Rimfire Central Firearm Forum banner

What scope do you have on your .17s?

69560 Views 290 Replies 195 Participants Last post by  ThisIsFun
I am trying to decide on a scope for my Ruger 77/17 VM/BBZ, I would like to keep it under $400. I have thought about the Weaver V-24 not sure I like the reticle, the V-16 is nice. I have also looked at the Leupold VX II 6-18x40. I plan on shooting paper and small fuzzy animals. Any thoughts would be great.
41 - 60 of 291 Posts

· Registered
12 Posts
I had a Loopy VX1, so I put it on my VS with BKLs. Works OK, but I'll see if its a keeper after I get my eye fixed...:) Right now, the fine crosshair is a problem. Later, I may still want to upgrade to a Swift 6-18X50.:D
Tom

· Registered
106 Posts
It does not seem to many people on this forum are old centefire varmit
shooters.Most of the new import scopes have gone down in quality.
Some of the older scopes are very good.There is a lot of discussion
on scopes but I don't seen to have heard one word about parallax adjustment.
Spend big dollars on a scope and don't read the instruction and you
are not going to be very happy when you start shooting at varing
distance.If the set up instructions don't even tell you what the factory
setting is,it is junk.Don't ever buy a scope labled .22 rimfire.They are usually
set at fixed parallax adjustment of 50 yards.They are junk anyway.Sighting
in a quality scope and properly installed is pretty easy,changing the parallax
to some extreme range are changing it at all will probally drive you nuts.
I used to like redfield and nikon but the new ones I have looked at lately
don't look all that good.Leupold seems to be one of the best now.When
I use to shoot a lot I found just one cup of joe and one cancer stick
changed my groups from .3 inches to an inch.The rifles with the
slot claw mounts can some times be a pain and if they are
not cut right almost impossible because they will tend to bend the
scope.If you have the perfect rifle setup it will still take a long time
before your mind,eye and body will mate with the rifle.Just years
of shooting and a lot of frustration.
Ed

· Registered
15 Posts
My choice

I have an NEF hummer and I plan on putting a Simmons Blazer 8-32x44mm on it. I have used this scope on my 10/22 for quite a while and found it to be accurate and repeatable. However, if I had a little extra money, my choice would be the Swift 8-32x50. It is clearer and comes with one of the best warranties in the business. I hope this helps. Keep shootin' and havin' fun!

Squint

· Registered
68 Posts
Dont get a BSA scope, i bought a 4-16x50 BSA "catseye" scope for my savage .308, one of my friends and i were sighting it in at the range one day and all of a sudden blam! after 3-4 shots my cross hairs moved crooked (not the scope in the rings either) so IMO BSA scopes suck (no offence to anyone) but i've just had bad experience with them, i now have a sightron tactical 6-24 and it's perfect, no one mentioned Sightron?? seem to be good to me under $400

shawn

· Banned
14 Posts
Ruger 77/17V Scopes

Huck70: I have the same Rifle you have (Ruger 77/17V) and I came by a sweet deal on a used Weaver K-15 some time ago and I really like it for all kinds of day time Varminting. The Fox night Hunting season will be starting for me in a few months and I need to trade scopes for something more conducive to night spotlighting. I am dealing on a Weaver V-16 (variable 4 to 16X) now for it. I have another V-16 and really like them. For the money they are quite a good deal. A couple years back I got a bunch of the Weaver V-16's at $200.00 apiece no tax! I am a Leupold kind of guy though and sold all of them but one. I wish I would have kept more of them back then!
I have two of the Leupold 6X18's on Varminters (a Ruger #1-B in 22 Hornet and another on a Ruger #1-B in 218 Bee) they are great scopes and I like the fine Du-plexes on them. I would not hesitate to put one on your Ruger 77/17V! I am not sure what they are running these days but I am sure you can get a good used one for under $400.00.
My Ruger is capable of excellent accuracy and I would not hesitate to put plenty of scope power on the 17 HMR. Reasons being - headshots on Prairie Dogs when they are peeking out of their holes, long shots on Ground Squirrels and the ability (like I recently did) to place a 17 HMR Remington V-Max 17 grain pill right into the Adams Apple of a large male Badger at 172 yards. Thus killing it with one shot! What ever brand you choose I urge a high top end variable with an adjustable objective!
Good luck!

