Rimfire Central Firearm Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Im having trouble finding the best ammo for my new ruger 10/22 de luxe.

using any high velocity like CCI minimag or remington thunderbolt gives me really bad groups of about 3" at 50 yards.

using standard ammo like CCI standard give me groups of about 1" at 50 yards.

please share with us what you're using to produce the tightest groups in your standard ruger 10/22!

/Marcus

·
Registered
2,833 Posts
Marcus, each gun is going to have it's own preference as to what ammo it likes or dislikes.
I'm afraid there's not one answer "If you use THIS ammo, you'll get your best groups"
Try different brands and different styles and you'll probably find one that your rifle likes the best.
Sorry I couldn't give you a better answer.
Paul

·
Registered
171 Posts
What knite says is true but you will likely find the Wolf Match Target (Wolf MT) to do really well in yours, as it does in my buddy's. Most any of the match ammo (Lapua, Federal Gold Medal, Eley, etc) will also yield good results, just that some will do better for you than others.

The problem with Wolf is, that it dissapears from the shelves almost as soon as it arrives.

·
Registered
4,782 Posts
Good ammo

With the standard barrel 7/8 inch groups is about all you can expect out of good lots of everyday production ammo. 1 to 1.5 inches is often the norm. 3 inches is lousy ammo, don't buy anymore of that lot number. The next lot could be a winner however of the same type and brand. However, higher priced competition ammo is built to better standards and will produce more consistent accuracy from lot to lot. You do get what you pay for with .22 ammo. Good lots of mini mag will often produce sub one inch groups. You need to give Aguila SE 40 grain ammo a try along with some Winchester Dynapoints, T22, Wildcats, and Super X in addition to the CCI stuff. Federal is better than Remington which is lowest quality .22 ammo on average. rc

·
Registered
18 Posts
I've had great success with the Federal "Value Pack" fo 550 rounds, it has a 36 grain bullet, you can buy them at most gun shops and I think at wal-mart.

I shot about 300 today and they performed great next to the 100 Gold medal Ultra match (UM1) I zeroed with, averaging sub dime sized holes at 35 yards (its an indoor range what can I do?), there cheap at $8 dollars a box and accurate to boot but it is going to depend on your individual weapon, just keep trying different ammo until you find one your weapon likes.:t

·
Registered
135 Posts
I've had excellent results with the Win Dynapoints. They're accurate and clean shooting. I shoot them in both my pistols and rifles. I used some of the Rem Hi Velocity stuff to break in my MkII and what a mess. Gunked up my action pretty fast and accuracy was average at best.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.