Rimfire Central Firearm Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
at 50 yards with a Benchmark? I just shot mine for the first time today with a variety of ammo - from Eley to Federal Value Pak. When the wind wasn't blowing 25 mph, I got about a 3/4". I was actually surprised at the Federal Value Pak. It would hold about a 1" group at 50 yard without any wind. The Federal Value Pak also had the widest dispersion of groups during wind gust. I had not expected such an increase in group size with the Federal Value Pak. I also shot Green Tag and CCI Mini Mags. The Mini Mags did not fair very well with this gun.

Anyway, I am wondering what I can expect on a calm day at 50 yards from a Benchmark shooting from the bench.

·
Registered
7 Posts
My best groups on a calm day shooting - get this - Winchester bulk :eek: - at 50 yards is 1/4". This would be with a stock Marlin 60 scoped. Irons brings it to 1/2" - 1" groups. Of course not all ammo shoots that good, I normally get 1/2" groups with various ammo.

·
Registered
653 Posts
Shot this 3 shot group at a match at our local gun club last weekend. The red dot in the center measures 10mm diameter. Won the match with it too. Ruger 10/22 with Butler Creek Heavy Barrell, BSA Deerhunter 6-24X50 AO, Boyds thumbhole stock, Chasers skull mag release, Eley Club Extra 40 gn RN. 100 feet from the bench to target.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Best group size with a Benchmark

I zero-ed mine last weekend with a cheap Fitco 10-40x50mm set to 16 power.

Firing prone with bipod. Eley Practice (Tenex Ultimate EPS factor rejects),
I got down just under 1/2 inch at 50 yards.

With cheapo CCI Blazer. 3/4 inch at 50 yards and POI was 1 inch higher
than 1080fps standard velocity stuff.

Also tried Federal Lightening 710, very similar groups to the CCI Blazer.

The scope I used was junk, it came "free" with the rifle. I am not a very
experienced rifle shooter, so I think the groups can be improved upon.
I am putting better glass on it this week (Elite 3200 5-15x50mm) and
will try shooting some serious groups.

This is a great rifle, a true TVP Target Varimant Precision !

·
Registered
37 Posts
My R-55 Classic does 0.3-0.5 at 50 yds with Dynapoints

on a good day. Trigger is the limiter in my opinion. My old model Classic was returned to T/C for reliability issues but it actually shot a 10 round group into 1 hole that was 0.24 EDGE-EDGE!!! at 50' indoors and was a solid 0.25" CTC 50 yarder. Problem with it was that I was hard pressed to shoot 2 mags without a stuck case.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Dobe, if you aren't happy call T/C, they'll fix it or replace it.

If you don't have and use a bore snake you should give it a try 1st. There were 2 issues that I could see with the old Classics, very tight chambers and a thin knife edge slot to allow the extractor to grab the rim. My second gun actually had bulge and then a chip form in the sidewall of the chamber at that spot. Good luck, they are great little rifles when you get a good one.:t :t

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 · (Edited)
I have no doubt that they are great rifles. That is why I have the 2nd one (benchmark). I have just returned home, and will be taking the All Weather to the range again this weekend. If it hasn't improved, I will take it back. If you look closely at that thread, you will see that the FTF's are less pronounced than when I first bought the rifle. I don't know excactly what parts are "wearing in", but I do know that my All Weather requires a very clean chamber.

See thread below.
http://www.rimfirecentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=221846

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Benchmark to the range today

I shot Green Tag as well as Federal and Remington Value Pak. I can hardly believe it, but the Remington Value Pak will hold a half inch at fifty yards. The Green Tag about and inch, and the Federal Value Pak about one and a half inches at fifty yards. I would not have believe it, if I hadn't seen it myself.

I guess I'll stock up on Remington Value Pak.

Guess I'll be a Wal Mart tomorrow.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.