R.
p.s. Have you considered the Ruger MKIII or Browning Buckmark? Both cost a bit more, but are better pistols than either the Neos or 22A.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
p.s. Have you considered the Ruger MKIII or Browning Buckmark? Both cost a bit more, but are better pistols than either the Neos or 22A.
I had a Ruger MKII. I liked it, but my wife didn't. Plus the cleaning was a total PITA. I was looking for a different option then either the Ruger or Browning.
Thanks for the info guys

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.