Rimfire Central Firearm Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have decided to keep my 10/22 as stock as possible and just buy a high quality bolt-action for hunting. I need the app. prices and opinions on the following;
Ruger 77/22 mag.
Kimber .22 mag
Anshuetz .22 mag (hunting/sport models)
None of these catalogs list hte real world prices. (Ill be satisfied with a consistent 1/2" 50yd. group)

·
Registered
630 Posts
I bet the guys with the CZ will jump right in here. I understand they are a very well made weapon. If I get a bolt action I will sure look at them, although I love the Kimber (pricie gun though)

·
Registered
1,892 Posts
Well, if you would consider it, Id definitely go for a Marlin 882SSV. I have one and I shot some groups this weekend with it. All groups are 5 shots at 50 yards, center to center.

Winchester Supremes - .29"
CCI TNTs - .315"

Id definitely recommend one of these to anyone. And, you can upgrade the stock to a very nice laminated one from Marlin for about $65 or get one from Richards Micro-Fit Stocks for around $150-200.

I ordered 2 of them that Im currently waiting on....Let you know when they get here!

·
Registered
27 Posts
Im sure youd be happy with any of the rifles you mentioned. None will shoot any better than a Marlin, or Cz(no experience with CZ, but all the posts are consistant with value, accuracy, and reliability) And youll save enough for a decent scope. Ruger sells for just over $200 last I looked. The Kimbers substantially more. Just my two cents. Dan

·
Registered
951 Posts
If you will be happy with .5" groups at 50yds, then youd be just as well served with a Marlin, Savage, or CZ and a good trigger job. Either the Marlin 882SSV, Savage 93FVSS, or CZ American in the 22 mag version should be plenty capable of shooting .5" or better at 50yds once a good trigger job (or trigger replacement on the Savage) has been performed. I havent personally shot one of the CZs in 22mag, but I have heard many good reports about them and if they shoot like the 22LR versions, they should be a tackdriver. The Savage and Marlin cost around $200 while the CZ American in 22mag is around $300.

·
Registered
3,129 Posts
pass-thru,
I owned an older(80s)model 54Mag Anschutz, a regretted trade, my first opportunity it will come back home. Accuracy at 100yds was sub .5", but this was a gun I had to learn to shoot(deathgrip).Still its light tapered 24" barrel threw cheapy Winchester solids and Federal premium hollow points to the same zero, no complaints. When I purchased it, you had two choices in ammo, now theres plenty to try.
My best friend swears by his T/C Contender and Marlin bolt rifle, and claims his share of bushy tails each season(some at incredible ranges).If I didnt know what the Anschutz was capable of, Id lean to a CZ or Contender, they both have a lot of supporters.
Take care,
warren
ps: I played with a friends Win 94/22 mag once, it would have benefited from a scope, but showed promise.

·
Registered
316 Posts
If youre on a tight budget like me (poor graduate student) then take a look at Marlins 25MN. Same great Marlin micro grove barrel and receiver as the 882 series (except the bull barrel versions). It has cheaper iron sights and the stock is a pressed checkered hardwood (birch?) stock instead of the American walnut of the 882 or the synthetic of the other models. I personlly like the stock a lot on the 25MN. Mine is a real light color and look real nice with the dark blued barrel. The sights didnt matter since I planned to put a scope on it from the get go. I picked up a killer deal on a Simmons 3-9X32 with rings from www.natchezss.com for $22 bucks. I put less then $200 into it all told and right out of the box I shot 1.5 inch 10 shot groups at 75 yards. Not super good but not bad either.

I going to releave the forarm and polish the trigger/sear a little and will see if I can get the groups a little tighter. But for popin "ground sow whistle pigs" and squirrels 1.5 inch groups at 75 yards should be just fine.

If your out to save some money and still get a good gun take a look at the 25MN. I pretty happy with mine.

Later
mcb

·
Registered
390 Posts
If CZs .22WMR guns shoot HALF as well as their .22lr guns, youd be well served with a CZ.

Marlins .22WMR guns have an excellent reputation, and a farmer friend of mine keeps one in his truck for "zapping crows" in his fields.

