Rimfire Central Firearm Forum banner

What works in bags besides sand?

1000 Views 15 Replies 16 Participants Last post by  El Paso Mark
Have you had any good results using something other than sand in your suede bags? I prefer to keep sand away from my guns and every sand bag either leaks or is about to leak--in my experience. What else seems to work? Anyone ever try walnut shell media from your reloading rig?
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

· Registered
3,017 Posts
recumbent said:
I have never had a Protektor bag leak or seen one leak.
:yeahthat: My experience with the suede bags is they don't hold their shape. Makes no difference what you put in them. I just upgraded to Protektor bags front and rear. I've spent too much money messing with less expensive bags. Buy a Protektor filled bag and be done with it. :t

· Registered
3,500 Posts
I have cheap suede bags and use sand, have yet to have a problem. Only time I've had sand leak is using old shot bags at the range .... btw how do people get so ignorant that they shoot the darn bags?

Dave Z.

· Registered
2,619 Posts
gmcfixer said:
.... btw how do people get so ignorant that they shoot the darn bags?

Dave Z.
There's a good question. Or the folding chairs, or the wooden legs on the target stand, or the trash cans, or the range sign, etc etc.

I just try to remember that half of the population has an IQ lower than 100, and too many of those act accordingly...

I'm a little irritated because I returned from the range today and found some stuff shot up.

Ben

· Registered
8 Posts
Pertaining shooting of the sand bags.......I had purchased a Ruger Redhawk 44 mag with a 7 1/2 inch barrel. I had used these particular sandbags made of shot bags for many years with my rifles. Never had I shot a pistol from a bench position before. I placed the barrel on the sandbags making sure the muzzle blast wouldn't touch the bags. After 4 or 5 shots I noticed that there was sand on the bench top. I had forgotten about the cylinder blast from the revolver. It had blown a hole in the bag and was spilling sand all over the bench top. I'm glad that it wasn't my good sandbag that was ruined.

· Registered
351 Posts
mountainman2,
If you hear a munching sound comming from your bag, you've got worms. It happened in a bag of bird seed I had stored in my garage had a hell of a time finding where that "munch-munch-munch" sound was comming from. But don't worry, the birds love the worms.
Bill

· Registered
2,482 Posts
I use granulated polyethylene for my field model Bull's Bag. About one-half to one-third the weight of sand, which makes it much easier to transport. I haven't tried it in a Protektor. I buy mine pre-filled and don't experience any sand leaks.

· Registered
256 Posts
I've used popcorn kernals for sometime now

as Pdwight sez tho, have been worried about mold or swell, but I guess
its been maybe 2 years since my latest "bags" have been in use (no prob yet)

I just leave the popcorn in the bag they came in, then slip the whole thing
into an old sock (waterproof ?)

then I bought some cheap plastic baskets (maybe 10"x6") I throw the 'rests' in,
then when I get where I am going, flip basket over, place 'rest' on top of basket
as a stand (been working for me and it's as cheap as one can get)

just my "economy-way" of doing it, when all of us go shooting at same time

(ps: I also have a stand and good leather sand-bags)

safe shooting :)

· Registered
828 Posts
Bird shot (Lead). I originally filled my first bags with I think #7 shot, but it's expensive, and heavy!

Cheers,

Mark

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.