Rimfire Central Firearm Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well I've decided to succumb to the 17HRM. In the $600 range, what's available? I looked at an Anschutz in 22mag and felt good, can't remember model but was around $600, guy said they have it in 17 as well. Does Sako make a 17HRM?

Please be patient, I'm in LittleRock and we don't have a single CZ dealer in town that stocks any inventory. Lots of Rugers.

Any input will be appreciated.

Stan

·
Registered
22 Posts
Stan,

Everybody has their "pet" brand. With that said, I'll put my vote in for the Anschutz. I have a 1717HB and have been very happy with it's performance and it's fit/finish/feel. About the only thing you ever hear bad regarding an Anschutz is the price, so if you can find one in your price range I don't think that you would ever regret the choice.

Joeb

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
? concerning quality of Anschutz

Joe B, thank you for your response. When I went to Gunsamerica and priced 1717 was taken back with price of $1250. That's in the Cooper's price range. Can you give me comparison of the two +/-'s between the two.

Is this strictly a sporting rifle, by that I mean, is there a class you can compete in with this rifle?

Stan

·
Registered
22 Posts
Stan,

$1,250.00 is high. I purchased mine through a somewhat local dealer (75 miles) for around a $1,000.00 with a strap, swivel posts installed, scope bases, and tax. The kicker was that it was sitting on the self. I had one on order, for seven months (Feb through Sept), through a dealer in my town but he didn’t order many guns from the distributor that handles Anschutz and wasn’t getting much cooperation (the distributor was giving priority to his “regular” buyers).
As far as comparisons between Cooper and Anschutz, if you do some digging on the net you’ll find that most people either love or hate Coopers with not many in between. Some say they’re the greatest, but there are also quite a few complaints that if there is a problem with a Cooper that it can be very difficult to get it corrected. This is not personal experience but rather what I read while deciding which brand I wanted to buy. Another thing that I found interesting is that the ALL of the Cooper test targets are one ragged hole (3 shot group at I believe 50yds) and are worded something like “what this rifle is capable of”. What they don’t say is how many groups had to be shot before the test target group was produced. My Anschutz came with a 5 shot test target shot at 100 meters (110yds), that can be covered by a dime, with the heading “Original grouping of your rifle”. It’s splitting hairs since either gun will shoot better than I can but for that much money….. .
My decision was based on:

1) I wanted a heavy barrel and the Anschutz had a heavier barrel than the cooper LVT

2)I preferred the sporter style of the Anschutz as opposed to the beaver tail on the LVT

3) The Anschutz cost about $400.00 less

4) Based on what I read, the Anschutz had a better reputation for consistent accuracy along with a time proven action.

I’m not overly familiar with the Anschutz line, but they do have a 1517, that is similar, but has a different action that I believe is in the $600.00 range that you mentioned.
As far as competition goes, someone else will have to answer that, as I have no idea. I bought mine for an accurate and relatively quiet chuck gun here in my ever growing community where gunfire noise can alarm the new comers. So far, I am extremely happy with the performance of both the rifle and the 17 HMR.
Yeah, I know it’s an expensive gun for chucks, but that’s one benefit of being single.

·
Registered
32 Posts
I am very pleased with my Ruger 77/17 VMBBZ (the one with the laminated stock, stainless, heavy barrel). I got it for $459, and by the time I paid the shipping and transfer fee, had $494 in it- not too bad, as these guns go. It came with high rings, which always suit me just fine, and on the first trip to the range, I was shooting sub-MOA groups. This is pretty good when you consider I have made no modifications as yet to this rifle, although I'm waiting for shipment on the Volquartsen target sear, which should help the heavy (I'm guessing 7 or 8 pound) lawyer trigger. It got its first moving target the other day, a half-grown possum lunching at the compost heap. That was around a 50 yard shot, which took him in the head and he didn't move from that spot.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Like Rico 1 I too have the Ruger with lam stock and heavy barrel. It shoots Great! The only draw back that I can find with it is the trigger and mine is with a gunsmith at this very moment. I put a Redfield 3x9 on it and I am very happy with it. I paid just over $500 for the Ruger after tax. That will leave you with a little room to start hunting for some good optics to put on your rifle.

·
Registered
22 Posts
DON'T FORGET ABOUT THE MARLIN 17VS. I WAS DUMB AND PAID TO MUCH FOR MINE ABOUT A YEAR AGO. MY FRIEND AND I BOTH HAVE ONE. WE HAVE BOTH SHOT SEVERAL CLOVER LEAVES AND ONE HOLE GROUPS. I DID TRIGGER JOBS AND FLOATED THE BARRELS. THESE ARE SOME OF THE MOST ACCURATE GUNS I HAVE EVER SEEN. THERE ARE SEVERAL ON GUNBROKER.COM AND AUCTIONARMS.COM.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.