Rimfire Central Firearm Forum banner

What's the latest cz 452 safety conversion

2590 Views 14 Replies 12 Participants Last post by  Dave G
Can gunsmiths convert it or are there conversions out there now? Last I heard they were running at $50.
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

· Registered
508 Posts
One good reason is to have the Safe-Fire lever work in the same direction as the rest of the world - "Forward is Fire." Levergunners, who cock a hammer, seem to like this current system, but I don't care for "Rear to Fire."

There was a gunsmith a few years ago who ran 50 or so "proper" safeties together and put them up for sale, but they didn't sell well, and I haven't heard of anyone else doing it.

Jaywalker

· Registered
13,239 Posts
I was told that a gunsmith located in Austin Texas did this conversion, but do not know if they still do it. I've just resigned my self to just get used to it - too many rifles to convert anyway.

But I do agree - it is aggravating at times. :mad:

· Registered
1,551 Posts
To me it's like the windshield wiper lever in your car. Some carmakers put it on the left side of the steering wheel, some put it on the right. I just got used to it, and now it's second nature when I have the rifle in my hands.

Chunckchucker

· Premium Member
3,162 Posts
who cares at least if that safety is on that firing pin isnt going to touch the rim and set it off. very good for hunting!

i will say i like the old hammer guns with half cock safety. my brother doesnt he cant quite get the whole hold hammer while pulling trigger thing down...at least he wont try it with a loaded gun (it was my grandfathers winchester 62 pump we were using)

· Registered
2,412 Posts
I've gotta tell ya, with two of the Wisner CZ safety mods, I could not be happier.

At least to me, it's much more natural to use my thumb to push the safety to the fire position, very doable even with the rifle already on target.

· Registered
259 Posts
I like the CZ safety because you can actually SEE the safety engage the firing pin and understand how it works. This gives me a lot better feeling than some little button whose working is somewhat of a mystery.

· Registered
17 Posts
I have several complaints about the 452 Safety:

1. It is hard to operate. It does take considerable force to manouver. To release as well as to engage. The lever is too small.

2. It is, due to it's basic construction, very noicy. There is no sneaking up to unsuspecting game with a chambered round and then releasing that clickety–CLONK!!! Game gone/over.

3. It does operate "the wrong way", "backwards", which isn't such a big deal. But annoying it certainly is.

I have modified and polished the original safety to adress #1–2, with limited success. It is possible too smooth it somewhat, to make it easier to operate, but not by much and still have a "safe" safety. The Wisner safety is easier to operate since the larger lever is more to hold onto. It doesn't do much to reduce noice except to offer a lever which can be dampend by braking tumb pressure and indirectly slow down the "slamming in position". It's marginal.

The Wisner lever certainly fixes the #3.

I think CZ should consider modifying the safety after the Wisner pattern. Particulary now when US is the large market for these rifles. The Wisner resembles the Winchester M-70 safety, in apperance and operation. It's a safety construction that is both popular and very functional indeed. The only thing missing are the three positions. CZ is now adressing the poor trigger problem with the introduction of the 453 model. Maybe the safety conversion could be incorporated in the next(?) model 454?

The Wisner safety was expensive. It was hard work to fit and install. But it did improve the ergonomics of my Brno 452 rifle.

· Registered
595 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
452 safety

I figure it will cost about $400 for a CZ and safety which is too much to suit me. I could get a nice varmint rifle for a little more than that. A salesman sold one and told me the owner said there wasn't anything special about it. So there isn't any guarantee you will get a good one. I've seen a lot on the net about them but they haven't caught on locally at all.

It's the first time I heard about a 453 model so it might be worth the wait.

My other two choices are a 10/22 which can be modified if necessary, for about $360 or less which is still a lot.

Or a Savage Mark II LH which might have extraction problems and not have the accuracy of a Green Mountain 10/22 barrel. The trigger can be replaced which is a major pro. It is a cheaply made rifle.

Since a .22 rimfire's maximum practical range is about 75 yards, $350+ is still an awful lot for one.

· Registered
436 Posts
REA said:
Mark II LH which might have extraction problems and not have the accuracy of a Green Mountain 10/22 barrel. The trigger can be replaced which is a major pro. It is a cheaply made rifle.
I've got one; the trigger and safety are both rougher than the CZ. Don't know where you're getting the info on extraction problems :confused: As with the CZ, they can be improved with little/no $$$. Both got better simply by shooting a couple of hundred rounds. The savage pull/creep gets better by shimming the back of the trigger group. There is Brookie's kit for the CZ, or simply shim/change springs on your own.

I think its funny that folks feel so strongly over the 'reversed' safety; I never would have noticed it until someone pointed it out :D

· Registered
595 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
To Homersapien,

I've seen a few posts on Savage extraction problems and a Remingtom 514 I've got drives me nuts with that problem. It had a new extractor put in but didn't help. Soft metal wore out.

You have probably heard of the Basix trigger for the Savage which is what I would get.

It also bothers me that I had a Marlin 781 and the bolt handle broke off. Ditto the 514. That's what I mean by cheap rifles. The savage clips are the cheapest part of the rifle.
I don't know, but think the Ruger is built better.

· Registered
29 Posts
CZ Safety Conversion

I have spokento the folks at CZ about this three times, twice on the phone and once in person at the Harrisburg PA show.

They have no intentions of making the safety work the other way (push forward is off) since a liability issue now develops because of the previous models with the safety working in the other direction.

They are such good people to deal with I didn't press them to hard on the issue...

Dave

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.