Rimfire Central Firearm Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

· Registered
1,708 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was camping last weekend and took the 550-1 that I just acquired.

Shot and shot without a jam, doesn't care what you feed it, and is truly a tack driver. Handles and points like a fine shotgun.
From what I understand, even after two years of tweaks and magazine give aways, the newest Rem. semi model still has jamming issues.

Is aluminum and plastic that cheap that you'd throw out a design like the 550?

Fortunately, there's a lot of old 550-1s around.

· Registered
7,290 Posts
Eric2.... and you think the 597 is better looking??? :D :D :D My sides are hurting from laughing so hard!!

Although I agree that the 550 isn't the prettiest thing around (but I sure wouldn't call it ugly), the ones I've been around are tack drivers.

· Registered
1,708 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Forgetaboutit...

I sincerely apologize to 597 folks and the forum in general. I did not mean to start a food fight.

i was just curious about why Remington decided the 550 or any design was a bad idea. Maybe it *was* too ugly for the market.

BTW, nice group Erick2.

· Registered
127 Posts
Yeah I think aluminum and plastic are that much cheaper to make. For one, plastic doesn't have to be machined, they just mold the shape they want. Aluminum cuts way faster than steel and usually prolongs tool life so you can use the same cutter more times cutting aluminum than you can cutting steel, thus saving money and tool change time. You can usually cut much deeper and faster cutting aluminum so you make less passes faster than if cutting steel.

· Registered
7,290 Posts
oquirrh.... sorry, guess I'm just getting too opinionated in my old age. I like the old stuff... newest long gun I own is a 592.

Being a retired CNC machine tech., I believe they could, with CNC technology, make good steel rifles for a reasonable price. Good example is the (excuse my language) Winchester Model 70 controlled feed. A big reason they went to push bolt was the expense of machining. After CNCs were available, they came back with it (with some modifications), but you can bet they wouldn't have if they still had to machine the parts the old way. Real machine operators were too expensive to train or hire. In a mass production setting, CNC operators basically load unfinished parts, push a button and unload a finished part.

· Registered
20 Posts
Go shoot a 597 with the mk3 magazines

grandparem said:
I was going to say nice 100 yd. group until I read it again. :t :D :D However beauty is in the eye of the beholder ;) .
Go shoot one, they are really quite a nice gun with the mk3 mags. I hold quarter size groupings at 50 yards all the time (i don't have access to a 100 yd range). It shoots where you point it, period

· Registered
1,708 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I have to admit, I like the feel of the 597 and its lines. I've been waiting for used one to pop up around here at a good price. Like the Ruger 10/22, I understand they need a hammer replacement to really show their stuff.

But like Grandparem, no new rimfire speaks to me like an old .22. I'm trying to scrouge the $ for a Rem. 34 bolt-action I found the other day--just because the crazy cartridge feeding mechanism makes me smile.

(BTW, I also have little use for the new Harleys and new VW Bugs, even though they actually get you where you're going.)
:D

· Registered
7,290 Posts
wescarroll said:
Go shoot one, they are really quite a nice gun with the mk3 mags. I hold quarter size groupings at 50 yards all the time (i don't have access to a 100 yd range). It shoots where you point it, period
I don't know anyone that has one. I'm definately not impressed with 10/22s until you spent another $4-500 on them.

Our small club is expanding our 50 yard area now so will have 25- 50- 100 and 200 yards. We have had a 50 but only room for 1 bench... will be 3 in a couple weeks. Because of this, our competitions have all been 100 yds with 6 benches for all rimfire shoots. With the wind in Kansas, it can be a challenge. Ends up being a "wind flag reading contest" instead of rifle. I do fairly good in low or no wind conditions but not good at reading flags.

Last unlimited class was won with a 40X, my son-in law won metallic sights with a 513T (I was second with a 513T), I won semi-auto with (believe it or not) a JC Higgins model 29 w/24X Tasco scope that I hadn't shot for 15 years beating out 3 or 4 tricked up 10/22s including the second place one that is probably a $600 gun.

Probably enough "blouviating" (for you Bill O'Rielly fans) for now. I'm going on vacation so will leave you guys alone for the next week or so.

· Registered
121 Posts
BTW folks The "lousy" shooting 597 has a stock barrel, a VQ hammer and extractor and a $24 Boyd's stock. I did bed the rifle with some left over A glass I used on my M70, 270WSM. It has never jammed with the new MkIII magazines. NEVER

· Registered
6,174 Posts
Erik2 said:
My 597 runs fine as do many others here. I think 550s look like crap.
Erik-----bite your tongue :) 550's have beautiful lines with real steel, and machined parts built to last. IMO the worst Remington .22 is still pretty wonderful, especially their 500 series .22's, and that includes yours.

