Rimfire Central Firearm Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2,719 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 40x benchrest rifle. Every so often, the bolt will get stiff to cock, or less frequently, to close. When it does this, I pull the bolt out, get out my liquid Break-Free, and lube nooks and crannies on the bolt, wipe off excess, insert and cycle a few times, then pull it and wipe off any excess.

Is there a proper way? I've done this 3 times over about 700 rounds, which seem rather frequent to me.

Thanks,

Ben

·
Registered
1,074 Posts
I generally clean my bolts after maybe 150 rounds or less. Instead of Break-Free, I either use a moly lube or a new synthetic gun grease.

If your chamber is old and you're getting blow-by on cases, the bolt will get dirty pretty fast. I once had a Rem. 514 that needed cleaning after only a couple of boxes or the bolt would be very difficult to operate.

Picher

·
Registered
938 Posts
Ben
I use a teflon spray to lube the bolt and action. After a through cleaning and with everything dry I spray a light coat on and let dry completely before I wipe with a clean cloth and then re-assemble. All I ever need is an occasional shot of compressed air (the can stuff) to keep the crud out.
I usually pull the bolt after every 200 rounds or so and wipe it and all mating surfaces, blow everything off and re assemble. I haven't noticed a need to relube but I usually do after 500/700 rounds anyway.

I always figured that most oils have some stickyness to them and that was going to cause it to get gritty.

Just my ol 2¢ and what I've found works in my 40X as well as the Annie.

·
Registered
2,719 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hey Gary, are you going to try to shoot at some .1" 10-rings in the pistol match?

JP- do you dissassemble the bolt? If so, how?

I have not really done much with this rifle except quickly wipe down the action insides, lube and wipe the bolt, and flush the Jewell trigger mechanism with lighter fluid. And clean the new bore after every 50, of course.

thank you for all input so far,

Ben

·
Registered
1,698 Posts
Ben... I keep meaning to but I just never remember to put the targets in the car. All kidding aside, keep it clean with Kroil, use Pro Gold grease on the load bearing surfaces and Tetra Gun on the sliding surfaces. Works for me.....................Now where the hell did I put those targets.........Regards...g

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.