Rimfire Central Firearm Forum banner

What Rest to Buy? Help me decide.

592 7
What Rest to Buy? Please help me decide.
I am considering purchase of a rifle rest but cannot yet decide which one; thus, I would greatly appreciate your perspectives. I have searched this group for info on rests, but still have some questions. I am trying to decide among these rests:
1. Bald Eagle "slingshot"
2. Bald Eagle deluxe
3. Sinclair all purpose
4. Cowan (I sent Joe Cowan an email 2 weeks ago asking for advice, but so far he has not responded).
5. Rock (Cabela's catalog)
6. Hoppes (Cabela's catalog)
7. Whether or not to buy a windage top for any of the above
8. What make and style of bags to get. Have heard good things about both Bald Eagle and Protektor from this forum.

My situation: I like to target shoot from a rest but do not currently shoot competitively. The rifles that I use in order of most to least use are:
1. Anschutz 64 MPR with 6.5 x 20 - 40mm AO Leupold scope
2. Ruger 10/22 with 6x Bushnell
3. Marlin Glenfield 25 with cheapie Glenfield 4x scope
4. Ruger 77 in 6mm Rem with same scope as 1. above
I shoot a variety of ammo and am not hesitant to shoot the best available if it performs best in my gun (e.g. the best Eley or Lapua - I figure if I lay out $1000 for a gun and scope, what the heck is $10 for a great box of 22's). I only shoot a couple times a month during the warmer seasons.

My request of this group: Any comments or advice you could give me would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

P.S. I followed the advice of several of you before purchasing the Anschutz 64 .... and I could not be better pleased with it. So, I thought I'd come back to you on my "rest and bag" questions.

..... Retiree

I also posted this in "shooting accessories" but that group does not seem to get much traffic. Sorry for the double posting.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,920 Posts
There's a thread on the open forum that I started last week. I had sevearal very good replies to the same question that you are asking. I sent Mr. Cowan an email and got on his list-he responded very quickly--maybe he was out of town when you emailed him. He seems like a great guy. Actually we sent several emails back and forth. He said the next delivery on the rests would be April or May. The guys opinions of the Cowan rest convinced me to order one, but I'm sure there are several good ones out there--Hart, Bald Eagle, Sinclair, Ransom, and others I'm sure. I like the Hart with the Hoehn windage top too--but it depends on what you ae trying to do with the rest and what your needs are. I believe that you can't go wrong with a quality product since they hold their value or increase in value--it's almost always the case. Check the thread, there's some good info in it.
Kent Owens

·
Registered
3,642 Posts
Farley Rest

Mad,

That's an impressive piece of hardware.......! ! :t

Does it come with a Pentium 4 Processor that tracks your hits and automatically compensates for the next shot.....? ? ;)

Hey, we've come a long way from shooting over a folded coat...! ! :D

·
Registered
95 Posts
Hi, Farley rest = $700ish
Cowan Rest $210 shipped
It all depends on how much you are willing to spend . I myself went with the Cowan rest and am very happy with it. But I can't hook up a camera to my rest like the Farley , I must use a spotting scope while using 6x at 50 yards. Plus I am happily married and intend to keep it that way . LOL LOL ...........WVleo

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.