Rimfire Central Firearm Forum banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
566 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I will soon be experimenting with various different ammos to see what works best with my Marlin 60. Of the ammo that's available I will be checking out Aguila Super Max HP's and SP's, CCI Mini Mags and Stingers, and Federal high velocity. How are the Winchester Wildacts and the Remington ammo? I am willing to try anything to start with as long as it's not something so poorly made that it's going to cause problems with my gun, but I don't really know what to try.

·
Registered
255 Posts
My model 60 has worked with anything I have fed it over the years. Rem' Golden Bullets foul the action quicker than most other brands of bulk stuff, so I lean to Federal HP's or the American Eagle 40 to a box stuff.

As a side note, I bought some Aguila Super Colibri's to shoot some black birds out of my pie cherry tree. You have to cycle the action manually, but that ol' Marlin was deadly accurate with them at 50' or less. I can't recall that I ever missed any of those cherry thieving birds, and it was so quiet, you could hear the bullet smack. :D

·
Registered
3,331 Posts
I will soon be experimenting with various different ammos to see what works best with my Marlin 60. Of the ammo that's available I will be checking out Aguila Super Max HP's and SP's, CCI Mini Mags and Stingers, and Federal high velocity. How are the Winchester Wildacts and the Remington ammo? I am willing to try anything to start with as long as it's not something so poorly made that it's going to cause problems with my gun, but I don't really know what to try.
Grampi, I tested a number of loads in my Savage BTVS, and you can see my results below sorted in order of best to worst. As a result of the testing I have bought more Lapua Super Club, Eley Target Rifle for target shooting and Remington Cyclone for gopher hunting. In my view the Dynapoints are not bad for bulk ammo, but not great. The Federal Champions were worse, and the MiniMags worse still. In the hypervelocity stuff the Velocitors came out best, and the Remington stuff worst overall.

Hope that helps you some with your selection of what to test in your gun. In the 1500 or so rounds I shot I had zero misfires, so based on my testing, I can't see any of them that would cause harm to a gun.

Ron

·
Registered
566 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Grampi, I tested a number of loads in my Savage BTVS, and you can see my results below sorted in order of best to worst. As a result of the testing I have bought more Lapua Super Club, Eley Target Rifle for target shooting and Remington Cyclone for gopher hunting. In my view the Dynapoints are not bad for bulk ammo, but not great. The Federal Champions were worse, and the MiniMags worse still. In the hypervelocity stuff the Velocitors came out best, and the Remington stuff worst overall.

Hope that helps you some with your selection of what to test in your gun. In the 1500 or so rounds I shot I had zero misfires, so based on my testing, I can't see any of them that would cause harm to a gun.

Ron
What do the numbers in each catagory signify?

·
Registered
8,161 Posts
For American made hunting ammunition, I would expect either CCI Minimags or Winchester Super X Powerpoints to perform very well. I have had good luck out of the Minimag hollowpoints over the years. Good accuracy usually, if not spectacular, and extremely reliable. Clean burning and I can't remember more than two or three dud Minimags in my lifetime of shooting. In non-American made ammo, I have had excellent results with Wolf Match Target, SK Standard Plus, SK Match, SK Subsonic, RWS Subsonic, Eley Club Extra, and Eley Subsonic.

·
Premium Member
4,408 Posts
Take a look at this book:

Rifleman's Guide to Rimfire Ammunition by Steven Boelter.

If you don't want to buy one check with your public library.........Steven tested just about every type of .22 ammunition you can find and he provides all the information you could possibly want!!

·
Registered
771 Posts
I really don't shoot much "high-end" ammo. Right now the majority of my .22 ammo is CCI Blazers, Win. Wildcats, and Win. Super-X HPs. All 3 of these have worked great for me over the years. Very consistant, clean and accurate in most all of my guns. Have been working with Federal 510s lately and they are showing a lot of promise. The Remington ammo has for the most part been accurate and reliable, but it is typically very dirty. Just my opinions. YMMV.

