Rimfire Central Firearm Forum banner

what kind of groups do you guys get at 100 yards?

3K views 55 replies 24 participants last post by  Macc 
#1 ·
What kind of groups do you guys get at 100 yards with your .22 lr? I'm just curious. Today I was out testing ammo today and almost all of my shots were around 2" or so. Joe

#3 ·
With a very good accurate rifle usually about 2 inches average.
Some of the group are 1.5 or a bit less.

The other day I did have two five shot groups right at one inch.
But that was under dead calm conditions. One of the big reasons
smaller groups at 100 yards aren't smaller is how much the
wind effects them.

#4 ·
well that makes me very happy

I was shooting off of a plastic table with my squirrelling fanny pack stuffed with a shirt for a rest. (the rifle sits in the groove between the pockets. A big surprise for me was that Federal lightning put 3 out of 5 shots in a .3 group and the fourth was a little quieter and fell 3 inches down the page, and of course I pulled to the right and let loose a flyer on the third. I think I am going to get some caldwell bags and fill em up with poly pellets and some lead shot to add weight. I think if I try some of the higher end federal ammo with the rests I'll be having much better luck (are federal target loads lightning made to higher standards?) Thanks for all the help guys!
Joe

#7 ·
In Dewer competition you have the 100 yard prone stage.

It is shot from the prone position with a sling and aperture front and rear sights.

Decent shooters shoot less than 2 inches and some hold the X ring which is about 3/4 inch.

The best I have ever personaly done is around one inch. I can't do this on a regular basis.

I can useally hold the ten ring which is about 1 and 3/4 inches.

You shoot two targets for score. Ten rounds on each target in twenty minutes.

#8 ·
Chum Bucket, the generalized NBRSA classifications at the time those scores were shot: Sporter cannot weigh more than 8.5 lbs, must be a mass-produced factory rifle, must have the factory stock. Light custom must weigh less than 10.5 lbs, but can be custom beyond that. Unlimited is just that, pretty much anything you want to shoot. Most folks shoot the same rifle in Light and Unlimited. Since the Nationals, the sporter rules have been changed to where now, you can shoot just about any rifle, custom or otherwise, as long as it weighs less than 8.5 lbs. The Grand Aggs are the combination of the 100 and 50 yard aggs for the individual classes. So the Sporter Grand is the average (expressed in MOA) of the 5 50 yard and 5 100 yard targets each shooter shot with their sporter.

#9 ·
Shooting a near perfect group

1st shot made it a perfect group, measuring around .0"!
Second shot opend it up to just over 3"
3'rd shot made the group go haywire.
After no more than 100 shots i finally had a group of 3 shots touching at 100m! The rest were just sighters!
Tounge firmly in cheek.:D :D :D

#10 ·
Forester said:
Before you get a lot of outrageous claims, check out these groups shot by the benchrest crowd, shot with 8.5 lb. sporter rifles and match ammo. The average appears to be around 1 inch. Keep in mind these are high-dollar rifles, high power scopes, $10 a box ammo, and some mighty serious shooters.

It seems that a good position shooter can do as well as the benchrest guys.

And they do it with iron sights from prone.

#13 ·
yes...

I went and got the target and my dial calipers and the 3 shots that were centered in the bull were .4 ctc. The flyer and the semi-dud were out to 2.5" I don't know why nobody can believe anything someone says around here. I am just looking for some help and something for me to base my comparisons on.
Thanks,
Joe

#14 ·
rain164845

I don't think it is impossible for someone to shoot three shots @100 yds with a .22 lr into the group you stated.I'm sure that it can happen.BUT,it's not going to happen very often.The groups that the BR shooters are turning in happens everyday.There's a big difference.If everyone here would shoot a ton at 100 yds with their .22 lr's,they would probably eventually get a few shots to touch.I think the big problem would be to be able to 'call' your shot.This would be very difficult.

#15 ·
Rain It sounds like you did everything right 3 out of 5 times. Keep practicing. I have a friend that has an old anchutz .22lr bolt gun. His gun is very accurate at 100 yards. We used to knock down empty shotgun shells with it at 100 yards more times than not. That was around 20 years ago. They must have made good guns back then.

#16 ·
Re: rain164845

hapnin said:
I don't think it is impossible for someone to shoot three shots @100 yds with a .22 lr into the group you stated.I'm sure that it can happen.BUT,it's not going to happen very often.
I agree, it was probably very lucky. I have caldwell shooting bags in the mail from cabelas as I type this and I just got a bench my uncle gave to me, so when I get back from camping this week I'll try some longer shots. I'm also getting some burris signature mounts so hopefully I'll be knockin the X out of the target at 100 :D We'll see how it happens. Take 'er easy fellas,
Joe

#19 ·
My wife and I met McCoy,@ the range today. Since I'd remembered this thread, I set my taget stand @ 100 and fired 1-5 shot group with 2 seperate ammo's. They were both in the 1.5 - 1.75" inch range.
We set up a bunch of shotgun empties @100 and commenced to shooting @ them. McCoy had quite an advantage with his hummer, but I didn't embarass myself with my CZ:D
Paul
Or, I shot 10 seperate 0.0 groups p :p :p :p :p ;)
Those ONE SHOT groups are SOOOO easy :D
pj

#20 ·
I have shot a few 100 yrd. groups of .5" or less with rimfire BR rifles under ideal conditions,but I haven't seen a rifle or shooter yet that could do it consistently.I think the best I did while shooting NBRSA for 5-5 shot groups at 100 was slightly less than .8".I do remember my best 50yrd. agg. was.217" for 5-5 shot groups.That was good enough for 2nd.place and the good friend that won agged .199" which I believe is still the NBRSA world record.That was back around 1990.Good Shooting,Jim.

#21 ·
Something hasn't been said here, and it needs said. A group like what was described is neat to fold up and carry around in ones billfold, but here's the cold hard facts.

When it comes to shooting any competition, (or for that matter, just truthful casual shooting) the "fliers" and the "semi-duds" count every bit as much as the good ones. You don't get to pick and choose. You don't ignore the ones you don't like.

You don't get to shoot a couple of them over just because a couple of them didn't go where you wanted them to go.

In war time, those fliers mean the enemy is still shooting back. Out hunting, it means you don't eat tonight. When it comes to eating what you shoot, sometimes reality is harder to swallow than a chunk of Razorback Steak....and not very filling.

;)

Ron

#23 ·
Starride, The inital post just asked about 100yrd group size and didn't include any question about equipment. This is a fairly informal thread :D
FYI my 2 groups today were both shot with my CZ Ultra Lux with a tasco 4-16x50 scope and the ammo was Aguila Standard Vel and CCI Blazer.
Paul

#25 ·
Thanks for both the welcome and the explanation. I sorta thought this thread was informal and laid back. I'm a collector and shooter of milsurp firearms and have several .22's cause there just so fun.I don't have anything that will acheive the group sizes you fellers get.(with me shootin' it):) Al

#26 ·
Forester said:

Cornbread--You are right that Master smallbore shooters can shoot amazingly well, and with irons too.
Most people have no idea just how steady the prone position is when using a shooting sling.

An experienced prone shooter can shoot better than some can on a bench.

A properly sized front aperture sight can work wonders on known size targets.

In smallbore position you not only have to shoot tiny groups but they have to be center. A one hole group in the 8 ring is worthles.

You have to zero every time you shoot. Sometimes you have to put on a few clicks while shooting one target if the light changes.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.