Rimfire Central Firearm Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking for a scope for my new Savage MKII BV. This is going to be used at the range out to 200yds mostly, but it will see some duty in the woods for squirrels and such. I hear good things about the Mueller APV, but am worried about it taking away from th ehandiness of the rifle because of size. I thought maybe a Bushnell 3200 10x mildot, but thought maybe too much magnification for the woods. Anyone have any advice about the two mentioned and any other advice for a scope that would fit my needs. Something that I can dial in alot of elevation would be great becasue I'm going to be shooting alot of subsonics through my Gemtech and I'll have to crank her in pretty good to hit out to 200yds I would imagine. Thanks

·
Registered
18,757 Posts
What you need is a Weaver V-24, 6-24X. You can set it on 6X for squirrels and up to 24 power for 200 yards. I would not go with a 10X fixed. Too much for squirrels and not enough for 200 yards.

·
Registered
5,597 Posts
Sounds to me like a good excuse to buy another rifle! For 200yrd rimfire target work I would prefer a 17HMR or 22mag, and save the 22lr for the squirrels in the trees and the short range target work!:bthumb: But then again Im always looking for a reason to buy another gun!:D

·
Registered
5,862 Posts
Try looking in the SCOPE FORUM here.

Lots of good info there about scopes.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
A good repeatable compact scope with resettable turrets and an adjustable objective.
http://www.clearidgeoptics.com/ultra_rm.html

These guys carry them.
http://theopticzone.com/detail.aspx?ID=4175
I've read a few good threads about this scope. Is there anything that people don't like about them? Also, does the 3-9 have the target turrets or is it just the XP model? I know this isn't the scope forum, but I have the thread started already. What ring height would I need for a Savage MKIIBV with the Clearridge? I was thinking either going with the Weaver Suregrip or the Burris Sig. Zee rings. Any other choices that would be better? Thanks for the advice. I don't use scopes much as you can tell. This .22 will be the only thing in my whole collection with a scope on it. Went to using irons on all my stuff years ago. Thanks

·
37,366 Posts
I just bought my THIRD Mueller APV. It is 2" longer than the Clear ridge but give 5 more X and is only $115 delivered to you door w/Sunshade. Clear ridge is $209 (I'm not sure if that is shipped or + shipping).

I shoot my Muellers at 200 yards all the time and have used them to qualify for every 25 yds 1/4" and 1/8" games here so they work very well at woods ranges.

I would not have order that 3rd one if I did not beleive in them. I had one on a 22 Hornet for a year and it is so clear and sharp I could see 22 cal bullet holes at 200 yards. That says a lot I think.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Do you rezero when shooting long distance or just hold over? I was thinking of something that I could just dial up some elevation and then be able to set it back to my 50 or 100yd zero.

·
X-Mod
19,593 Posts
I've read a few good threads about this scope. Is there anything that people don't like about them? Also, does the 3-9 have the target turrets or is it just the XP model? I know this isn't the scope forum, but I have the thread started already. What ring height would I need for a Savage MKIIBV with the Clearridge? I was thinking either going with the Weaver Suregrip or the Burris Sig. Zee rings. Any other choices that would be better? Thanks for the advice. I don't use scopes much as you can tell. This .22 will be the only thing in my whole collection with a scope on it. Went to using irons on all my stuff years ago. Thanks
The only complaint I can think of anyone having would be not enough power. It does have resettable semi-target turrets, they are very similar to the XP's just not as tall. It's a clear repeatable scope very comparable to a Weaver, and it's a good choice if you want something a little more compact.

Here's a review that fullchoke did a while back. Anyway the 15th post has some good pics of the turrets.
http://www.rimfirecentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=161526&highlight=clearidge

The Mueller APV is a piece of... just kidding, great scope and extremely clear for the money spent. I have one on a Savage MKIIBV.

Burris Sig. Zees are excellent rings. High ones will clear the Mueller perfectly with the stock bases on your Savage. Mediums may clear the Clearidge RM, but I'd get the high ones regardless, just in case you were to change to a larger scope later.

Ahhhh, decisions.

Have fun. :)

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I just bought my THIRD Mueller APV. It is 2" longer than the Clear ridge but give 5 more X and is only $115 delivered to you door w/Sunshade. Clear ridge is $209 (I'm not sure if that is shipped or + shipping).

I shoot my Muellers at 200 yards all the time and have used them to qualify for every 25 yds 1/4" and 1/8" games here so they work very well at woods ranges.

I would not have order that 3rd one if I did not beleive in them. I had one on a 22 Hornet for a year and it is so clear and sharp I could see 22 cal bullet holes at 200 yards. That says a lot I think.
Who has them for $115 shipped?

·
Registered
857 Posts
Mueller did at one time, but I just checked and they were $129. I noticed "not for magnum rifles". wonder if it would hold up on a light load 45-70?

I had one on my 17HMR and loved it. I now have a H&R in 45-70 and was thinking of getting a 22 hornet barrel for it. I would like to have a scope I could use on either barrel.

·
37,366 Posts
I just got mine (3rd one) in two days. Came today:D :bthumb:

Ordering from Dennis is kinda fun. Not so much point and click but a conversation with a great guy. I got mine from him at Mizzou.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.