Rimfire Central Firearm Forum banner

What scope do you have on your .17s?

70328 Views 290 Replies 195 Participants Last post by  ThisIsFun
I am trying to decide on a scope for my Ruger 77/17 VM/BBZ, I would like to keep it under $400. I have thought about the Weaver V-24 not sure I like the reticle, the V-16 is nice. I have also looked at the Leupold VX II 6-18x40. I plan on shooting paper and small fuzzy animals. Any thoughts would be great.
241 - 260 of 291 Posts
I haven't decided what I am going to top my XT-17 with yet, still waiting on a new stock.

But I have a Mueller 8-32 tactical with Mil Dot reticle.
Or a Weaver V-24 with Mil dot reticle just waiting to get on board.
On my own Savage Arms 93R17 BTV, I have mounted a BSA Sweet-17 6-18x 40mm scope.

Now I know that to some of you, a BSA scope is somewhat 'pedestrian' in taste, but it does work for me :bthumb:

Cheers,
Ed
Scope

I put on a Mueller 4.5 -14 APV. Decent optic at a reasonable price. I have BSA, Burris, Nikon, Vortex, & Zeiss.
17/scopes

Mueller Eradicater on Marlin hmr17vs.:) Bushnell-made Browning 5-15x42 on CZ 452 Varmint 17hm2.:)
Another Mueller 8.5-25x50 Eraticator "Silver Version"
Simmons 44 Mag 6.5-20x44

I am very happy with both and only wish there was a side focus version of each.
I have found that higher magnification is needed for the ground squirrel shooting I do. I often find them hidden among ground cover exposing just their heads. It is like trying to find a weed colored quarter hidden among a bunch of weeds from long range.
With the HMR's ability to place shots on a dime easily at 100 yards, I need to be able to see them at those ranges which the higher magnification allows me to do.
BSA Sweet 17

For the price its a great scope it has treated me good but surprisingly holds true even when dropped, if you wanna go the cheap route id consider the BSA
Nikon Monarch 3 4-16x 42 SF mil dot. Love it!
On my Ruger American I went with a BSA Sweet 17. $49.99 on Amazon. I have several friends with this same scope and no issues for several years and hundreds if not thousands of rounds.
Scope question for you guys??? I thought you would know best although it's for on my .22LR.

I'm thinking of putting a older style Nikon Monarch 6.5-20X44 UCC on my Sako .22

But I'm worried about the parallax situation as my .22 tends to be shot at targets at about the 50 meter range. I've got the same scope on my .17HMR and like it for the 100m to 200m sort of shooting I do with it..

Should I get the scope or would it be not right for a shorter range type gun?

Scope question for you guys??? I thought you would know best although it's for on my .22LR.

I'm thinking of putting a older style Nikon Monarch 6.5-20X44 UCC on my Sako .22

But I'm worried about the parallax situation as my .22 tends to be shot at targets at about the 50 meter range. I've got the same scope on my .17HMR and like it for the 100m to 200m sort of shooting I do with it..

Should I get the scope or would it be not right for a shorter range type gun?

Consider Nikon's PROSTAFF Target EFR Rimfire Rifle Scope 3-9x 40mm. The only downside, if it is a downside, is it has ½ MOA windage and elevation clicks. That translates into ~ ¼ inch st 50 yards and ⅜ inch at 75 yards. It'll focus to about 15 meters, I believe. (I believe it's intended for pellet guns and .22 rifles.)

I'd prefer to have a side focus, but this is a lot of scope for the money.

Leupold makes a similar scope that is more expensive but which has ¼ MOA clicks.
I have a Leupold VX2 6-18x40 AO, FD on my CZ 452 American in .17hmr and love It. 1.5" groups at 200 yards are not uncommon.
Have a vortex viper 3-9x40 on my cz 452. Really couldn't ask for anything more.
Anschutz 1517 heavy barrel topped with a Vortex Viper 6.5-20x50
I like to see the bullet holes.

See less See more
Ive got a Nikon EFR on my bolt 22, centerfire 3-9 on my 10/22 and a Primary arms 6-18 for my 17 coming in the mail :)
I'm looking for a reasonably priced scope for the HMR.
No more than 40mm objective, reliable lockable turrets, at least 6x mag and not heavy
any suggestions please
I have a Sightron 3-9x36 FCH that I need to sell. PM me if interested.
241 - 260 of 291 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.