Rimfire Central Firearm Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
8,885 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok want to replace the hvy taper barrel I stoled off of Fatbaby for the Savage. Now there aren't any Hvy Tapers to be found so I was thinking, (dangerous concept).

Either get a running boar and have the end turned down to .720.

Or get a bull and 4" in front of the chamber have it turned down to .720 from there to the crown.

This would be a straight barrel of that diameter, as I don't think the machinist I use could do a taper.

So what does everyone think ? Would the 2nd choice be legal? Just thinking right now but would like to know everyone's opinion on it.

·
Registered
8,885 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Speed ,

I may go that route but I was thinking about something that would fill the stock in more. But may do it anyway until GM gets more of a selection out there.

·
Registered
1,963 Posts
Yeah I can see how there would be some excess space in the barrel channel if there was a heavy taper in there before. Would be an interesting performance comparison though between the two barrels in the same rifle.

·
Registered
8,885 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I was wondering about it Vincent I went back and read your sticky didn't see anything mention about having to be tapered but just wanted to ask anyway.

Not sure if I would even do it , can't really imagine if it would look ok. But would definitely be different for sure.

Has anyone used the ER Shaw barrels? They a decently priced but can't find anywhere mentioning if they use a Bentz chamber.

Priced a Clark mid weight, but they are $200. and that is a little steep for me.

Not sure what to do , may just have to wait and see what turns up in the classifieds.

·
Registered
11,081 Posts
yeah I think I'd wait and see what pops up in the classifieds. the boar should be a good shooter and that second option you describe well that'd be different. I might throw a vote that way just to see what it'd look like.

·
Registered
8,885 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Yeah Que not sure which way I'm going with this one. Read where GM has yet another lathe that is supposed to be for 10/22 barrels. But after the last one was supposed to be for it also, but then went to something else, I'm leary that this one will get up and going. May just need to go ahead and buy up a couple different GM barrels. Especially as scarce as they are getting.

I knew I could count on you to vote me to be the ginny pig, LOL.

·
Registered
3,029 Posts
I'm getting ready to have a boar turned down and set-up. I'll post pictures etc. when it is done. I was in the same boat though, trying to figure out what to do. I saw a Heavy Taper in the classifieds about a week ago, I think it lasted about ten minutes.... Sure glad that I got one when you guys talked me into it.

I don't really like the idea of the square cut. Just doesn't do it for me I guess. Would be very different though! :bthumb:

JJ

·
Registered
8,885 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
JJ,

Yeah those hvy tapers don't last long with there rep of being accurate as they are.

The turned down bull ideal would look like a Savage MK II barrel. Don't think it would look to bad just don't know if I'd like it after the fact.

Something like this:

Now I do like the looks of Rico's Miss Piggy. His turned down Running Boar turned out great, and looks really good.:bthumb:

·
Registered
9,109 Posts
Does anyone make a stock made to fit the GM heavy taper barrel? Any sponsors that would modify a factory taper stock?

Thanks, dew
You can sand the standard channel stock with a dowell and sandpaper. I have done several. Just go slow and check the fit often...

·
Registered
3,029 Posts
You can sand the standard channel stock with a dowell and sandpaper. I have done several. Just go slow and check the fit often...
:yeahthat:

I did a DSP that way, and really like the balance and looks of it. In fact it is my "go-to" 10/22 right now. Took about ten minutes.

JJ

·
Registered
22,045 Posts
rigger,

i can see your dilemna if ya dont wanna get another stock.

my hvy taper mzrs .817 at the end of the stock.

the R/B, basically a sporter profile is .650 at the same area.

that would lv a 3/16" gap, depending on how much you removed
originally, so i'm thinking about 1/8" gap on each side if using a
R/B which would be my choice.

took my buddy about an hour to cut down the 4"'s at the end taking
off a bit at a time. he was going slow

if a machinist had to cut the whole bull bbl, his cost might be a bit high,
then the stock will be "dedicated" to THAT bbl.

yea, hard decision if ya dont have an xtra factory stock.

just a few thoughts to get you more confused, lol,

rico....

·
Registered
8,885 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
LOL, Thanks Rico.

Yeah it would depend on the cost of the machine work. Would like to see how a bull lathed down to .720 in the Savage style would look in the 10/22 though.

But I'm thinking the running boar will be the cheapest route to go. And to keep it reasonable I'd have to get a 77/22 so the added cost of machining would make it about the same cost of buying a regular 10/22 running boar.

Ah decisions , decisions....................................

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.