Rimfire Central Firearm Forum banner

Where to find Medalist Barrel?

558 7
I have a Challenger II. It has an excellent trigger and is fairly accurate for a "field gun". I understand that barrels are interchangable with the Medalist, but looking around in the internet I couldn't find a Medalist Barrel.
Are they really that hard to find?
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
5,604 Posts
Won't fit. Scroll down to the last picture on post #11. The fastening means is entirely different.

http://www.rimfirecentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=232171

I've owned/shot/lusted over many Brownings and the ones I've shot have all been accurate pistols regardless of the barrel. At one time or another a particular barrel had extra appeal. Of course, the Medalist will probably never be matched for its combination of workmanship and curb appeal.

The barrels are scarce. You could try "jnh13" on Gunbroker for Belgian-generation (Medalist/Challenger/Nomad) parts. Challenger II, III and Buck Marks are US pistols. There's a site I have visited with a number of interesting pistols that look to be reasonably priced shooters. Never bought anything from them myself - at least so far:

http://www.simpsonltd.com/index.php?cPath=156_221

Sometimes oddball parts just show up on auction sites. Last night I was high (only) bidder on these parts:

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.asp?Item=103850643

I don't care what they really fit because I can use any out-of-print Browning parts, especially "for cheap". The seller lists them as Challenger parts but something looked odd. Any guesses? I'm assuming the title of your post will bring in the experts on the older Brownings..........chim

·
Premium Member
30,507 Posts
As chim stated, the Challenger II barrels only fit the Challenger II. Besides, the last Medalist barrel (new) cost me $200 complete. The previous one (International Medalist) cost about $90, but was missing the sights. I had to look high and low to find the sights. The Medalist barrels are highly sought after. So many people over the years purchased Medalist barrels and stocks to put on their Challengers to have a look alike Medalist. They still didn't have the "dry fire" mechanism or the correct serial number or the case with all the accessories. If you are trying to get a Medalist it is much cheaper to purchase a used one in excellent condition, for around $800 or less, than to build one.

·
Registered
271 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Somewhere in my recent reading, I thought I could put a Medalist Barrel on my Challenger II.
My 1981 Challenger II has a tapered barrel subject to some wiggle. Also, the sights are low. Buckmarks have bull barrels and better sights. I wonder if they are more accurate?
A Medalist barrel/sights would have been a shortcut to an accurate target pistol. The trigger on mine is allready superb!
The ultimate target pistol may be the Medalist? Are there any Buckmarks that come close to the Medalist?

·
Premium Member
30,507 Posts
Somewhere in my recent reading, I thought I could put a Medalist Barrel on my Challenger II.
My 1981 Challenger II has a tapered barrel subject to some wiggle. Also, the sights are low. Buckmarks have bull barrels and better sights. I wonder if they are more accurate?
A Medalist barrel/sights would have been a shortcut to an accurate target pistol. The trigger on mine is allready superb!
The ultimate target pistol may be the Medalist? Are there any Buckmarks that come close to the Medalist?
A simple answer to your question is NO.
The Medalist is the top of the line 22lr pistol that Browning ever made. It, and the other Belgium Browning guns, were designed by Bruce Browning (John Moses Browning's grandson). They were an improvement over John Browning's Colt Woodsman design. The Belgium guns have an easily removable barrel, a better trigger, a rear sight that doesn't move with the slide, and a much easier take down. Many of these improvements are still seen in the BuckMarks. The Challenger II is the first USA made 22 lr to be a descendant of the Belgium Guns. It has a steel frame and a modern grip angle, but isn't quite as refined as the Belgium Brownings. The Challenger III is similar to the BuckMark and uses an alloy frame and a cheaper way to manufacture the slide and frame. chim is an expert at these guns. You should check out his website.
http://chim.embarqspace.com/#/welcome/4529564701

The best way to get a top of the line Medalist is to look at the auction sites for one that is slightly used and they usually go for under $800 with all of the accessories. Keep in mind that these guns weren't D&T for rails because scopes weren't used much on pistols when they were made. A cheap way to get a similar gun to the Medalist is to look for an original Belgium Challenger which uses the same basic frame and slide of the Medalist, but doesn't have the heavy ventilated rib barrel or the fancy stocks. A used, but excellent, Challenger should run around $350 with an original mag. Those mags are getting expensive, but Colt Cadet mags can be modified to work.

·
Premium Member
30,507 Posts
For those who want the Belgium quality and design without spending a fortune you can get the Challenger and buy an extra barrel, for about $75, and D&T the extra barrel. I know chim had one that he put a small Docter red dot sight on it.
Browning Challenger w/ Colt Cadet mag.

Browning Challenger w/ Red Dot

Browning Challenger w/ Red Dot & Suppressor

Browning Medalists

BME makes a clamp on mount for a Weaver rail to clamp onto the Browning Medalist ventilated rib. I don't know how well it works because I have never bought one.

·
Premium Member
30,507 Posts
Won't fit. Scroll down to the last picture on post #11. The fastening means is entirely different.

http://www.rimfirecentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=232171

I've owned/shot/lusted over many Brownings and the ones I've shot have all been accurate pistols regardless of the barrel. At one time or another a particular barrel had extra appeal. Of course, the Medalist will probably never be matched for its combination of workmanship and curb appeal.

The barrels are scarce. You could try "jnh13" on Gunbroker for Belgian-generation (Medalist/Challenger/Nomad) parts. Challenger II, III and Buck Marks are US pistols. There's a site I have visited with a number of interesting pistols that look to be reasonably priced shooters. Never bought anything from them myself - at least so far:

http://www.simpsonltd.com/index.php?cPath=156_221

Sometimes oddball parts just show up on auction sites. Last night I was high (only) bidder on these parts:

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.asp?Item=103850643

I don't care what they really fit because I can use any out-of-print Browning parts, especially "for cheap". The seller lists them as Challenger parts but something looked odd. Any guesses? I'm assuming the title of your post will bring in the experts on the older Brownings..........chim
All of the Medalists that Simpson has on their website are International Medalists with the 5.9" barrel. They have the earlier version with the ventilated rib and the later version with the adjustable weight. For anyone interested you should be aware that the ventilated rib International Medalist doesn't have the dovetail groove for the weight or the threaded hole for the forearm. They also have stocks that are not as nice as the regular Medalist. These appear to have come from a range or shooting team that was using them for practice.
I also wonder if all of these Medalists are import marked because they probably came from Europe.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.