Rimfire Central Firearm Forum banner

which Barrel is better?

1899 Views 15 Replies 10 Participants Last post by  Tripeaks69
Im Building my first 10/22 and I am deciding the BARREL to use,

Im have Tactical Solution Xring and decided to purchace 2 stage kidd trigger group.

Im deciding for Barrel, between GM, VQ or Lilja.. I like stainless, bull /match barrel, at least 20 inches.

I want this for precision shooting, planning to compete on local match..

Thanks for suggestions and advice.
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

· Registered
834 Posts
Lilja

Trip:

I agree with the good Dr. Lilja manufactures super accuate centerfire barrels and it would seem logical to conclude that the same close tolerances are followed in their .22 barrels.

On the subject of a Kidd Barrel, I'm putting together another build. This one will sport a 20 inch bull stainless Kidd barrel. I have never shot one. However, as the Dr. says, it is a widely used and higly recommended barrel on this site. Some of the target photos depicted here are unbelievable groups at 50 yards - with match ammo.

Bottom line, either of these barrels should suit your needs.:bthumb:

· Registered
362 Posts
I am of the opinion that if true precision is required you should have the barrel threaded to the receiver. Of the barrels you mentioned I would choose Lilja. But you might want to poke around on some rimfire benchrest forums and include Shilen and Pac-Nor in your list.
Larry

· Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
To all that responds.. Thank you much. I will go for Lilja.

I agree with M2HB "The "best" usually isn't cheap." so I will just swipe my debit card, enter my pin and CLOSE my eyes. :D and hoping I will get the best grouping I can ever achieved. hopefully this build will be finish by June 2012. I will the pic when it is built.

Thanks for your comments and suggestion.

· Registered
5,129 Posts
XRing receiver + KIDD trigger + Lilja barrel....sounds like a shooter fer sure:bthumb: Looking forward to hearing what kind of groups you get. I think my next barrel will be a Lilja as well...that is if I can get it threaded to a Supergrade receiver:confused: What kind of stock are you using for this build?

· Registered
2,570 Posts
I was in the same boat. I was afraid to buy the Lilja due to price. I had already tried other barrels others recommended and I just wasn't happy with any of them. I bought the Lilja and have never been the same. My first ulti is the same Kidd trigger and Lilja barrel. I have not shot it alot but it is unbelievably accurate. The very first time I tried for a 4-zero target, I got 3-zeros and nearly the 4th. I have confidence in the gun and that is what is most important (and priceless). You will not regret it. PS. I now have 3 Liljas that all shoot lights out!

· Registered
1,940 Posts
Best barrel? Most likely a Shilen. Shilen and Broughton owned the top 50 places at the 2011 ARA Nationals. I have plans for a Shilen Ratchet groove to stick on a spare Anscutz action I have. A step down would be a Kidd or Lilja. The rest are below Kidd and Lilja.

· Registered
4,773 Posts
I was in the same boat. I was afraid to buy the Lilja due to price. I had already tried other barrels others recommended and I just wasn't happy with any of them. I bought the Lilja and have never been the same. My first ulti is the same Kidd trigger and Lilja barrel. I have not shot it alot but it is unbelievably accurate. The very first time I tried for a 4-zero target, I got 3-zeros and nearly the 4th. I have confidence in the gun and that is what is most important (and priceless). You will not regret it. PS. I now have 3 Liljas that all shoot lights out!
I keep hearing how very or super accurate these barrels are, Can someone please post pics of what kind of groups you are getting preferable at 50yds. using medium priced ammo( CCI-SV,Aquila RM etc.) I am very interested in using one, but I would like to see how much better they will shoot from others who are using them. my current build only counting the basic parts upgrade (trigger,barrel & bolt work) cost less then $275 and can shoot groups around half the size of a dime at 50yds. using the aforementioned ammo. so will replacing my $90 barrel with a $300+ make it shoot half those size groups?

· Registered
4,773 Posts
That is some great shooting. What's the setup on your rifle and which 90 barrel?
The $90 barrel in question is an E.R Shaw look for the post here under E.R Shaw it has pics I posted of the rifle and target shot last month. my trigger group is vintage 1978 with Volquartsen and P.C componets that I massaged if I remember it breaks at under 1.3/4 lbs. according to my Lyman scale. I also polished the bore and throat using JB bore paste. initially I wasn't that impressed with the barrel, but looking back I believe that the barrel was still in the process of being broken in because as of now it has been shooitng its best groups round count is about 1200 rds.:)

P.S forgot to say it also has a bolt reworked by Randy at CPC ( I highly recommend) also post is under title is E.R Shaw barrels any good

· Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
XRing receiver + KIDD trigger + Lilja barrel....sounds like a shooter fer sure:bthumb: Looking forward to hearing what kind of groups you get. I think my next barrel will be a Lilja as well...that is if I can get it threaded to a Supergrade receiver:confused: What kind of stock are you using for this build?
Thanks, Doc.

I just bought a used VQ VX-2500 Stock. It will be mailed to me on Monday.

· Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Finally, i purchased my barrel from Lilja last Saturday. I will have the barrel threaded and lilja needs 6 to 8 weeks to ship the barrel to me.. Thats completes all my custom 10/22 parts..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.