Rimfire Central Firearm Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
270 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Before you remove the barrel you have to remove these two really long screws but I cannot figure out what size heads they have? I have the complete standard and metric allen key set from Home Depot and I was able to get them out fine but you can just tell that the fit is not perfect.

·
Registered
270 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I must have some really bad screws because my 5/32" does not fit all the way. I have to use a combination of 3 different sizes (depending on what stage of screwing in or out I'm at) to remove or insert the screws.

·
Registered
5,084 Posts
Damaged Internal Hex

sygyzy,

If you used an Allen wrench of a size other than 5/32", you have probably damaged the internal hex of the screws...! ! :(

You will probably need to purchase two new V-Block screws, B67.

Good luck trying to buy them at your local hardware store; although #12-24 is a National Standard size, it is not normally stocked ...! ! :(
[Edited to reflect mutwagon's correction below.]

·
Registered
787 Posts
Re: Damaged Internal Hex

BigMike said:
sygyzy,

If you used an Allen wrench of a size other than 5/32", you have probably damaged the internal hex of the screws...! ! :(

You will probably need to purchase two new V-Block screws, B67.

And, no, you can not buy them at your local hardware store, as #12-24 is a gunsmithing size...! ! :(
I'm sorry Big Mike, but I beg to differ 12-24 is a standard size.
It is an ANSI Standard machine screw NC (national coarse) size.
12-28 would be the NF (national fine) size.
Sygyzy, you need a 12-24 x 1.5" NC socket head cap screw.
Here is the listing from McMastercarr.com

Part Number 91251A456 $4.80 per Pack of 10
Material
Black-Oxide Finish Heat-Treated Alloy Steel
Head Style
Standard
Drive Style
Hex Socket
System of Measurement
Inch
Thread Size
#12-24
Length
1-1/2"
Thread Style
Standard Right Handed
Thread Length
Partially Threaded

They will probably be higher at a local hardware in general.
I have been aiming to pick up some in stainless myself.
Andy

·
Registered
5,084 Posts
mutwagn,

Yes sir, it is an ANSI Standard machine screw NC (national coarse) size...! ! I do know my 'nuts & bolts', having retired from 40+ years of engineering for a major manufacturing company.

Dakotan and I [and several others] plowed this ground about two or more years ago, before he started offering his "Take-Down-Screw"...! ! It maybe be a National Standard, but other than a HUGE house like "McMastercarr", just try to find someone who actually "stocks" them...! ! :eek: :(

So, I will rephrase my comment:
Good luck trying to buy them at your local hardware store; although #12-24 is a National Standard size, it is not normally stocked ...! ! :(

·
Registered
787 Posts
I understand the frustration on finding odd fastners. Small town here. Don't look for ones for a scope base, or the like. But I didn't want someone to buy from Brownells, when there are better places to buy for a standard screw.
I hope I didn't come across as being a smart @$$, it wasn't my intention, just trying to help. With your background, you probably forgot more about fastners than I will know. But 25 years in manufacturing industry maintanence has helped me learn a little.
Andy

·
Registered
5,084 Posts
Fasteners

mutwagn,

Then you will appreciate my use of the term "gunsmithing size" in a Post to a 'newbie'...! ! For all practical purposes, it could be a NASA Lunar Lander 'proprietary' size...! ! :eek:

As I said, Mismost, Dakotan, and I searched in vain to try and find a ready source for the B-65 "Take-Down-Screw" [#12-24] in a Socket Head [Allen] configuration, both blued [black oxide] and stainless. McMaster was the ONLY house that listed, and actually had them in stock...! ! I even tried some of the 'speciality bolt houses', looking for a price for them to make a lot of 1,000. pcs..

And, there is the issue of the junk that places like Home Depot is selling today...! ! It is sourced in China, not made to any material or thread standard, and is foisted-off on the American Public as 'good' hardware, when it doesn't even cut it as a Grade 0 ...! ! :( These people wouldn't even know what a Grade 8 fastener was....! ! :mad: :mad:

Sorry, bad day at black rock.....! ! :D

·
Registered
20,556 Posts
Something else to throw in the soup. If you have bought screws that were made in China or any other metrically dominate area, you will run across things like a screw or bolt that is listed as a 12-24 or whatever in our sizing but they may also have a metric socket size... (vice versa) Metric on one end, ANSI on the other. something else to consider. If the allen wrenches were made in a metrically dominate country, the situation may be that even though it is listed as ANSI, it likely is nothing more than the closest metric stock size they could find and called it good enough.

I would suggest this. Unless you are buying TOP GRADE wrenches, buy metric sizes that were manufactured abroad, but buy ANSI sizes that were manufactured in the USA. Just because a wrench is listed as being one size, in in reality, there is no guarentee that it actually is. When it comes to normal usage tools, you may get away with lesser quality stuff, but when you start getting into lesser seen sizes, the cheap stuff will cause no end of headaches..

Ron

·
Registered
5,084 Posts
Allen Wrenches

Ron & sygyzy,
I have the complete standard and metric allen key set from Home Depot and I was able to get them out fine but you can just tell that the fit is not perfect. [sygyzy]
I just went back and re-read the original Post; Ron, I think you have hit upon the cause of his problem...! ! :eek:

Last time I looked at a 'set' of those wrenches at "Home Depot", they were made in China*, and I immediately dropped them..! ! :(
[ China = soft steel, and dimensionally 'off'....! ! :mad: ]

Fortunately, all my Allen wrenches are from "Standard Pressed Steel", the folks that make the Allen head screws [Socket head Cap Screws]...! ! :t :)
[A perk of working in a manufacturing plant ;) ]

SEARS Craftsman usually are good, and the metric wrenches from the bicycle supply houses are very good [probably from Europe]. :)

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.