Rimfire Central Firearm Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
406 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What's the difference CCI+V & CCI TNT

I was wondering what the difference is with these two rounds ? I can get the +V locally but can't find the TNT anywhere around where I live .
I know that SKI and ChiefDave swear by the TNT . I am just wondering if the +V holds up to the TNT accuracy wise .
Thanks guys

·
Registered
5,553 Posts
The CCI +V has a regular hollow point and the CCI TNT ammo is loaded with a speer tnt hollow point. I believe that they both travel at 2200 fps. I like the TNT myself because they are very accurate and have a great "poof" factor. The best place that has them is Natchez Shooters Supply. They are on sale right now until the end of December.

·
Registered
406 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
That figures ....

I live in Georgia so Natchez wont sell to me . Thanks for the info .
Has anyone out there tested these side by side ? Just wondering if one has the edge on the other ??????????

·
Registered
20,556 Posts
Chief says : YES : tested them till there were no more test left
to do . Ak47heavymetal has summed it up perfectly in his
description of the two.
Identical in every way , except the Speer PROJECTILE in the
TNT. Same velocity, ect.
Some say the "+V" may have an edge over the "TNT" in the
accuracy department. I can buy that due to the massive style
hollow-point of the TNT.
Yet either , in my tests WILL penetrate "threat level IIIA , Kevlar"
(Bullet Proof Vests) when fired from a rifle at minimum distance.

NOT at much over 20 yards= maximum distance. But this is the
same material that will stop a 240 gr -44 cal. slug @ 975fps,
and stop it with zero penetration.

Summing it up= ONE MEAN rimfire round. Not to say other
22 magnum brands wont do the same . TNT just does it easier.

CHIEFDAVE

·
Registered
1,364 Posts
hey chiefdave

how do the winchester supremes stack up to these two rounds? If you use the physics of energy = 1/2 m v^2 . doesnt the winchester supremes have more energy? will they go through the kevlar vest. Curious because i am looking for a bada** round to use for groundhogs, and first priority is damage, and then i need accuracy ( 90% shooting is under 100 yds).

·
Registered
20,556 Posts
Chief says : The TNT beats the Supreme out with Velocity
At 2200+ for the TNT compared to the 1965 fps Win Sup.
MORE VELOCITY = more power , AT ANY RANGE.

i tested every possible 22 magnum ammo on the market.
in the same length barrel , on the vest-test .
Supremes penetrated but didnt exit out the back of the vest.
REM's either , neither did any of the ammo ,except the
+V and TNT'S = standard maxi mags = not 1/2 way.

·
Banned
761 Posts
22mag

The Winchester Supreme velocity is 2,100+ 34gr. bullet! And it will do every bit of that out of my Ruger VMBZ. The CCI +V I got over 2,300fps for a 30gr. bullet. Mag-Check

·
Registered
88 Posts
it would seem the +V is best for penetration on larger game, the TNT is better for expansion in smaller game.

I'm pretty happy with my plain maxi-mags (40gr, smaller expansion cup as with the +V) but I plan to try out both types of 30gr CCI cartridge before too long.

·
Banned
761 Posts
22mag

The CCI +V is the best Hyper velocity 22 magnum ammo for penetration it works as good or better then the 40gr. 22 magnum ammo its weight retension is not as good from what Ive seen it will drop about half of its weight but it still penetrates as far as most of the 40gr. ammo will! Mag-Check

·
Registered
156 Posts
Differences

wareagle said:
I was wondering what the difference is with these two rounds ? I can get the +V locally but can't find the TNT anywhere around where I live .
I know that SKI and ChiefDave swear by the TNT . I am just wondering if the +V holds up to the TNT accuracy wise .
Thanks guys
Wareagle,

A lot boils down to the type of rifle you are using and what your particular rifle shoots accurately. Generally the TNT round is more explosive on smaller critters; ( ****, Porcupines, P-Dogs ect...) The +V ammo is a real killer for larger small game! :t

My Marlin 882SSV likes the TNT'S over the +V'S. My Accelerator prefers the +V ammo over the TNT. :confused:

Remember, Tests are just that and nothing more. Can't remember ever going out hunting Kevlar Vests, only real world critters. Critters take a round much differently than say a concrete block, ballistic gelatin or even kevlar!

Mag-check hit the nail on the head with velosities thru his gun, My Marlin nearly mirrors is crony results. :Blasting_

C.D. Not trying to slam you at all. I enjoy the shooting info you present to all the shooting crowd, just trying to add a different perspective. :confused:

1722Magman

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.