Votes: 4 57.1%
  • Other (specify)

Votes: 2 28.6%
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2,833 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm wanting to buy a 24" barrel with a rifle stock, to shoot the email matches with. Should I get the match chambered one from the TC custom shop, or should I spend the extra $100 and get a Shilen Barrel from Virgin Valley?
Either will have a match chamber. I'm wanting a rifle with 250- ?x capabilities.
Thanks,
Paul

·
Registered
2,833 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Ok, WHO voted "other" without specifying which one:eek: :eek:

:p
Paul

·
Registered
1,606 Posts
While I have not ever shot a Contender as a Rifle, I have shot Contenders as Handguns for years. In addition over the years I have had both T/C Factory Barrels and Custom Barrels from Bullberry, SSK Industries, and Virgin Valley Custom Guns. While I have not really had any serious complaints about any of them, I would have to say my current barrel (and my first barrel) from Virgin Valley Custom Guns has impressed me the most.

I also am shooting a T/C Production Super 14 Match Grade .22 LR Barrel. I have also been quite pleased with the level of accuracy it is delivering. I am quite sure the barrel is capable of shooting a "250" at 25 yards, just not sure if the shooter is.

If it were me, and money was no object, I'd opt for a Virgin Valley Custom Guns 24" Bull Match Grade .22 LR Barrel and not look back. They also offer some great wood, and you might want to look into their Forend Hanger Bar System as well.

Larry

·
Premium Member
2,173 Posts
I am very fond of my Bullberry, but my buddy swears by SSK. I have another friend that was reasonably happy with his Virgin Valley, but he had a lot of trouble getting it, and it was a little rougher looking than he thought it ought to be. I really think you are better off with one of these three, and I don't think that two of them are going to cost a lot more than T/C custom. SSK will set you back a bunch, but my friend does not spend money frivolously, so their must be something special about them.

·
Registered
2,833 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the input guys!!
Paul

·
Registered
99 Posts
I am using a 16 1/4" custom shop bull to compete in ARA. Well, let me say shoot in ARA - don't compete much yet. My best match score is 1485. But, I have only been shooting since this March, so I am sure the gun is way better than me! I still have the factory trigger - God knows how heavy it is! I am also using the synthetic factory stock and I am sure a custom heavy one would help. I use a wood 3" forearm from Wes at KTS and it's just screwed on - no special bedding. At fifty yards, the wind is probably giving me way more problems than anything else. I got it topped off with a Simmons 8x32x44, and a Leupold 40x would be much better. My plan was to try all this out, and then if it looked like I could compete with a Contender, I would have a custom barrel, stock, and forend made. If you can swing it, go custom all the way right now, save yourself some money in the long run. When you get rigged up, shoot in ARA with it, Its lonely out here!

Ken McDaniel
[email protected]

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.