·
Registered
2,792 Posts
I mostly shoot the following: Federal 510's (available at Walmart), CCI Standard Velocity, Remington Golden Bullets and my supply of PMC Moderators. When I'm trying to shoot better, I'll shoot Wolf Match Target and some of the better grades of target match ammo. I don't compete, but it is still fun to try to get some 0.25" groups at 50 yds. I rarely do any better than that.

I still shoot Remington Thunderbolts and Federal bulk pack. Have just started to experiment with the Winchester Dynapoints again. Variety is the spice of life.

·
Registered
945 Posts
I usually shoot bulk-type or cheap ammo. I've got quite a stash of cheap stuff. I think up til today, the most I ever paid for a brick, was T22 target @ $30/500. I've bought a few boxes of Eley (Club Xtra and Target Rifle), but not much. That changed today, when I went to pick up 2 bricks of Zappers ($40/1000) and I picked up a brick of SK STD+ for $40 instead, and may get another this weekend. Too good of a price to pass it up.

·
Registered
3,331 Posts
What do the numbers in each catagory signify?
It is a long story, but AVG is the average size of a two shot group measured center to center. Most loads have 24 groups or in some cases more. The orange colored ones at the top are only 5 groups, so those results are very tenative. Eley Tenex deserves to be there based on reputation, but CCI Green Tag is questionable. If I can find more green tag to buy I will to find out for sure. At the price of Tenex, I can wait on that one.

STDEV is standard deviation. It is a measure of how consistent the group size is. A higher STDEV indicates more flyers.

3Sigma is the average plus three standard deviations. About 99.9% of future two shot groups should be less than that size.

The Est 5 Shot is an estimate of the size of a 5 shot group. The cells in gold have 5 shot groups to back up their size. I did not have enough ammo to do 5 shots for them all.

All groups were shot at 40 yards indoors and corrected by adding 25% to get the 50 yard estimated group size.

Ron

·
Registered
566 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 · (Edited)
I checked out the ammo at Wally World yesterday. Their prices on the hyper velocity stuff is just too darn high. They charge as much for 50 rounds of stingers as they can be had for off the internet for 100 rounds. The only bulk ammo this store carries (500 round boxes) is the Remington gold, Federals, and Wildcats. None of these were priced higher than about $14. I think I'll just place an internet order for 50 rounds of each brand and type (except for probably the Remington golds, I've been hearing too many bad things about this round) and just use trial and error to determine which works best.

·
Registered
198 Posts
Our preferred ammo

Well, due to circumstances totally out of my control :D , the wife daughter and I use Federal AM22 for our high-mid velocity ammo and Aguila 40gr subs for our low velocity ammo, out of all of our rimfire guns.

Occasionally I'll let loose with a box or 2 of Mini-Mags and once in a while a box of Agulia Super Max will find it's way into the ammo bag.

Now, the young nephew (8), he gets the Federal bulk in the maroon box of 550, in his Marlin 25. At his preferred 25 yard targets. If he wants eggs out to 50 yards he uses the AM22 also. But he's starting to spend more time on paper out at 50 yards with the occasional sprint out to the 75 yard mark. So this will probably change soon.

As you can tell we've pretty much settled on Federal and Aguila with the occasional foray into CCI territory. since our main reason for shooting is family time and stress relief. Yes I have a picture of the boss on a target page.:bthumb: It's not uncommon for the 4 of us to go through 2000 rounds of rimfire on a good Saturday. This is good enough for us.

·
Registered
71 Posts
I have found mine works well with Thunderbolts, Wildcats, Dynapoints. Federal Bulk Pak tend not move the bolt back far enough with some rounds, however I have used some superlube in the action and I am hoping that they will now work in it. Funny, but my Ruger Mark II works with everything--never had a jam or a failure to fire in it yet. I just bought a new Ruger 10-22 to see how well it works with the various types of ammo that I have listed.

Wally

1 - 20 of 34 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.