Rimfire Central Firearm Forum banner
1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
356 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 10 year old I Phone 7 is on it's last leg. I know little about phones today. And I use maybe 10% of their capabilities. I talk, text, e mail some and ocassionally lookup something on the internet. And use my ballistic apps, of course.

This is probably opening a giant can of worms... but what smart phone should I get? And why do you think this?

·
Premium Member
59,318 Posts
I just recently upgraded to the iPhone 13 from a XR, not the giant one just the 13, really pleased with it and several carriers are offering pretty good upgrade deals right now.

Reactions: jabber6

·
Registered
5,542 Posts
I got a Samsung J3 about 3 or 4 years ago. Still working fine. It was very low cost then (with a plan) and does absoulutely everything you need (I am talking to the OP). I just did a quick look and these phones are generally called Galaxy and prices were ranging from 50 to 150. At 50 it maybe a refurb. If you sign a contact you might get a phone free. I cannot help you for a big dollar ego full filling phone. If you are a piker and still want a capable phone in a quality brand any basic Samsung will do. I see somethign at ATT called S22. It really does not matter, phone is a phone, Samsung are all ok.

·
Premium Member
4,837 Posts
What is SE?
For budget conscious, the SE the way to go. It still has the button. It’s like buying last years golf clubs, average person won’t know the difference,

Reactions: lesptr

·
Premium Member
4,837 Posts
Iphone 13... worth every penny. I got the mid size. It's like my traveling office. Stunning pic quality.
My company just gave me a new iPhone 13 . I got the mini. Wish it was a little smaller. It’s close to the old 5.

·
Registered
617 Posts
I was in a similar situation just about two months ago - my iphone 6 finally wouldn't accommodate most new apps, so I upgraded to the iphone 13 Pro (not Pro Max). I largely did so because of the deal and already being familiar with the Iphone. The 13 Pro is a great phone. However, I live in a house divided; my wife is team Android and I have to admit, the latest and greatest Samsung phones look pretty much comparable to Apple's best in most every way that matters to me.

The best advice I can give you is to get the best model of whatever platform you choose, so that you can hold out as long as possible before your new phone gets so old and outdated that you have no choice but to replace it in years to come.

·
Registered
895 Posts
I gave up buying Samsung phones. The bloatware is insane.

My vote is on iPhone.
That's what I was thinking but my son, who is an Apple fanatic, swore up and down to me a while back he'd had enough of them and would never buy another one after the last one. He's in the HVAC business and when his brand new phone died they told him it had got wet and they wouldn't help him. He said the only way it had to have got wet would have been from sweat and it was even in a case, he had to fork out some big bucks for another one and ranted, lol.

·
Registered
5,061 Posts
Choose what you prefer. Like that other thread, none is "better". I use one but have another for overseas travel because my one here only works on certain networks there. I buy a SIM at the vending machines in airports for the other, and enable its wifi so I can use my regular phone for email, nav, text, and certain calls.

·
Premium Member
1,897 Posts
If you are in the Apple ecosystem I'd stay with it. I'm an android guy but I am considering buying a bunch of software again to switch. Apple updates longer than Samsung.

Reactions: kmckinnon

·
Registered
154 Posts
it sounds like i use my phone in a very similar way to how you use yours...just the basic functions (make a call, check email, calendar function, an occasional photo and occasional internet use.

if so just about any last years model should work fine. I go to Costco and ask to see 3 or 4 of their least expensive deals/models and pick one that fits in my pocket with buttons that are easy to manipulate.

personally, i never appreciated the value of a $1000 mobile phone. just never needed to impress anyone.

·
Premium Member
35,730 Posts
iPhone 13 Pro if you like to take pictures. The camera is incredible. I've got a nice Canon intermediate camera that just collects dust now because the camera on the 13 Pro is so good.

1 - 20 of 48 Posts