Rimfire Central Firearm Forum banner

What should I start my son out in???

1146 32
Ok... My son is 6 years old and has been shooting for about 3 years. We picked up a $99 buck 22lr from walmart for his 3rd b-day... he still loves to shoot it, but he is ready to move up. He love to shoot!!! We put 100-200 rounds down range a week... and could do more if we knew "what" to do...

I tried to get him into a 4H shooting club... but they said he has to be 9 years old... he may be able to out shoot all the other kids... but if he's not 9... he can't join... sad...:(

So... what can I get him into? What is a goos gun to "move up" to? I can set up a 10-25 yard target here at home for him... what type of targets will prepare him for compatition?

I know it's alot to ask... but I also know how much knowledge lives hre on Rimfire.

Thanks!
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
1,325 Posts
look at a rossi braztech trifecta
3 guns in one... 20gauge scatter/ 22lr/ 243
i got one for my grand daughter and it does well
start off with the 22 then the 243 later, and for a shotgun the 20ga.
go to the taurus forum of this site
and look at my pics of the 22/243 under
rossi braztech trifecta pics
the 20ga barrel is not shown.
scopes not included.

·
Registered
2,044 Posts
At 6, I'd say keep him on a .22. Besides they're the funnest and cheapest to shoot.

Since you can shoot at home, you could just keep him punching paper or find you a weld shop a torch out some silhouette targets and place them around the yard.

I don't know if you've utilized the free target pdf files on here but they are great, especially when printed out on some 110lb paper (250 sheets/$6-7 @ wallyworld)

Good luck and safe shooting

Forgot to mention...I'd move him up to a CZ scout or the new mossberg 801 Half Pint Plinkster
http://www.mossberg.com/products/default.asp?id=38&section=products

·
Registered
18 Posts
okay , i know this is a rimfire site so flame me if you want.
Have you thought about a compressed air sporter air rifle ?
Although they can be quite pricey, you can set up a 10 meter range at home and shoot all day for not much money.
When you boy can join 4-H he'll be ahead of the rest of the group,
alot of your competitions in 4-H are air rifle, 3 and 4 position.
Just my 2 cents worth

·
Registered
289 Posts
The air rifle is a good suggestion for competitive practice, or a fairly accurate bolt action 22.

I agree to stay with the 22 for a while as it will develop marksmanship skills and cheaply to boot.

You never said what 22 he has right now- maybe the same rifle is fine, maybe an upgraded bolt action 22. Maybe upgraded sights on current rifle.

Get a Turner leather sling and get him started on 3 position now if competition is the goal.

·
Registered
291 Posts
I agree about the air rifle. When a tin of 500 match grade pellets cost $10 it soon becomes the least expensive way to shoot. If competition is a goal the slower lock and barrel times will help the hold and when he gets back onto a firearm the air gun training really pays off. If you're set on a rifle, take a look at the Izhmash CM-2. Its a full on target rifle for a very reasonable cost. The Cadet model is a single shot and a bit smaller. Regardless of what you acquire be sure it fits him properly.

·
Registered
4,997 Posts
JMO, but he's only six years old ! - Give him some ACTION !

Moving/interactive targets will keep him more interested/stimulated than paper or dead steel.

I saw a few interesting ones, that were designed to be loaded with clay pigeons (small and large).
Some clay bird holders were static, and some were swingers - but the one I liked best had a protected (steel) vertical channel that held 6-8 birds stacked.
The lowest bird was not protected from the bullet, and when hit, it shattered, letting the stack drop a new bird in place automatically by gravity.

·
Registered
8,058 Posts
start him shooting the online matches here on RFC. there has got to be something good for him on there. lots to choose from. something 3P or 4P for when he's old enough for 4H.

·
Premium Member
30,507 Posts
Depending what he has now would determine if he would even get a new one. I bought my son a new Henry Mini-Bolt when he was 4. He liked shooting my Winchester 61 better than the Henry, with help from me, of course. Kids always like the repeaters. The Bolt Action rifle gives him the chance to learn gun safety and proper shooting technique without wasting ammo. Someday he will move up to the Winchester, but that will be years away. He will probably get something else before he gets that collectible Winchester, maybe a CZ 452.

