Rimfire Central Firearm Forum banner

What to buy?

1063 Views 19 Replies 16 Participants Last post by  cvedrick
I would like to get a .22 LR pistol, but have little experience in pistols of any kind.

A buddy of mine has a MKII and it is pretty sweet, and the guys at Academy tell me not to get a buckmark.

for an out of the box, not too expensive pistol, what do you guys have experience with?
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

· Registered
2,981 Posts
I use a Mk-II 512 added sights grips and a trigger and spring kit later.
Love the darn thing.
I shoot 12 Oz. cans freehand at 100 yard's and nickle size targets inside of 35 yard's more than I miss. Chipmonk's fear it around here.
The Mk-II has now been replaced with the Mk-III. If I could not find a Mk-II , I would not be afraid of buying a MK-III.

· Registered
905 Posts
I prefer the Buckmark.
The trigger is better "out of the box" than the MkII. Light and well balanced.
Very accurate.
Easier to disassemble than the Ruger.
The Rugers are perhaps made "stronger" but then again I've never heard of a Buckmark breaking either.

· Registered
5,438 Posts
My first choice would be the Ruger MK II, great little gun. I have shot a Buckmark Camper and it's a good handgun also, I think my buddy bought it for $200 a few years back and he enjoys it.

· Registered
136 Posts
The best gun is the one you shoot best. I'd head up to the local indoor range and shoot everything they have to offer. I settled on the Buckmark this way many years ago, and have friends who ended up with Rugers doing the same thing. Ultimately, the gun you end up with is the one that feels right for you.

· Registered
341 Posts
I like the Buckmark. It balances well, shoots good, is easy to take down and clean, and, now this is MY opinion, is the best looking semi 22 out there. Rugers are great pistols too. I have two friends who swear by them, one has the MK II and the other the 22/45, but for me, the Ruger auto's are ugly. Between the Ruger and Browning it is a toss up. The only semi auto pistol I have heard to stay away from is the S&W 22. Hope you enjoy what ever you get.
Aaron

· Registered
2,503 Posts
Add another vote for the Ruger, although the Browning looks good too, I've just never shot one. I had a Mk II a few years ago, and like a numbskull sold it to someone I work with, and she sold it to one of her old boyfriends, or I'd have bought it back from her. I picked up a 22/45 last week, and love it. They're a bit trickey to put back together, but it's not like you can't do it. I like the 22/45 grip a little better, but others like the standard Ruger grip.

I've also got a Ruger Single Six that I like so if your taste leans more toward a revolver that's a good one to take a look at, plus you get the 22 mag clyinder also.

· Registered
481 Posts
The Rugers are more affordable than the Buckmarks, but both are fine 22 handguns. You can't go wrong with either.
There are 2 decisions to consider...
1. What feels the best to you
&
2. Aesthetics. (Which one looks more attractive to you?)

· Registered
3,500 Posts
Personally I would save up a little more cash and get a Sig Trailsides. I got one and love it, its a little more money yes, but this Sig shoots almost as well as my wife's Hi-Standard. I've owned Hi-Standards, Buckmarks, MK II Rugers and the Sig/Hammerli Trailside. Its really a toss up for me on which I like better, the Sig or a Hi-Standard and while an original Hi-Standard is a bunch more money than the Ruger or the Buckmark, the Sig isn't that much more. Just my thoughts on it.

Dave Z.

· Registered
4,172 Posts
My Vote: Assuming your looking to keep the cost down and versitility up.
In semi Auto: S&W 41, Ruger MK II 5.5", Browning Buckmark 5.5", S&W mod 422 6" target. (in that order).
In a Revolver: Ruger super single six 5.5 or 6.5", S&W mod 17/617 in 6" / 4" .
Any of the above should serve you well for a long time. FWIW, many other brands/ models will leave you frustrated and broke when looking for parts, accessories, mags, holsters etc. Check before you buy.

34,878 Posts
I have the Ruger "slabside" target model. :t

I think the Sig Trailsides is a really fine gun.

The Brownings are good but STAY AWAY from the Camper model. Several Quality issues with this one but the others are fine.

If you can afford the S&W 41 it's great. Their cheap guns are just that, Cheap.

Top of the line Baretta (87)? is a good gun

Any of the above guns will give you a lifetime of good service. See which fits you best.

I wouldn't have anything to do with the Walther P22, cheap S&W's or Baretta Neos if you want true quailty long lasting, fine accuracy and pride of ownership. They are ok if all you want is a cheap plinker that is accepted as that.

· Registered
71 Posts
I love my Ruger 22/45 MK III 5.5 Target Model. Nice heft for a composite frame, very very reliable, and accurate. Don't belive what most people say about the Ruger it's not that difficult to take apart. I've shot over 1,000 round with only 5 failures due to ammo. Price out the door was 249.00.
:t

· Registered
571 Posts
And now for something completely different !!!!

I picked up a stainless Rossi .22 DA revolver. 4" bbl, and two sets of grips. I wanted something that shoots shot charges to pester some tree rats and keep 'em out of my bird feeders. Turns out this an excellent shooter with the match loads I use in the 10/22, but only in single action. The DA trigger is overly heavy, except for the last little bit which gets very slick and light and pow, you have an errant projectile downrange somewhere. I love single action revolvers for their triggers, but hate the tedium of loading/unloading.

Anyway I picked it up new for about $150 and am well pleased with the SA accuracy and the fun of chasing tree rats with the shot charges. Worth aquiring one if you see one

reid

· Registered
2,788 Posts
Taurus

Taurus makes some nice .22 cal Revolvers ...

Yeah the Hi-Standard and the Sig Trailside , ruger Auto's MK 1 etc shoot real nice , Ive shot a real nice mk1 with a 71/2 inch barrel , boy that little gun could shoot well ...

SW K-22 , or the current 686 look alike in .22 ...

Heck , save for a few months more and get a Diamondback ....

Try one of the new Hi-Standard copies ...

Bernardelli made the model 69
Beretta the model 89
SW 422

Beretta U22
Browning Buckmark
EAA IZH-35
SW 617 Revolver
Taurus 96

So much to chose from :D

Matt...

· Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
My cousin in Anaheim has a cat that climbes pine trees and chases the durned squirrels out onto a limb, he then pounces on them grabs them and then f down a 30' free fall to the ground where their spines are crushed. He then eats them. Much more valuable than a .22LR is a good hunting cat!

· Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Just saw a Stoeger Luger at a local pawn shop for $165.00 it seemed to be in sweet condition. I really really want a SS Trailside (thanks for the input), but I have shot a friends and think it might be a good fun gun. Is this a good price?

34,878 Posts
If you are talking about getting that "Luger" instead of the trailsides I would not. They don't have the best sights, you can't mount a scope or dot sight , the ones I've been around aren't all thar reliable. If you are thinking of getting it as a second gun....the just for fun kind of thing than fine. But not as you primary rimfire pistol.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.