Rimfire Central Firearm Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

· Registered
295 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After wanting a Beretta 87 Target for months, I've flip-flopped and decided to build a .22LR 1911.

Although Ceiner's conversion kit comes with 15 round mags, I'm taking the recommendations of numerous ar-15 and rimfirecentral.com members and going for the accurate Marvel kit.

Can you recommend a good 1911 Lower that will perform well with the Marvel Upper?
Caspian? Kimber?

Can you recommend which 1911 Lowers to avoid?
Taurus?

And is there one in between for a good price?

· Registered
451 Posts
The Marvel is different than most of the conversions because it uses a draw bar to lock the barrel to the frame. This takes away most of the concerns about which frame it will fit the best. You still have to make sure the slide will run on the frame rails but with the Marvel that's not a problem usually. The other units fit some frames well and others not at all. The draw bar is also what makes the Marvel so much more accurate. A good tirgger is nice to have but make sure the hammer spring is full strength or you'll have FTF with the rimfire ammo.
Ross

· Registered
1,611 Posts
I have two Marvels (#1's) Each fits and works fine on 3 different Les Baer match frames. A wad, a hardball, and a dedicated lower. Also both fit fine on an early GoldCup (1963 made)

· Registered
1,697 Posts
chim said:
I've used mine on a Springfield and a couple different Kimber frames. They all worked well. Put it on the receiver that has the nicest trigger, and have some fun. I'd recommend buying a complete 1911..................chim
I'm with Chim. Get the best trigger you can. No worries about it fitting, both the #1 and the #2 I have have fit everything single stack I've tried: Norinco, AMT Hardballer, Essex, Colt Gold Cup. Tried my #1 on a ParaOrd P12, although I had the doublewide magazines from Marvel, the slide didn't fit my pistol. That's okay, I traded off the wide mags for single stacks and will keep the P12 as a .45.

I've left my conversion units as whole guns, the centerfire tops are in semi-permanent storage.

· Registered
1,307 Posts
My Marvel 1 worked fine on my 5 inch Kimber. I built up a Caspian frame for the conversion unit - I agree that the Marvel deserves a good trigger, I used SVI hammer, sear and disconnector and got a 3.5 lb very crisp trigger. I used a Wolff 19lb mainspring.
I found that I needed to use blue locktite on the rod that locks the conversion unit to the slide stop - it would shoot loose after a hundred rounds or so. The top scope rib also shot loose but that took about 5,000 rounds - I used blue locktite there as well.
I've tried several brands of ammo - Wolf, SK; both were too greasy/dirty; Federal target didn't group too well, CCI pistol match grouped a bit better than CCI green tag, Eley pistol standard worked well, fairly clean and shot tight groups but CCI standard velocity shot the cleanest, perfect functioning and shot groups as tight or better than the Eley.

· Registered
612 Posts
Mine sits on top of a dedicated Caspian frame that dates back to 1987. I had a six-inch Caspian upper on it and it was set-up for Bullseye. When the barrel reached the end of its useful life, I retired the slide. The hassles with finding six-inch recoil springs helped me decide to retire the slide versus rebarrelling. Adding the Marvel to a frame already set up for Bullseye made sense to me.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.