· Registered
867 Posts
rsv1moss: 550's have beautiful lines with real steel, and machined parts built to last.

:t Agreed. I also think the 550-1 is a great looking rifle. Mine sure is. But, then again, I'm in the older generation. Erik2, obviously, is in the younger generation group. I will admit his rifle looks pretty good even though I didn't like his cocky responses.

As granpaem said, "Beauty is in the eye of the beholder".......

· Registered
413 Posts
May I join in this flury of activity? hell yes haha. You all are over looking why the 550 and 550-1 are needlessly complex-its to shoot the SHORT,it has the famous Williams floating chamber,this can cause all sorts of problems,but most of the time this old gun works splendidly. Now its ugly,but accurate. Now turn with me now to the 597-the trigger is too hard,most magazines are the pits, and the user,usually tightens the bolt spring retaining screws too far in. Get a Vol or Jarvis trigger, a new clip and back out the bolt spring retaning screws so that that the action will fit together.NOW you have a better rifle than the 550,easier to manufacter and more reliable-notice I did not say accurate,but obviously,some are.JMHO Paul W

· Registered
1,066 Posts
I love Remingtons, but have never had a Rem autoloader. I do have a Ruger 10-22 Deluxe that doesn't have a lot of non-factory parts, just a Shilen Barrel, but I've spent time accurizing the rifle and published my findings. Here is a "prove-it" target with 10 consecutive 5-shot groups at 50 yards.

http://proveit.www8.50megs.com/cgi-bin/i/submissions/22lr/Picher-6-12-2000.jpg (.37" average) You might want to try that target sometimes. It's a lot harder than it looks. That one was my first one ever.

Not bad for a cheap Ruger with a good bull barrel and a bit of epoxy bedding, blood, sweat, and smiles.

After hundreds of thousands of rounds over about 8 years, she still shoots pretty well, but the chamber is eroded a bit.

Picher

· Registered
108 Posts
Pardon my ignorance about Rem. rimfires, but what the heck is a 550 and a 550-1? Rem's website shows the 504 (turnbolt), 597 (semi), 552 (semi), and 572 (pump). Discontinued models?

http://www.remington.com/firearms/rimfire/rimfire.htm

Another question: How is it that the 552 Speedmaster can shoot shorts and longs just fine, while other semis cannot? What specific sort of mechanism is used in the blowback system to make it self-regulating like that? Or is it a "least common denominator" approach; that is, just using a lighter bolt so that shorts will work, and lrs just slam it around more, or what?

· Registered
867 Posts
Futo: Pardon my ignorance about Rem. rimfires, but what the heck is a 550 and a 550-1? Rem's website shows the 504 (turnbolt), 597 (semi), 552 (semi), and 572 (pump). Discontinued models?

http://gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.asp?Item=32827721

Sorry, I don't have a pic of mine but above is a good pic of one. Manufactured app 1940's to 1970's. Don't know exact years.

Rsv1moss has some pics and knows more about mfg years..........

· Registered
6,174 Posts
My best view of a model 550, all those beautiful machined parts, each one having a particular function that they accomplish very well. It's not needlessly complicated and as any rifle if kept clean, it will work almost forever. I have tried to wear mine out, shooting it for over 55 years, and like the Enegizer Bunny it just keeps going and going. There is one wear point however and it's on the stock relief for the bolt assembly, I have shot it so much there is a pit where it spits out the empty case, only found that on one of my other 550's.

Difference, the 550 introduced in 1941 and production stopped in 1942 when WW2 started has two extractors and the receiver insert is cut to act as an ejector. The 550-1 production started in 45/46 has just one extractor and has a prominent ejector inserted into a slot milled into the left side of the receiver, bolt and receiver insert are different also. Remington did continue to use up some 550 spare parts in the early 550-1's. Everybody should have at least one 550 and take it completely apart for a through cleaning. :)

Rifle pictured is a 550-1 with aftermarket sling swivels.

· Registered
867 Posts
rsv1mos: Everybody should have at least one 550 and take it completely apart for a through cleaning.

:D :D It will definitely test your abilities.............patience, perseverence, dexterity, good memory (to put stuff back where it belongs) :( .

Unless you've done it many times, like rsv1mos.....

Almost forgot, rsv1, is that the new stock you got from Boyds?

1 - 20 of 28 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.