Rimfire Central Firearm Forum banner

which auto pistol to buy

2375 18
I am considering buying an .22 auto pistol and I need some good advice.  I am looking at the mark II, 22/45, buckmark, hi standard, and hammerili trailslide.  Please let me know what you think of them.  I want to keep cost under 400, and want an autoloader, but I will consider other options.
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
1,824 Posts
rem:
Forget the rest get the best.
hahaha!
Now if you cant get one of each, THE MK2 SLABSIDE is the
way to go, already drilled an taped for scope,comes with rings, a lot of after market goodies to
play with, shoot real good.
Sells for around 375 to 400.
Good guns.

Goodluck & Goodshootin.

·
Registered
286 Posts
Rem2429: When I was going through the same decision making process about 2 years ago I ended up with the then new Sig Trailside.  Worst firearm purchase I ever made.  The first one (yea, this is a long story) was the std. model, short bbl. and non-adj. sights. It wouldnt feed, the slide didnt stay open on the last shot, and stove pipe jams. Contacted Sig. Real nice. Send it back. Three months and $30 shipping later I get a new pistol in return. This time I can see a slight design change but still the pistol wouldnt hold the slide back on the last shot and I was still having feeding problems. Called Sig. Yes they were having a problem, maybe in the clips, maybe not. Send it back. I sent it back (again $30 shipping) stating that If they couldnt get one to work Id like my money back. (Yea, but Id thought Id at least sound tough). Trailside No. 3 arrived about a month later. It worked - sort of. Occasionally the slide didnt stay back after the last shot but it shot well, and they feel great in the hand, so I figured I could live with it.  After about 500 rounds went through it I then noticed that the slide indent on the frame for the slide stop was very quickly being peened by the force of the slide stop. A small crack had already developed and it was only a matter of time before a small chunk of it would split off.   That was the end of the "trail" for me. I traded it off for a used Smith K-22, took my beating, cut my losses, and never looked back.

The Trailside is about the nicest feeling, and one of the most accurate 22 semis. Ive ever handled - it plan just didnt work. Maybe theyve got the kinks out of it by now, but man, that **** pistol cost me a lot of grief.

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
I have the Browning Buckmark in 5.5" bull barrel. I like it, thought the sights arent the best. It needs a good red dot sight.
Ive shot several Rugers, and they are excellent shooters. They can be a problem to reassemble, though. But they have all those neat toys available to add on.
I recently shot the new Smith&Wesson .22, and was pleased with it. It had the big target grips, which felt very good in my big hands. It seemed pretty accurate, and has a Weaver rail built in. The big grips are only available on the 5" barrel, not the 7".
The Smith and the Browning are both available for $250 or so, more if you get the fancier models.

·
Registered
3,639 Posts
I have owned numerous .22 pistols over the past several decades, Ruger 22/45s, Mk Is and IIs, S&W 2206 and 22S and 22A, Browning Challengers and Buck Marks, Bersas, Tauri, Colts Cadet (oops, cant all it that), even a Colt Ace, so my opinion comes from a
fair amount of experience.

I currrently have five, and they are all Browning Buckmarks:
Two 4" Micros with adjustable sights.
A 5.5” Standard with adjustable sights.
A 5.5" Target with Tasco Accu-Dot
A 10" Silhouette with Simmons 2x scope.

They are each accurate, easy to shoot well, possess nice triggers (adjustble on the Target and Silhouette models) and feel so much nicer to my hand than any of the others I have owned. They are better than most I have owned, and just as good as others, which is why I still have them.

Are the others good guns? Some are, Yes.

Do I prefer the BuckMarks to all the others? You bet!

·
Registered
1,392 Posts
I too have had numerous .22 LR Semi-Auto Handguns through the years. Lets see, I have had Ruger MKis and MKIIs (in various barrel lengths), Browning Buckmarks, S&W K-22s (17s and 617s), S&W M 41s (5", 5 1/2" & 7" barrels), and a couple S&W 2206s.

Probably the best single piece of advise I could give you is to go to a Gun Shop, and handle as many different ones as you can, then buy the one that fits your hands like it was made for it. I am not refering to simply the Grip, but also how your trigger finger rests on the Trigger (that can be influenced by the grips as well as the basic design), and how the controls are situated on that particular handgun. In all my years of shooting .22 LR Handguns in competition at our local club, probably the most important thing I have learned is that to shoot good, the Handgun must fit you properly.

There are good and bad features about any of the Handguns the others and I have mentioned, and for the most part I think all of the manufacturers are working to produce a good product. In this competitive marketplace, these manufacturers need to produce a good product. This is not to say that there are not lemons out there, cause there are, and they can come from any manufacturer.

Good luck

Larry

·
Registered
185 Posts
Hey 9x19,

Ever thought about putting on a VQ THM w/the 32 hole comp. on your Buckmark?

Ive got one on mine with a Leupold 2X LER...man what a shooter!! I used to have VQs S/S barrel on my Buckmark, I gave Scott a call last year and he said he would take it on partial trade for the THM.

Very strange though..best group to date was with CCI Stingers at 25 yards...10 shots into, I think, 1/2"...go figure??

