Rimfire Central Firearm Forum banner

Which height for Protektor rear bag?

432 Views 7 Replies 4 Participants Last post by  Ben B.
I am REALLY stuck between the regular heavy bottom model which is 2.5" high between the ears, or the heavy bottomed 'custom' which is 3.5".

I don't have an oportunity to try either, and don't know if I am even keeping the rest I have (Hoppe's Expert) as I am just borrowing it right now. Might get a Rock or Rock Jr. rest in future, or may keep this one.

I am shooting a .22 CZ American (my only gu right now :mad: ), with BKL 257 mounts and a Banner 6-24x40 (don't know if any of that matters... thought it might for height).

Can you guys give me some opinions, as the bag height is the only thing holding me back right now from ordering it already....lol

Thanks!!
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

· Registered
2,619 Posts
Higher is better, higher is better.

Unless you shoot uphill. Most ranges shoot downhill or level, and the custom isn't enough for me, I have to use spacers.

You can always crank the front rest higher, but bottoming out the elevation on the front rest is a common problem.

Just my experience.

Ben

· Registered
218 Posts
I've got a rear bag that works just fine with my Ruger and Rock Deluxe, but I need a 3/4" spacer to use it with the Remington. The butt of the stock will determine what bag you need.

Your CZ is probably closer to the Remington stock design, so I'd say go with the tallest one.

· Registered
2,619 Posts
CanuckShooter said:
So you still have to add height to your custom when shooting flat? Will this bag (the custom 3.5" bag) work well with a Rock or Rock Jr taking elevation capabilities of the rests into consideration?
CS- Sorry, missed this question. Yes, at my home range I usually need to add a 1.5" spacer under my custom Protektor for the 50 yard range. At the range I shoot USBR matches in, I add about 3/4" spacer. I made both of mine from wood, cut in a rectangle to fit the bag's footprint, then cut an oval out of the middle (used a cutting bit in a Dremel) to mimic the "Otto stabilizer bag" what most fellows call the doughnut bag.

My first rest was a Rock Jr, and the Custom works with it fine.
Without seeing your rifle, bench or range, I'd say yes and buy the custom. For another $20, you can buy the Sinclair/Protektor imitation of the Gatewood. If I was looking for my first bag, it it what I would get.

Ben

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.