Rimfire Central Firearm Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
266 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I went out calling today for yotes. It was in the snow and walking to each stand we saw about 30 different sets of new tracks. I was useing a mouse squeeker and rabbit distriss call. Coyotes have never been hunted. I called forabout 20-30 sec each session. I never even saw a glimpse of one. We made 4 stands about 1000 yards apart(walking). We hunted till dark. Weve hunted the ground for yotes before (3 times) and never saw one. I think Im doing everyyhing right, but I wnt to see whats wrong. Any idies?:confused: :eek: :confused:

·
Registered
231 Posts
Sounds like coyote hunting to me :). It could be several factors since you've seen plenty of sign. First, they could be totally nocturnal. We've had some guys here in michigan that have reported much better success hunting a few hours after dark....probably adds to the excitement level, too. Does Mo allow you to hunt after dark? Has the wind been blowing hard during your hunt? Could be they are nervous since a hard wind will rob them of their critical senses. They cant distinguish sounds for all the noise, cant smell for all the high wind blowing scent around (swirling) and their sight that is primarily movement oriented is confused by all the branches, leaves or whatever being blown about. I'd try again on a day where you have good weather and very near dark or early am. Keep trying different calls, sequences, good scent killer, camo, sit dead still (cover your breath on cold days) and use the terrain and wind against them. Maybe some others can help you with regional info. Keep hunting, and dont quit. If you can hear them, they are close!

Perferator

·
Premium Member
2,245 Posts
Just because you see tracks doesn't mean that they are in that area when you are. You have to find out when they come through there. Coyotes do not hang around waiting for someone to call them. They travel a great deal.

The other possibility is that they are watching you. I don't think that walking within such a small area as you describe is going to get you much, but it does give the coyotes a chance to see you.

These are crafty animals. Do not underestimate them. I had to study the yotes in my area for a long time before I could develop a plan of attack.

Read, ask questions and watch. This doesn't happen in a minute. Have a look over at GGVG, Predator Masters and Coyote Gods for some tips. www.varminthunters.com/forums/ggvg/index.shtml
www.predatormastersforums.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi
I don't keep the url for Coyote gods on hand, but it is not hard to find.

·
Registered
203 Posts
Cdogs

It might help to hunt from the edge of their territory at first,,,they are smart and shy and if you get in amonst them it will educate the critters fast. after dark they are easier but harder to see. If the moon is out and there is snow on the ground you have it made.

·
Registered
266 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yes MO. does allow yote hunting at night ,but only with mouth blown calls. The moon was full for the last 3 days and the wind was blowing constantly. Today was the last day but you can bet Ill be out there after spring turckey season. Ill go out today and see If there are any new tracks.:t

·
Registered
1,613 Posts
It has been my experience that calling during daylight during a Full Moon cycle is a waist of time, as is the early morning hours just after sun up. The only time I have any success during a Full Moon is just prior to sunset, but before dark or when the moon is high. Coyotes typically have several different dens in their home territory, and which den they are occupying at any given time depends on a lot of factors (not the least of which is Moon Cycles, Prey availability, time of year, whether or not they have young, mating season, etc.) Yep Calling Coyotes is kind of like a Crap Shoot, but there are ways to tip the odds in your favor. Learn all you can on this subject. The links provided in another post are good ones, and there is a wealth of information on them, plus the people are great folks, and always eager to answer questions and help out.

The main thing I have learned in over a decade of Calling Coyotes is, there is always something new to learn. However the Coyote itself is the best teacher we have, we just have to learn well from them.

Larry

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.