Rimfire Central Firearm Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello again Folks,
I wrote in yesterday in ref: to a .22 single shot I inherited, my great grandmother claimed it to be 100 years old.Ya'all turned me on to the cross ref: tables-Thanks!! My problem is the only identifying marks I can find on the gun are:1.Wards Westernfield 2..22S,L,LR 3.A small #4 with a circle around it where the barrel meets the reciever(left side) 4.The #4 inside the reciever (bottom of bolt tunnel).I cannot find a model 4 in the tables,if this is even the model #.The bolt has a round cocking knob at the rear.Where are the model #'s normally located? Thanks for any info.

·
Registered
1,778 Posts
That can be a problem w/the older rifles. I've got an old Marlin singleshot that has no ID marks (model/serial #'s) whatsoever.
One thing I might suggest would be to watch the firearms auction websites (Auctionarms.com or Gunbroker.com) and look for a gun that looks like yours. You might look under several discriptions. (Wards/Westernfield, Mossberg, .22 Single shot, etc). Try to cover all the bases on how a seller might possibly describe it. What might show up under one list might not in another.
There have been in recent week a few of the old plunger type Westernfield single shots listed. Seems like there might be one now. I'll check too.\
Didn't see anything listed currently. But I know there have been some recently. And VERY probably will be again soon. New guns are listed every day.
I'm a fan of Single Shots and watch those auctions. I'll keep an eye out for you.

·
Registered
1,778 Posts
While searching for info on your rifle, I noted that Westernfield sold the Marlin 101 as thier model 40. I checked the auction sites to see if any model 101's were for sale (to see the pics) but there were none.
BUT...I did my my unknown model Marlin. It is a model 100. And there is a Marlin Model 10 also. Both of these are basically the same rifle action as is the model 101.
Do a Gunbroker.com search for the Marlin models 100 & 10 and see if your rifle looks like them.
P.S.: If it does, it's not 100yrs old.

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks Fatstrat

For replying,I checked out gunbroker & the mdl 100 was close,except for my stock being shaped different & my rear sight being dinky in comparison.My rifle does have the metal buttplate & the cocking knob is more bulb shaped.What vintage is the mdl 100?I like the old single shots too.I'm always checking the pawn shops for inexpensive rimfire projects, especially anything for leftys-which I'm yet to find.My wife likes it,says it's alot cheaper than chrome motorcycle parts.Thanks for all your help.

·
Registered
1,778 Posts
Check out my thread on the Marlin forum "Old Marlin single shot". Someone posted pics of his model 100 that was made for Sears under the J.C. Higgins brand name. It's different than my rifle. (stock shape & rear sights). Looks more like the more modern Model 10. See how it compares w/yours.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.