·
Registered
331 Posts
For what its worth.  I have been out of the pistol game for a long time.  I kept a Superblackhawk because I liked it.

Well, the kids are getting old enough to learn to shoot, and I wanted a new toy.  I went out and shot the MK II, the 22/45 and the Buck Mark.  I ruled out the 22/45 almost instantly because it just did not feel right.  The Browning was nice.  It shot great, felt good and looked good.  I settled on the MK II because after quite a while of trying to cut a deal, this is the one that opened its self up.  As much as I like Ruger, (I own 7), I would have gladly gone for the Browning.

The KMK MK II has been great.  It only took one evening to get the hang of taking it apart, (easy) and putting it back together, (must follow instructions).  It is easy to clean.  It shoots better than I do.  Ive only put 1K rnds through it in the past two weeks. ;D

The Kids like it too!  

·
Registered
1 Posts
If you have to have a semi auto the Rugers are real good. The Brownings that Ive shot were good  but mags. are hard to find. Sights are better than on the Rugers( talking about the adj.sight models). If you want a truly good .22 pistol, look for an older Smith&Wesson M17/M18. I have both Smiths and a Ruger Govt model. Usually take one of the Smiths when on a serious shoot. The Ruger when I want blow off a bunch of ammo. Which one is more accurate? Dont know....but I like the Smiths. Just a devalued $ .02 opinion. Dan

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have had no problems with my trailside pistol.  I have the long barrel model with the target grips, and its a wonderful shooting gun.  No jams or malfunctions except once with a dirty case.  Ive put several thousand rounds through it as well.

I have a ruger too, but the trailside just shoots better for me.  

·
Registered
403 Posts
http://www.hunting-pictures.com/members/BruceHerndon/im000148.jpg

I have owned many .22 handguns. Among those were H&R, High Standard Sentinels; S&W #34 & #63; Astra Constable; Beretta; Bernadelli; Charter Arms Pathfinder;
S&W #41; Ruger MK 1 and standard models; Jennings;
S&W #2213, 422, 622, 2206, AirLite, 650 (.22 mag); and a Ceiner conversion for a 1911.

I still have the five autos in the photo and the AirLite and #650. IMHO, this now discontinued series of S&W auto loaders are great field guns. The #2206 at the top of the pic is waiting for a scope and mount. The adj. sight #422 and the #2213 are my sons, the matched pair of #622s are mine. I have had two other #422s that worked great but the finish was coming off them in the holsters I was using.

Though it shoots well, the #2206 is a bit heavy for a field gun. I like the others for belt use, and the AirLite is not noticeable to carry around at all. Mine is an early one, and has a heavy trigger pull. I have shot others that were lighter.

My own belief with the various Ruger models is that if I want to carry a sidearm that large and bulky I may as well tote a large caliber handgun . I am a big fan of the S&W #10, which was more compact and about the same weight as the last Ruger target auto I owned.

The Astra Constable .22 I owned was a FINE firearm and worked like a Singer sewing machine. Unfortunately, it got traded on a S&W #10.

If you live near Atlanta, GA I can let you shoot mine before you decide what to spend your cash on.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Well, thank you to everyone who has commented.  Your experience has been invaluable.  I have been going around looking at various dealers and fondling various guns.  I cannot find trailslides areound here, though I am sure I could order one.  I guess I am leaning toward the MK II.  Unfortunately, it is the only one of the group that I have shot.  The S&W that I was able to look at was not too impressive mechanically, but several guys have sworn by them.  I wish I lived near Atlanta, and I would take you up on your offer, but Im in Texas.  As fo the buckmark, I am sure it would be fine as well.  To be honest, I think I will go with whatever I can find a great deal on.   Looking to buy an engagement ring too, and the pistol is a bit of a luxury.  Someone suggested I get her the gun and borrow a ring so she could have something borrowed and something blued!  Thanks again for the help.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Rem 2429, I just saw that someone has a Trailside 4" target with a 2x scope and extra mags for sale over on gunsamerica. I know that when they first came out that they had some problems but that has been corrected. I talked to Larry at Larrys Guns who is a Hammerli dealer. He said that the early models with the soft black grips where the models to stay away from. I have one of the blue laminated Trailsides and have not had any problems. I must say it is very accurate. The price for the set-up was $500 if interested. Good luck on your choice, shame we cant buy them all.  Pic

·
Registered
161 Posts
Somewhere down the line you will answer your own question.while some claim that this one is the best and that one is the most accurate.I have several of the big name target pistols and revolvers,some new and some very old. but there is alway one that I can shoot with complete confidence it has the feel in my hand that exudes this I could tell what it is but this gun is only for me and me only.The process take time and a lot of horse trading before you find your own (perfect gun) and when you do dont let go because while you may find another like it,,,it just isnt  quite the same.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I just saw a walther p22 NIB and the dealer wanted 250 for it.  It was the target model with the fake compensator.  It was the first p22 I have seen and I was reasonably impressed.  Im not convinced that it would be as accurate as many of the others, but it sure was a neat pistola! ;D

·
Registered
1,824 Posts
 rem
I have several MK2 like them
so much I am now restoreing
a MK1 that had seen better days.
You can always find parts for
the rugers.

Goodluck & Goodshootin.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.