Landis Fan: You mentioned there are no shooting benches or sand bags in the fields! Funny thing, every time I turn around there is a VERY sturdy, Very steady shooting bench right beside me! No matter how far I am from the VarmintMobile! I wheel it along behind me, effortlessly, as it bumps over large rocks, clumps, pivot tracks whatever and it instantly flips off its wheels and onto its legs! Then, out of my day pack comes three sandbags! BR types, and I have an absolutely steady sight picture for my Varmint shooting. I have 5 Harris bi-pods but there are better set ups for shooting ALL kinds of Colony Varmints. Almost anything is better from using sand bags on your hood, sand bags on your canopy roof (standing on the tailgate), the huge Bucks bags that envelop your Rifles mid section and especially a tri-pod and rear style sandbag are much better set ups for Colony Varmints than the Harris bi-pods. The Harris's are useable and work OK but there are many much steadier setup options than the bi-pod. I use the Harris's almost exclusively calling predators and when night Hunting predators though.

JDoyle: I have the same scope you have. What then is your 100 yard point of impact above your sighting point - how high are you at 100 yards with which ammunition? I use the Remington.

Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

· Registered
106 Posts
Just wanted to add something to my long post above.Most of the older
scopes made in Japan are excellent and I do have a tasco made
in Japan on my old 10/22 and it is staying on the rifle at fifty yards
it is a tack driver.Are the 10/22 rifles made today as accurate as
the older ones, I think mine is about 15 years old.
Queston: I had a yellow filter on a 22.250.It was a high quality
made glass filter on an old Weaver.It really helped in low light
shooting.Does any body still make Glass filters for scopes any more.
They used to be made in different colors and were also a good
protector for the lens.I can't find any on the net,they use to be
fairly popular.The yellow was to much for bright sun light
shooting but the gray was very good.Just a reminder,when you
get thru sighting in your rifle just move your head from side to side
to see if the cross hairs move.

Ed
Exploding fur are feathers and red mist is the ultimate heart
rate increaser,maybe it is even healthy for the heart.

· Banned
14 Posts
Night Sighting

ReidH: I use the wonderful night illumination products made by those Australian people who make the NightForce scopes. These are outstanding and superbly functional products!
I have both the Rifle scope mounted "Lance" light (Model RMSM 140) and the million candle power hand held Striker light (Model SL170). Both of these lights have interchangeable colored filters. I prefer the red and then the blue filters. Both Models of lights can be plugged into a vehicles cigarrette lighter plug OR connected to the NightForce portable battery pack (Model BPS-2). This battery pack has a rheostat control to smoothly increase or decrease the light beams intensity! Fantastic tool this! You can call at night with the rheostat turned down low where it will just reflect the incoming eyes of predators! Then when the Predator is in a position to be shot the rheostat can be increased in power to fully illuminate the body position of the Varmint!
Great products these - I highly recommend them! Over the decades I have night Hunted no product I have seen or used compares to them! Well thought out, durable, powerful and versatile! The best aids for night Hunting in my opinion!
www.nightforceoptics.com (LightForce U.S.A. for NightForce products).
Also on a few occassions when conditions are just right at night - like a bright moon, snow on the ground and some reflective clouds you can actually (and I have) night Hunt without any artificial illumination! Those conditions are rare and never last all night but it can be done! I have killed Coyotes out to nearly 200 yards under these conditions and you can spot them at distances way beyond that!
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

· Registered
327 Posts
Lightforce/Nightforce

VarmintGuy, Not that I could afford one of those $1,000+ scopes, but I couldn't find anywhere on their site if they have adjustable objective -- do they? Is their glass as good as Bushnell 4200 -- or just bigger?

Also, where'd you get your scopelight? I'm just north of Seattle, an Everett 4x4 only stocks the vehicle lights but could order one from Idaho. The scope lights are very reasonably priced! Love the dimmer control idea!

41 - 60 of 291 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.