Rimfire Central Firearm Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm new to the forum but have been lurking for a few days. There is some great info here! I just bought a new 10/22 and am getting ready to tinker with it. I'm looking to create a good hunting/plinking/target rifle and I have a few questions.

1)What are the advantages of 18" compared to 20" barrels?
2)Will the new GM barrel chambered for Stingers also reliably shoot other non-stinger ammo?
3)Does anybody use the Hogue stock for the type of use I'm looking for and how do you like it with a heavy barrel in it? Is it too barrel heavy for non bench type shooting?

Thanks in advance for your replies!

·
Registered
41 Posts
Sorry the Seach is disabled but all this has been discused numerous times here. I ran about 100 seaches before I deceided which barrel to buy, which stock to put it on. Here's what I've learned in my few months of reading.

There won't be much difference in accuracy between a 18" and 20" barrel. I wanted mine to be a duel purpose gun. One that shot great but could be carried for hunting too. I went with a GM 18" fluted to save weight but give me enough barrel to make a great shooter. I also knew I may be out in the weather a little bit. (Hunting) So the Hogue was a good choice for me. I don't have to worry about banging it on something while walking or messing up my finsh because I rested it on a rock or stump. I think the Hoge is lighter then wood stocks. I have never weight two stocks so this is just a guess. I'm sure someone here has taken the time to do this. Hope this helps I'm know you will get your questions answered here.

·
Registered
210 Posts
I don't think that you will find any accuracy difference in any GM barrel you choose. I have a 16.5" fluted that is mated to a Hogue OM stock and it puts the weight squarely between the hands. I would imagine that the 18 and 20" barrels are on the nose heavy side. My GM barrel replaced a hammer forged 20" barrel that was WAY too nose heavy when combined with the Hogue stock. I also use the 16.5" barrel for target work and have no difficulty staying on target. The weight is about perfect for this combo.

·
Registered
5,131 Posts
Some Barrel Weights for Reference

inki,

For your reference, here's how they break down weight wise:
Green Mountain Heavy, 20" :____~ 3 pounds
Green Mountain Fluted, 20" :____~ 2 pounds 8oz.
Green Mountain Heavy, 18" :____~ 2 pounds 6 oz.
Green Mountain Heavy, 16 ½" :__~ 2 pounds 4 oz.
"WMBS" 22" Sporter*:__________~ 2 pounds 3 oz.
[* also the "Wal*Mart" 'Special' 22" barrel]
"Ruger" Factory Sporter, 18 ½" :___1 pound 14 oz.
"Clark" Sporter__________________1 pound 14 oz.
"GM" & "WMBS" weights from Ken Clark at "WMBS".

Hope this helps....! ! :)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.