I cant comment on Savages rimfire guns. However, a guy I know is the Chief of Police for a small local department near me. He issues Savage Tactical rifles to his two snipers. They apparently like them, and did VERY well at school with their guns. I know its a little off topic, but Im trying to say that Savage makes a pretty good gun for the money.

If I were looking now, Id look first at CZ, then at Savage or Marlin. Kimber and Anchutz are a little out of my price range, since Id need a scope as well.

bc

·
Registered
189 Posts
Last year I picked up a Marlin 783 used for 95.00 and the trigger was great.So good that I sold a 883SS because I just loved the older rifle so much.The trigger on the 883 neded a trigger job.Check for a used one,some times there are pretty good bargains to be had out there.

·
Registered
2,835 Posts
For me the standard Ruger
77/22 Mag would be hard to
beat.

Goodluck & Goodshootin.

·
Registered
52 Posts
.22 Mag. ?

Hi there, I personally own a Savage 93FVSS .22 Mag. At 70Yd. off bags I got groups in the .3's. with WInchester supreme 34's, and Federal Premium 30 Sierra HP's. I have a Simmons rimfire 3-9X32 which seems to work well. Good LucK!

·
Registered
52 Posts
The only thing I don't like about the 93FVSS is the trigger . IT could be alot better. Other than that I love the gun. Although I want to get a Savage .17 HMR bolt action blue with a wood stock. It also has a good heavy barrel, With Weaver blocks from the factory I believe. And I think you can get one brand new for around 200-225 dollas give or take. Farewell!

·
Registered
52 Posts
I forgot to mention I have a Ruger 77/22 Mag. blue with walnut stock, regular barrel. I have a Weaver 2.5 straight on it. That's the way I bought it. My way would be a Simmons 3-9 Rimfire. It shoots pretty close to my Savage 93 FVSS, but it only has the 2.5 scope. I do think the trigger on the Ruger is a little bit better . It has a lot less take up, but it has just about as much factory lbs. pull as the Savage. Take care RIMFIRE SHOOTERS!

·
Registered
173 Posts
I recently bought a Marlin 925M. With a Tasco 3-9x40 it will group .5 to .7 inches at 50yrds. The trigger definitly needs work! Feels like pulling a boat across a mudflat.

Emac-user

·
Registered
3,622 Posts
pass-thru said:
I have decided to keep my 10/22 as stock as possible and just buy a high quality bolt-action for hunting. I need the app. prices and opinions on the following;
Ruger 77/22 mag.
Kimber .22 mag
Anshuetz .22 mag (hunting/sport models)
None of these catalogs list hte real world prices. (Ill be satisfied with a consistent 1/2" 50yd. group)
All three you mention are quite good rifles that will be quite accurate. Since you're talking about a hunting rifle I would suggest not using a heavy barrel. Why tote the extra weight if you don't need to. Otherwise I would have suggested a Savage 93FVSS or Marlin 882 SSV like Vipers. The accuracy difference between these rifles and the more expensive ones are not enough to mess with for hunting purposes. I will suggest checking out the CZ 452 in 22Mag. These people have been putting together high quality firearms for decades. The workmanship is extremely good and they use very good grades of steel. If you want to spend the extra money an Anshutz or a Kimber would be good choices too. The Ruger isn't bad either but for the money I would spend it on CZ. JMO

Dave Z.

·
Registered
457 Posts
Bolt-action .22 WMR

pass-thru,

Hello! My answer would have to mirror what "gmfixer" has said. All three rifles mentioned in your post are fine in their own right for getting the job of hunting done in fine fashion. As for CZ, they too make excellent quality rifles in bolt-action, .22 WMR. For the price, accuracy, and quality of constructon--I'd certainly lean toward giving the CZ line-up a good looking over. (I have the CZ 452 "Ultra Lux.") And if you do decide to get one of the CZs in your chosen caliber, buying and installing an Eric Brooks trigger kit will make it all the better. Eric's website for CZ 452 accessories is:

http://ebrooks77.50megs.com/

Good luck with your shopping! ;)

Best regards,

"akrimfire" :snipersmi

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.