Rimfire Central Firearm Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,778 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Years ago, before the internet, I used a variety of books/sources to research my firearms finds. Price guides and Numrich arms cataloges were always a big help. Later as became more milsurp oriented, I found I needed more specific references and the internet was a Godsend. But now I'm back to good old American .22's. And Mam there alot of makes and models over the years. And I am finding that. particularly on some of the earlier models, even basic info can be hard to find. Even on the net.
So I'm wondering what reference books you find most helpfull when you have a "Whatsit" or "when was it made" question. I'm sure nearly every make has it's own reference books, but I'm looking for the 1 best, all incompassing reference book. Which one do you find yourself reaching for most often?

·
Registered
1,718 Posts
That's an excellent question ! I don't think any "one book" meets the requirement ... I use the "Bluebook of Gun Values" to identify firearms and for basic information not so much values, "The Rifle in America" by Phil Sharp for rifles mfg'd prior to 1949, "The Winchester 52" for 52 information obviously, and a collection of past "shooters bibles" and "gun digests" ...

And, jog the memories of people on RFC ... ALOT of knowlegable people here who can provide some accurate information in a colorful manner ! ! ! :D

·
Registered
1,567 Posts
I have accumulated a complete collection of NRA American Rifleman Magazines back to the early 1930's. I can usually find something on just about any gun by searching the yearly indexes. Unfortunately, they do take up some space and it would be great if they were on a CD, but I don't believe anyone has done this yet.

·
Registered
13,322 Posts
Don't know about the best reference book - do a search on this, as there was a thread with a fantastic .22 gun book list - had at least 30 titles from now back into 1930's, if memory serves.

A new one will soon be published by Krause Publications. The authors name is Jim House. Don't know if it is out yet, but I read about it in a magazine named The Backwoodsman , where he wrote a good article about the .17 rimfire rifle.

If the author did as good a job on this book as his pellet rifles books - the book will be worth buying.

Hope this helps.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.