Rimfire Central Firearm Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A local shop I've been frequenting for many years has had a Remington 580 Smoothbore (could be wrong about the 580 part, but it IS a smoothbore for shotshells, and it IS in the 580 series) for at least 10 years.

I remember checking this rifle out for YEARS.. wondering if it would ever sell (it was wildly overpriced at $300 or something...). I got the impression that they'd bought it and overpaid and were sitting on it hoping to make their money back one day...

Anyway, a couple weeks ago I happened to be there and Rem 581's came up ( was actually looking for a left hand model..)... and I mentioned "that 580 smoothbore they'd had for years"... and he mentioned that they still had "that **** thing" in the back!!! He also intimated that offers would be gladly entertained...

So I'm wondering, as fodder for a rebarrel, what would this be worth "book value" wise? So I know what to offer...

I know what it's worth to ME... but if what it's worth to ME is drastically less than what it's worth on paper... well.. maybe in another ten years :D

Interested to hear your opinions!
Paul F.

·
Registered
2,955 Posts
Value of smoothbore 580

If a rebarrel is your only reason to buy the rifle,I would determine the cost of the rest of the conversion I was considering, without the cost of the 580 action. Comparing this figure to a comparably desirable weapon will allow you to see if it is financially sound. I bought a delicately used 581 two years ago for $125.00 at a gun show. For me, at least, I thought that was reasonable for a rifle that could possibly be rebarreled. I would be interested to know the selling price.

·
Registered
5,084 Posts
Rem 580 Smoothbore

Shyningnight,

Rem 580 Smoothbore: .22 LR Shot, bolt action, single shot, 24" barrel, open sights, Monte Carlo stock, Mfg'd. 1968 - 1978.

Some typical values: ["Blue Book of Gun Values", 20th Ed.]
100% = $225. [NIB]
_98% = $190.
_95% = $160.
_90% = $150.
_80% = $135.
_70% = $120.
_60% = $115.

Hope this helps...! ! :)

·
Registered
1,074 Posts
I'd offer $100 and not go above $115.

Then, send it off to Butch Hongisto for a rebarrel for $225. He'll do a great job and can also do the trigger.

My 581 that he rebarrelled is incredible!

John

·
Registered
5 Posts
The smoothbore commands a slight premium, going for around $150.00 on the auctions when they rarely turn up. I bought one at that price this year on one of the auctions and decided not to modify it. It's too much fun the way it is.

JC in Michigan

·
Registered
736 Posts
Offer:

If you want an action for a project rifle might I suggest you try to find a good or better cond. 580 SS or an 581 Rem.

I just bought a 580 with Lyman 57EW rear and 17A front sight for < $75.

Mounted it on a 541S stock. The barrel being a little aenemic, I glassed a pressure point/support in the front of the bbl. channel. Might have to full length bed it later if this setup proves unsatisfactory.

Called Rem. and they said they could rebarrel it with a heavy (541THB ?) for about $270. I'm considering it.

By the way, I might consider selling the sights.

Mac 1.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.