Rimfire Central Firearm Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
303 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have done a few mods to my 60 and have it pretty well. It shoots about .35 groups with Federal Bulk Pack. I am looking to try different types of ammunition perticularly ones with better quality from shot to shot. I was wondering if any of yall had a suggestion of where to start? Cant really get wolf or ely ammo so some of the more popular stuff. Thanks
aaro

·
Registered
1,907 Posts
Glad you got the 60 shooting, Aaro.

It's really hard to know just where to start. Here's what I like to do. Buy a box or two of just about any .22lr ammo you can find. Then start your "science project" at the range.

If you can find a good target you like with ten aim points, you can start a "log". (Sitting there trying to figure it out while you shoot is distracting and confusing. Don't bother. Have some fun shooting and analyse it later.) Try to use the same, or similar target. I like one printed on letter-size paper that fits in a manila folder, marked "If you run, you'll only die tired".

Number each group, adding the ammo specs, range and weather conditions. (I don't bother measuring each group, but you may want to.) Conditions and ammo specs (e.g. "Am/E HV 36grn HP" or "Blazer 40grn Sol") are important for obvious reasons. Numbering the group sequence is nice because you'll realize your first few groups were probably "sighters" or "foulers". (You may see a tightening trend later in the set.)

It's big fun for me and adds a sense of purpose to killing paper... when killing paper sometimes seems to lose its purpose. :p

Sprawling out on the bed in the evening with all my targets, squinting wisely at them, is almost as much fun as making them. :D

Good luck finding that pet ammo! :)
(Or you could forget all that and just buy a case of Am/E HV HP. :p )

-S

·
Registered
303 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks

Thanks guys
I kinda figured thats the way you guys would say to do it but I was hoping to make some suggestions on some good ammo with good quality control to keep from wasting money thats so tight right now! I thought of starting with the CCI standard velocity because its pretty cheap and the local hardware carries them. Oh well I guess Ill find out what I need one day.

·
Registered
156 Posts
a job? I would say the CCI standard velocity is more accurate then the remington and federal bulk packs in the majority of guns. Every once and a while you get one that shoots more accurate with junk ammo. Shoot 20 rounds of the junk ammo to warm up first, then do 10 round groups of each brand including the junk and see which works best for you.

·
Registered
1,664 Posts
Well said Spike52! That's my bag too! It seems I have more fun doing that than anything else. When I pull up at the public range and start unpacking my gear you should see the looks I get when they see I'm "only" shooting 22's..338 STW's and the like roaring and the pleasant little pop of my 22's :D ....aaro,I started by buying two boxes of each and everything that was with in my price range to shoot on a regular basis, and was readily available with in my peramiters to get a hold. I use a large square piece of cardboard with about thirty shoot n/c 2" targets at a range of 25 yards. This makes it easy to see at the range and easy to compare at a glance without having to thumb thru seperate targets for comparison when at home. Then I transfer the data into a notebook for referance and go back to the range with "precise" sighting targets and only the ammo that shot well on the shoot n/c's. I keep these targets in a folder. You'll get your own system and it'll be a blast too :t You should investigate the Paco tool, it's supposed to make even "bad" ammo more accurate. Mac :t

·
Registered
1,907 Posts
Thanks for the compliment, Mac.

You see, Aaro, here's what happens. You get to listening to these Steely-Eyed benchresters here, thinking you "gotta find" this ammo or that, then you're running around looking for ammo you don't have much of in your area...

Just kidding, Steely-Eyed Benchresters. You know your business far better than I'm ever likely to... but hey, it cuts into my plinking time. :p Guess that's what seperates the Plinkers from the Purse Winners... ;)

I shoot what I brung. The stores in my area have enough selection to keep me busy for months and months.

...In fact, my range dues are due! :eek:

-S

·
Registered
936 Posts
aaro said:
I have done a few mods to my 60 and have it pretty well. It shoots about .35 groups with Federal Bulk Pack. I am looking to try different types of ammunition perticularly ones with better quality from shot to shot. I was wondering if any of yall had a suggestion of where to start? Cant really get wolf or ely ammo so some of the more popular stuff. Thanks
aaro
Just wondering if your "60" is a Winchester model 60? I'm building one of those for my son at the moment...(Bet you have a Marlin tho' huh?)

TIA,

Dennis :Blasting_

BTW, If the hardware store has any Federal "American Eagle" you might give that a try. Comes in a 400 round "brick" (?!?) I've been messin' with it lately and getting some pretty good results! ;)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.