Rimfire Central Firearm Forum banner
1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
I have shot many subsonics, but Agulia SuperExtra 38 grain subsonics are the best subsonic out of my 16 ½" 452 American. It shoots very well at 25 yds(sub 1/2") and very good at 50yds (Sub 7/8"). Of course that is not as good as good match ammo, but it shoots better than any other subsonic I've shoot. It is also the quietest subsonic ( that doesn't include CB caps or colibries) I've shoot as well. It is very quiet out the rifle and whisper quiet with my YHM Mite screwed on. Check out the reviews of others on the link below. SS

http://www.midwayusa.com/eproductpage.exe/showproduct?saleitemid=386774

·
Registered
1,206 Posts
If you're looking for real good accuracy, Lapua Master M, or Eley Match Semi-Auto

·
Registered
747 Posts
If we're talking strictly stuff labeled subsonic Eley Subsonic Hollow Points if you can find them, and RWS Subsonic Hollow Points are neck and neck in my Trainer. Some days one will shoot better, and other days the other will. If you check the SS/B forum I have qualified for the Sawdust challenge (sub 1/4 groups at 25 yards), and the 13mm Funner (sub 13mm or .512 inches at 50 yards) using the Eley.

If we're talking target ammo which is all generally either subsonic or standard velocity I've never bought anything over $6 a box, but of what I have tried Eley Club Xtra EPS (no longer made), and SK Rifle Match are neck and neck, and will shoot atleast as well as the Subs through my Trainer.

·
Registered
918 Posts
Eley SS HP & RWS SS HP neck & neck in my 452 Am. also! Have shot the Eley's a lot and am sure of em but just got the RWS and have not shot that many but am 98% sure of em so far! SK SS HP' did ok but not as good as expected seeing as SK Match is THE #1 ammo in my rifle & SK HV HP is it's best HV round! CCI SS HP are So So like the SK. Haven't tried Aquila yet?

·
Registered
327 Posts
Well as I have said before the best that I have found is the Australian made Winchester Subs that now come in a Blue box. I shot a group of just under .200" with this this other week at 25 meters rested and others of .350" and 0.400".

Oh those were 4 shot groups as I was practicing and trying out ammo for the Cheap Ammo Challange.

·
Premium Member
58,674 Posts
Sure would be nice if we could just tell new CZ/Brno owners go buy this brand or that brand for target or hunting, its never been that simple for me at least. Subsonics of some flavor are an excellent place to start, thus my modding my CZ511 to shoot subsonics, the more expensive brands are most apt to shoot well (that extra money usually buys consistancy), but CZ's and Brno's do have a delightful tendency to shoot inexpensive to moderately expensive ammo also, so buy a box of whatever you can find and try it out, let us know the results.

Gerald

·
Registered
1,631 Posts
Pretty much all match ammo is subsonic....

Eley runs from 1030 to 1085 and Lapua is all under 1080, which is approx. the speed of sound at sea level. A good mid price range ammo that very often gets good results in CZs is Wolf Match Target aka SK Standard Plus. I use it in all my CZs for target shooting and Eley Sport for plinking.

·
Registered
138 Posts
Lapua Master L lot # *8000U yeilds consistant sub- half inch groups at 50 yards in my 452 American with a Sightron 3-9x36. Each rifle is an individual and what works in mine may not work as well in in yours. Testing different brands and types is half the fun ! Good luck.

·
Registered
1,275 Posts
On a decent day I've had Eley Sport stay inside a 3/4" dot at 50 yards. The Eley Sport shoots pretty well from the 453 Varmiter and the cost of the ammo doesn't dig too deep in the wallet.

·
Registered
36 Posts
My 452 Varmint seems to like the Remington Subs, I have 1 or 2 "off" shots per 100.
These are groups with Remington Subsonics. They are shot from prone with a bi-pod and rear bag.
The 50 yard target is 4 shot groups.

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Here's the list I just ordered from midway:

SK match
SK subsonic
Aguila match rifle
Remington subsonic
Aguila subsonic 38 gr
Aguila subsonic 40 gr

and I plan to pick up some Wolf from Gander Mountain.

Is that a good start?

·
Premium Member
58,674 Posts
Sounds like a good beginning to me, let us know how it turns out, learning the rifles likes and dislikes is a big part of the fun.

Gerald

·
Registered
2,921 Posts
Well as I have said before the best that I have found is the Australian made Winchester Subs that now come in a Blue box.
After trying a few I have the same preference, Eley's are ok, but stopping power is not so good.
CCI 40 grain subsonics are rubish, hard to chamber, lots of flyers, my first fail to fire (and the 2nd to 5th) also about 20% of them went supersonic :eek:
Actually so bad I returned them to the shop, he didn't seem very surprised, in-fact said don't try stingers either then. ???
Also tried a few odd's the shop had instock, and some Remington subs.

Neil. :)

·
Registered
104 Posts
Whats your cz,s favourite sub sonic ammo

Hi,i have to agree with that the Eley subs are great for accuracy and consistency but the lack of stopping power on rabbits and squirells etc has been noted by several people.Obviously its no good having good stopping power if you cant hit the target but Winchester and Lapua seem to have the accuracy consistency and stopping power. i will probably go for Eley as my boss can get it for me cheaper than the other brands. Steve.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.