Rimfire Central Firearm Forum banner

Where have all the 582's gone?

287 Views 2 Replies 2 Participants Last post by  coloradogeezer
I don't really need one at all, I guess, since I already have a 581 and just got an Anschutz 1416 D KL brand new. Even so, I always liked the fact that the 582's had the tube magazine and could easily be fed .22 shorts and longs, unlike the magazine on the 581 that likes LR's or Longs only from the magazine. And, the Longs need a little prodding at that. I saw 2 of the 582's recently on the auction sites, but the one there now is a little ROUGH for my tastes, and the other one before was New Unfired, but the guy wanted more than $275 for it, (my high bid) and still didn't meet his minimum. Ridiculous!

The thing that puzzles me is that I think the Remington website actually shows that there were MORE 582's produced than 581's. Even so, I hardly ever see 582's for sale on the internet sites, but 581's seem to pop up fairly often. What gives?
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

· Registered
4,029 Posts
Probably because most of the guys that got 'em, keep 'em ;) . I have a Dec 1972 model with walnut stock. The metal is probably 98% & the wood has a few dings & safe rash :rolleyes: , but otherwise looks nice. I like it and it's a good plinker but so far I haven't found the ammo it likes to make it nearly as accurate as my two 581's (both of which shoot better'n me on any given day). 'Course one of them has a 541T barrel and they're both wearing walnut 541 stocks from Numrich, I take the 582 out occasionally & exercise her a little but until I find that "magic" load, she'll probably remain a safe queen as far as small game hunting or serious plinking. Here's a not too good pic -

· Registered
846 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Looks nice!

Your 582 looks like it is in almost exactly the same condition as my 581. My 581 actually shoots just a "hair" better than my new Anschutz 1416, but not by much. I think your probably right, in that a lot of the NICER 582's like yours are "kept" by their owners who realize that it would be pretty hard to find another tube-fed .22 bolt of such quality and accuracy. Frankly, I think that the only way you get the overall accuracy level of the 580 series Rems would be too move up to at LEAST a CZ rimfire.

I have a bunch of the old Remington advertising brochures from 1971 to about 1978 and I love to look at the advertising and pics of the 580 series, nylon 66, and 541's, etc. Brings back a TON of good memories!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.