Rimfire Central Firearm Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just finished installing a PC hammer, 18" GM barrel and a Revival Tundra stock on my 10/22 carbine. Now I need a scope mount and have a few questions.

1. What is a good mount to use?
2. How do I know if I need tall vs. short rings? Is there a way to measure when I have the rifle to my cheek?

Thanks for any advise you can give.

·
Registered
1,374 Posts
Someone should come along and post the link to that ring height comparison chart; I'm too lazy to search the forum right now! ;)

1. I have the weaver rail by Power Custom, and I think it's the best thing going. Volquartsen and Power Custom both make rails/mounts, and they're fairly comparable to each other, except in price. They both make a receiver mount (which is what I have), and a cantilevered barrel mount. Many shooters say that the barrel mount is the *best* for absolute accuracy, but now that trend seems to be changing to the receiver mount. As long as you get your rifle dialed-in, it seems they both are better than most everything else (design-wise, that is).

There are also mounts by BKL, Leupold, and a few others, but expect to pay a premium price for their product.

2. The two Weaver mounts by VQ and PC are about 1/2" tall, meaning you can run slightly shorter rings than you normally would, and still have the objective bell clear the barrel. Or you can use a slightly larger scope than those rings would normally allow. For example, with my 44mm scope, I'm using Burris' Sig Zee's in Medium.

Most of the guys on this forum will argue/agree between the Burris Signature Zee rings, or the Millett rings. There are plenty of other really good scope rings out there, but for outright affordable quality, these two seem to come up most often.

Personally, I believe in getting the scope as close to the barrel as possible - that way it's more in line with the bullet. I would recommend buying rings that accomodate your scope, not you. However, if comfort is a larger priority to you, you'll need to decide if having the scope hug the rifle is too low for you or not, and perhaps try someone's rifle (there are plenty in gun stores for you to try) to determine your eye height from the barrel.

Rings typically arrange as such:
Low for scopes up to 32mm
Med for scopes up to 40mm
High for scopes up to 50mm
- - and this all depends on your scope base and ring manufacturer.

·
Registered
3,301 Posts
What scope are you planning on mounting?

MinusB gave you good advice, but you need to start with a scope first.

I like the Integramount by Weigand. That's the mount I have on my Superstock holding a Simmons 1022T.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
MinusB - thanks for the info. I'll search for the comparison chart.

Fullchoke - I'm thinking about the Bushnell 3-9x40 Banner Dusk & Dawn scope.
I've used Bushnell before and have been happy with them. SWFA has one for about $70.
I looked at the Intergramount and like the idea of mount and rings in one piece. Do you the Bushnell will fit with this mount?
I've also read about the Weaver type mount and Burris rings. Not sure which way to go.

BTW, my primary use will be hunting.

Again, thanks for the advise. I'm kinda new to this and have learned quite a bit from reading the posts on the various forums. Some of the guys here really know their weapons.

·
Registered
3,301 Posts
Arse said:
Do you the Bushnell will fit with this mount?
I've also read about the Weaver type mount and Burris rings. Not sure which way to go.

BTW, my primary use will be hunting.

Again, thanks for the advise. I'm kinda new to this and have learned quite a bit from reading the posts on the various forums. Some of the guys here really know their weapons.
It may be tight. The 1022T is a 3-9x32 AO. It fits with the rear sight folded down and I use a stock Ruger sporter barrel. I think with your application, I'd go with the Weaver style base and Burris Sig Zee rings in med height. That way if you ever wanted to change to a heavy barrel you would be OK. Weigand and PC both make a nice base that provides more cross slots than the stock Ruger base. These bases also give you more height than the Ruger base. HTH.

·
Registered
230 Posts
pet peeve- setting up rifle with new scope and rings getting everthing focused and correct eye relief tighten it up and........slowly realize everytime you shoulder rifle you are looking at black half moon at top of scope......no money to go buy different rings.

·
Registered
636 Posts
WORD OF CAUTION for Burris ZEE rings. You'll need to replace some screws or something to make sure the rings don't move on the mount.

A number of people have said that even when fully tightened down the mounts have room to move. A bad thing, IMO.

·
Registered
220 Posts
I don't think PC makes a cantilever mount. They do make a 6-hole mount that attaches to the receiver and barrel.

I bought the VQ cantilever mount first, but decided the PC was a better idea.

With an ordinary receiver mount I couldn't get the scope far enough forward.

Didn't have any problems with the Zee rings on the PC mount, but they wouldn't clamp down on an AR-15 riser mount. Hadn't thought to check if the screws didn't have enough thread. Just figured that I couldn't get the torque to overcome the springyness (got a better word?) of the clamp.

·
Registered
6,538 Posts
Whenever you need rings/mounts call KURT at 1 800 MILLETT. He will direct you to his product that fits your needs. He will also direct you to Natchez or Midsouth to purchase at much less than he can sell. He must have to stick to MSRP.

·
Registered
6,868 Posts
PC receiver base and medium height Burris Z rings are too tall for a 3-9x40 simmons w/o AO.
I would prefer low rings on the PC base. It is quite a bit taller than the factory weaver base.

Now if using the factory weaver TO-9 base then medium rings should be just fine with a 3-9x40 simmons w/o AO.

The size of the scope and whether or not it has an AO makes the difference in what size rings to use.

I am also using a VQ cantilever mount with low Burris Z rings and a Simmons ATV 4.5-14x40 AO. There is hardly enough room to slide a business card between the bell of this scope and the front portion of the VQ base. The scope is very close to the barrel, but not touching. Just the way I like it.

Unless you'll be using a weaver TO-9 base OR a larger than 40mm Obj scope then If I were you I'd stick with the Burris Z rings in low.

If you use the Burris Z rings, you need to replace the cross bolts. They are just not strong enough and you will strip the head out. Tenspot sells these bolts for $2 a set I believe. Send him a PM and see for sure.

Now that all that tecnical stuff is out of the way.............it's still just a .22lr and most any cheap rings and a weaver TO-9 base will work just fine. But if you want/desire the good stuff.......................Go back to the top of this post and read it again. I got my PC base and a set of Burris Z rings for around $35 or less

good luck,
swampf0x

·
Registered
12 Posts
langenc said:
Whenever you need rings/mounts call KURT at 1 800 MILLETT. He will direct you to his product that fits your needs. He will also direct you to Natchez or Midsouth to purchase at much less than he can sell. He must have to stick to MSRP.
I took your advice and gave Kurt a call. He was able to hook me up with what i needed out of his spare parts bin. You can't beat that with a stick!!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.