Rimfire Central Firearm Forum banner

Whats the market price for a pre ban 10/22?

739 Views 4 Replies 3 Participants Last post by  AK
Just wondering what everyone is seeing for pre ban Ruger 10/22 prices. From what I've seen locally it varies greatly. Anywhere from $165 to $250+ And thats for a basic gun without any major accessories.

Thanks,

Rob
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

· Registered
5,438 Posts
I don't know what the big deal is about being preban unless it already has a "evil feature" that was installed before the ban. I have a couple of used ones that were made in the early 80's and the most I paid was $119 and it was in mint shape. The other one I bought was only $100 with some minor blemishes.

AK

· Registered
222 Posts
I have to side with AK.

I can't think of any difference between a pre-ban and post-ban factory 10/22. Unless it has an aftermarket folding stock or high capacity magazine, someone is trying to get you to spend more for a 10/22 than you need to.

· Registered
308 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
As most readers of this post probably know the only difference is that pre ban guns were made prior to Sept 13, 1994. By being made prior to that date they are grandfathered so as to allow them to have the folding stock plus other "evil features" as Rimfire Sports said.

RF Sports, not sure if you meant to imply that hi cap mags (those over 10rds) can be used only in pre ban guns. If that is what you meant it is not correct. Over 10 rd mags manufactured prior to 9-13-94 can be used legally in post ban guns. But you probably know that.

Anyway, my question was meant to inquire as to current market values of these pre ban guns - not necessarily the desirability of such guns.

While only some people will want to trick out their 10/22s with folding stocks and such, certainly the prices of the pre ban guns will have to go up as their availability will only decrease in the future.

ak47heavymetal, I wish I could find any type of 10/22 for $100-$120. I think you got killer deals on those pre ban guns. Were they private sales?

Rob

· Registered
5,438 Posts
I just keep a close eye on the pawn and gunshops.:D The cheapest that I have paid for a 10/22 is $70 but it had a few minor problems and I got it from my cousin.

I am sure you know this but unless the preban 10/22 had a folding stock installed on it before the ban took effect you can not put a folding stock on it even if the rifle was made before 9/13/94. :( Your also suppose to be able to prove that it had the folding stock with a sales slip or photo which is a bunch of BS in my opinion.:mad: It's not like the stock is going to grow a mind of it's own and become something "evil":rolleyes: We can only hope that the ban sunsets next year.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.