Rimfire Central Firearm Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
3,952 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Which bipod would you guys reccomend that i should get for my new 10/22? I would like a 9-13". I will be using it a bit for benchrest shooting (i have a rest but i would also like a bipod). I also need one because at our local youth prone shoots you need a bipod.

Thanks

·
Registered
1,250 Posts
The cheap copies are as sturdy as the equivalent Harris.
I have owned both a Harris L and the equivalent Shooter's Ridge/Outers.
Do a search and you will find good comments and comparisons.

Having said that, if you can afford a Harris then get one. The finish is a little nicer. Other than that they are of the same quality. The cheap copies will serve you fine in recreational shooting, but you should always buy the finer product if you can afford it and you value quality.

Of the two, I still own the Harris (got rid of the other to seal a deal on a gun).
It is the 9-13" model and it is great for bench and prone in the field. The taller model is just about useless off a bench and the shorter model is just about useless in prone positions in the field.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Fumbler is right, I to have had both the Harris & copies. The Harris is better of course, but it's also almost twice the money. I put Harris on all my "good" or high power unit's, but on a .22 plinker I have started putting the copies on them. I have about 8 or 10 Harris unit's, mostly 6"-9" and a couple 9"-13" and one real tall one. I only have one copy but plan on buying 2-3 more very soon. (I'm glad they came out with them.) If your putting it on a tactical system to be used in the field, or a real high end or custom made gun, go with the Harris. If it's just a .22 for plinking or hunting small game, go with the copy, for about the same money you can outfit 2 gun's now.

·
Registered
3,952 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I phoned up the local gun shop and they said that at the moment they only carried the rock mound bipod. They also happened to say that they were basically the same bipod for a cheaper price, which is kind of what you guys were saying. Should i wait until they get the harris bipods in or should i just get the rock mount?

·
Registered
1,907 Posts
cz452shooter said:
I phoned up the local gun shop and they said that at the moment they only carried the rock mound bipod. They also happened to say that they were basically the same bipod for a cheaper price, which is kind of what you guys were saying. Should i wait until they get the harris bipods in or should i just get the rock mount?
Hi Shooter,

I tried a Rock Mt. It's a good 'pod. Sturdy and well built.
Chinese Harris knockoff. Finish is slightly nicer on the Harris, IMO.
Ended up with a Harris.... but I'd buy a Rock Mt., sure. :t
-S

·
Registered
1,250 Posts
cz452shooter said:
Should i wait until they get the harris bipods in or should i just get the rock mount?
What kind of person are you? Do you like to own things of high quality and can you afford them, or are you the type that is perfectly fine with a unit that does its job and nothing more? If you're the first then get the harris. If you're the second then get the copy.

·
Registered
3,952 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I am just a kid who does not have a lot of money so i think i will just get the rock mount. I would get the harris because usually i am more of a first class guy, but i barrely have any money left over from recently buying a custom 10/22, a cz, and a new cz pellet gun. So i think i will get rock mount.

·
Registered
1,907 Posts
cz452shooter said:
I am just a kid who does not have a lot of money so i think i will just get the rock mount. I would get the harris because usually i am more of a first class guy, but i barrely have any money left over from recently buying a custom 10/22, a cz, and a new cz pellet gun. So i think i will get rock mount.
Well, you just go right ahead, Shooter. You may be a kid, I'm an over-the-hill dad of three teens. Whatever our reasons, money don't grow on trees!

The finish is the only difference I see in the two brands we're discussing. Harris anodizes, leaving a durable matte black color. A fine product. Mine was a gift and one I prize.

Shooter's Ridge uses a powder coat on their Rock Mount's, as far as I can tell. The finish is a tough semi-gloss.

Here's a picture of mine. Click it for a closer look. (Ignore the scope. Please. :rolleyes: )

Bargain hunting can be a tricky thing. Examine the product carefully and make an informed decision. Don't let anyone tell you you're second class because you value your hard-earned dollars. :1t

I like my Harris, but for my next size, it will likely be a Rock Mount. Good bipods, IMO. Not 'cheap copies' in this case, but an impressive counterfeit.

-S

(edit) Ah, a clarification:

My post may have been a bit confusing.
The pictured bipod is a Rock Mount, by Shooter's Ridge.
Perhaps you can learn from my mistake:

After mounting the 9-13" R/M 'pod, I was shocked and annoyed with the "bongggg" sound of the internal springs. Disappointed, I exchanged the 'pod toward the purchase of a scope upgrade (seeing the picture, you can understand why :rolleyes: A Bushnell 3-9x40 now sets atop my beautiful 452 :D ).

The gifted 'pod I have now is a Harris 13-23" sitting/prone mount. Entirely different application. But it makes the exact same sound.

Harris-type bipods are inherently noisy. It is a bit irritating at first, but you do get used to it.

Anyway!... So, expect it. You'll deal. It's not unlike AR-15 buttstock recoil spring.

-S

·
Registered
3,952 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thanks for that link spike. But at my local gun store they carry the Rock mount 9-13 bipods for about $55 (canadian Dollar) so the time you convert that $30 into canadian money (which would make it about $40) and then add shipping (it says free shipping but i am sure that he would charge extra to ship to Canada), then Duty, then taxes, it would be almost cheaper to get it locally.

Thanks though
Jordan

·
Registered
1,907 Posts
cz452shooter said:
...it would be almost cheaper to get it locally.
Copy that. And it's good to support local gun merchants. Just thought I'd share.

cz452shooter said:
BTW: I see why you would change scopes ;) :D
Yea, it is a funny little scope, isn't it? :p
BSA airgun scope... I was just dying to get my glass on!
Perfect example of that tricksy bargain hunting. Spend slightly more that $9.99 on a scope. :bonk:
Actually, I had two lying around. Great out to 15YDS on my Crosman. ;)

-S

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.