·
Registered
166 Posts
Depending what he has now would determine if he would even get a new one. I bought my son a new Henry Mini-Bolt when he was 4. He liked shooting my Winchester 61 better than the Henry, with help from me, of course. Kids always like the repeaters. The Bolt Action rifle gives him the chance to learn gun safety and proper shooting technique without wasting ammo. Someday he will move up to the Winchester, but that will be years away. He will probably get something else before he gets that collectible Winchester, maybe a CZ 452.
This is excellent advice, especially if you buy the youth 452 version. You can always upgrade the stock when they get older. My boys have been shooting since 4 or 5, they started with Remington 510s and 512s. Once they were able to shoot well, I bought them each a 456 lux, its a BRNO model 4 that has been sporterized, best thing I could do, they are in their 20s now and still love those 456 rifles (wish Id bought me one, never saw another)

·
Registered
160 Posts
My son started shooting at the age of 7 and has been shooting with the 4H shooting club for 2 years now (he's 11). I started him out on a 10-22 and he has since progressed to a CZ Scout (we will be adding a bigger stock here pretty soon). He also has a Ruger MK-III pistol and we just purchased him his first AR15. Enjoy your kids and spend as much time with them as you can because they grow up really fast.

·
Registered
683 Posts
My son is 8. I started him shooting last year but have been buying him guns for a while now as the ever increasing prices have born out. He has shot a Remington 552 speedmaster and Mossberg 702 plinkster. I also bought a Taurus 94 revolver which he has shot thanks to it's small grip which works well with small hands. I will keep him at these for a few more years at which point I have a Mini-14 for him to use and a Savage 11 youth model in .243 with a Leupold scope for him to use when hunting with the old man. Perhaps you should consider a nice revolver like the Taurus with Colobri ammo for around the house shooting. :bthumb:

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Wow... thanks for all the great feedback...

Ok, he is shooting a small 22lr cricket $99 bucks at walmart...

I like the looks of the savage cub... and all the CZ look nice.

I did look into the air rifles and may still buy one.

I'd like to learn more about the action shoot...???

Thanks again for ALL you help!!!!

·
Registered
440 Posts
I would personally go with the CZ Scout. This rifle uses a single shot adapter which can be dropped out just like a magazine, so turning it into a repeater is as simple as buying a mag. The triggers on every CZ I have dealt with has been a pleasant surprize in every case, far better than 90% of the youth guns on the market. The fact that as he grows you can swap the stock for a full size one is a definite plus. Accuracy isn't an issue, CZ makes a fine gun with quality steel and they shoot, and are made to last a lifetime. The CZ is a gun to be handed down. I own a savage as a foul weather beater and it serves it's purpose, but it's a utility gun and will never be heirloom material.

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Thanks!!! I called the gun shop I deal with... and they carry CZ. I'll go by monday and take a look.!!!

Thanks!

I'd still like to know more about "action" shooting for him... and me! :D

·
Registered
184 Posts
Hey Rod,
I noticed that no one mentioned the distances that you were going to set the targets. I would suggest that you keep everything at least 25yds out for him. 25yds. is not very far, and will keep him on his little toes trying to get better.
I was looking at the stock of my Savage MKII BTVS, which I bought for my nephew, and I think that I could easily re-shape that grip for a smaller hand than mine. It is also the very last gun you will have to buy for him, unless he gets crazy into the benchrest part of the sport. Speaking for myself, I'm a buy once kinda guy, meaning that I am too poor to buy a cheap gun....or should I say too cheap to buy a poor gun.
I mentioned that I bought the Savage for my nephew. He is 6 now. Personally I don't think that children should be allowed to shoot until they are 13. That gives us much more time to "break-in" the rifles that we are buying for them. Scope adjustment alone could take 3-4 years. Then there are all the variations in ammo, different types of rests, tuners ...all of these details have to be worked out before you can give the gun to your Grandchild, Son/Daughter, or Nephew. God forbid you give them a malfunctioning weapon!!! I say that, as responsible adults, we must put a few thousand rounds through the chamber before it is deemed a safe gun.
This is what I tell my wife...and I'm stickin' to it all the way.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.