Rimfire Central Firearm Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2,999 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'd like to upgrade the mag release in my pistol to something a little taller so I don't have to struggle to find it. Not sure I want a TK paddle style as a similar one on my Buckmark Contour seems too big and prone to accidental engagement. I see K and Volquartsen both make a extended post style though. I'm wondering what others are using . Pics and thoughts welcome.

·
Registered
2,999 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Actually, I remember now that when I put a TK extended release ( many moons ago) , it came with the paddle and donut button top. I used the paddle there as the reach was long. Anyway, I just checked the TK website and see the 2 top option is still the case with the 22/45 flavor too. Order placed. Thanks for spurring my memory.

p..s As my memory comes back on this, I recall that the height of the one for the Buckmark was a little too tall for my liking. I ended up sanding down the height of the tube a bit ( 1/10"?) before attaching the paddle. Ended up working well.

·
Premium Member
2,764 Posts

I like the Volquarsten. Not only does it give you a better reach for the magazine release it also lifts the magazine just a tad and helps eliminate jams.

·
Registered
2,999 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks, for the input, I ordered the TK, and will see how it feels. I can always return it and get the Volquartsen if I find it to be too much. Either are cheap enough.

·
Registered
2,999 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
Just to close the loop on this. I got the TK Extended mag release installed easy enough. When i did, I tried both the round and paddle style buttons to see which suited me better to my surprise, i liked the paddle button best as it seemed to nestle in the thumb groove of the TK Hive grips perfectly. I also found that with the spacer washer provided, the height was about perfect. It compliments the new thumb forward rest nicely as a two handed grip (with left thumb on the rest) shields the mag release until needed. Pretty happy with the set-up now. ( I do need to take another shot at improving the trigger though...._)

·
Registered
566 Posts
Both will work, but...if you're the least bit concerned with quality, aesthetics, and finishing, I would choose the Volquartsen.

My son, who is a recent entry into handguns (before I got a chance to talk with him about such things) recently purchased one of the Tandemkross extended mag releases for his Mark IV 22/45 Lite, and after he received it we both looked at each other...it had obvious machine marks on it's stepped surfaces screaming out from below the t-h-i-n surface finish that made it look like it was machined by a Junior High school aged boy in his parents basement, and then finished with a large Sharpie permanent marker by his baby sister.

Volquartsen has been knee deep in their own designs and manufacturing for years, and that fact is clearly obvious when comparing the workmanship and finish that goes into every Volquartsen part to those from Tandemkross, which has been enough to steer me toward Volquartsen ever since. Yes Volquartsen prices are higher, but after getting burned in the past with less expensive substitutes I now refuse to take the cheapest/least expensive route. IMHO you're getting a better quality and finished part for your hard earned money with Volquartsen, and I don't mind paying more for that better quality and better finish.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts