Rimfire Central Firearm Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Since it looks like a trailside is out of question after doing some reading.
What is the best 22lr out there for under $500?
What I am looking for is reliability first and foremost with accuracy a very strong second.
Accuracy would be first but what good is an accurate gun if it will not function right every time.

·
Registered
4,476 Posts
so what youre saying is that its all in the gun?

IE if you get a bad round, its the guns fault since it doesnt function?

also, are you infering all you want is an autoloader or are you open to revolvers or single shots?

·
Registered
240 Posts
Start searching the dozens of Browning Buckmark versus Ruger MKII/III threads, as that's where you're headed.

As Bangbang points out, you don't specify what type (auto or revolver). But based on the Trailside comment, I'm guessing you mean an auto.

For revolvers, a S&W 17/617 can be found around that price used, and that would be a fine choice.

Of the auto's, I'd go for a Browning 5.5 Target or Field model, or the fluted barrel Bullseye model. They're the top of the Buckmark line. Definitely under $500 used, and possibly new, when they're around.

For the Ruger, I like the slabside target model. Though the 5.5" bull barrel target model gives nothing up to it. The Hunter is sharp, too. Though I don't care to pay for hi-viz sights I'll never use. I think any of these guns desrve a nice dot sight.

That's my 2 cents.

Oh, needle in a haystack - I've seen a few S&W Model 41's for $500 over the past couple years. Typically $650 and up, but bargains are occasionally around. The Smith is a solid jump up in every aspect from the Ruger and Browning.

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
First off I should have said an auto is what I am looking for.:t

Secondly any IDIOT understands about a bad round for crying out loud!!!!!!! Now a gun that has problems cycling or can't hit the broad side of a barn or does not go bang every time even though the ammo is good sure as heck ain't the ammos fault!!

·
Registered
18,145 Posts
Secondly any IDIOT understands about a bad round for crying out loud!!!!!!!
If thats what you think, then ok. Not everybody knows these things. They are asked on here all the time. There are many YOUNG shooter, or those NEW to guns and do not know whats wrong or where to start looking when there gun jams, so be easy on what you call a person you don't know.

·
Premium Member
30,499 Posts
I agree with MSC. A used S&W 41 can be had for around $500 if you are patient. If you want a new pistol then I would go the BuckMark or the Ruger MK series. If used is OK but you don't want to exceed the $500 limit or come close to it then I would purchase a Belgium Browning Challenger. For the money they are one of the best deals going. They just aren't set up for a Red Dot sight, but you can purchase an extra barrel and have a mount bolted to it.

·
Registered
4,476 Posts
one thing that i will add is that from my experince with autoloaders, things can go wrong. IE, it may jamb/malfunction and not due to the cartridges. Fouling can be a problem too.

any gun can malfunction including revolvers so you may want to keep that in the back of your mind when buying/shooting your guns.

·
Registered
21 Posts
One pistol that should merit consideration in the new Ruger Charger. Some individuals have reported quite good accuracy with their models. One factor that keeps the Charger from being mentioned more frequently is that it is a "hand rifle", meaning a handgun derived from a rifle design. That aside, it does seem to deserve consideration as a target pistol. In fact, I hope to purchase one in the future.

Timthinker

·
Registered
240 Posts
Bangbang - I won't argue that any gun can malfunction. Hey it's a mechanical device and things can go wrong. I guess my point is, that an autoloader, kept relatively clean, using an ammo it "likes", is pretty darn reliable.
- My new Buckmark had one jam during the first 100 rounds (I'll call it a break-in glitch), then never had a single problem through many rounds of many brands of ammo.
- A used MKII Govt model I had never had a single malfunction,.
- My Benelli MP95, never a malf, outside of a couple of "dud" rounds (Rem Target [email protected]
- Same with A Hammerli 280 I have now.
- My S&W 17 has never had a malfunction.

Sorry to rattle on about so many guns, but in my experience at least, it always has been the ammo. Maybe I'm just lucky...

·
Premium Member
30,499 Posts
Updating my earlier comments and understanding that reliability is more important than accuracy I would recommend a used Browning Challenger over the S&W 41. My 41 is more finicky that my Challenger. Accuracy is about the same as far as I can tell. I have a red dot sight on both guns and resting them I can get similar results depending on ammo. My S&W almost always gets the best ammo. The Challenger gets a lot of Bulk HV ammo and some SV and Hyper Velocity ammo. The Challenger has over 80,000 rounds that I put through it and was well used when I bought it. The only repair has been the replacement of the disconnecter spring which I replaced with a BuckMark spring. I recently replaced the recoil spring with a cut down BuckMark recoil spring.
The Challenger pistol can be found for approximately $350 in excellent condition with one factory mag. Colt Cadet mags can be modified to work.

·
Registered
4,476 Posts
Bangbang - I won't argue that any gun can malfunction. Hey it's a mechanical device and things can go wrong. I guess my point is, that an autoloader, kept relatively clean, using an ammo it "likes", is pretty darn reliable.
- My new Buckmark had one jam during the first 100 rounds (I'll call it a break-in glitch), then never had a single problem through many rounds of many brands of ammo.
- A used MKII Govt model I had never had a single malfunction,.
- My Benelli MP95, never a malf, outside of a couple of "dud" rounds (Rem Target cr[email protected]
- Same with A Hammerli 280 I have now.
- My S&W 17 has never had a malfunction.

Sorry to rattle on about so many guns, but in my experience at least, it always has been the ammo. Maybe I'm just lucky...
MSC,

Yes. You are correct, but alot of people dont understand that or want to. They want it right/correct out of the box. No break in and such. Also, when it comes to ammo some people think that since you have xyz gun and shoot abc ammo, my xyz gun will be the same - Not. You have learned that some guns will like certain ammo and accept that and know to test for it.

as far as the mechanical stuff goes, the OP wanted "reliabliity" and i think of KISS and belive that a revolver would be better. but the OP has to find that one out for themself.

also, YOUR "pretty darn reliable" may not equate to the OP "reliable"

·
Registered
185 Posts
If you look around online a bit, an original Wolverine is in your price range. I lucked out and got one fairly cheaply. I bought it as an investment but, when I shot it, I was very impressed. It'll do as good or better than any other semiauto else I've shot. The trigger is magnificent. It's a really good little pistol. Plus, they simply look wild.

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 · (Edited)
Ok; I may be off base here if Bangbang's intent was not what it seems but here goes anyhow.

I appreciate you giving advice Bang but your attitude makes it seem like ONLY you understand anything about guns. While I am not totally up on handguns(only owned about 20 or so in my life compared to 100's of long guns) I do have some experience with them. With that said I shoot competitively with shotguns. My current competition gun cost over $9000 (yes thousand). I have been told I am the 'huntingest MOFO' that they know by several people. I hunt in any condition so I am fully aware about taking care of my guns so they function properly!
Anyone that has been around guns for any length of time knows there are some brands or models that are just plain not as reliable as others and will cycle more different types of ammo more readily than others.
I truly did not think my original question was that difficult to understand. It was simply what is the most normally reliable gun for under $500 that I ammended to what auto is most reliable. I could have spelled out what all I knew about guns and such but I for one give my fellow man credit for not thinking everyone else is stupid besides them.
Being talked to in a condesending way like you are the only person that understands anything does rub me the wrong way. It probably shouldn't but for some reason a person that thinks no one knows anything but him and spouts off on the net without offering any advice or opinion to the ACTUAL question does rub me wrong.

With all that off my chest I do truly appreciate everyone elses opinions.

·
Registered
4,476 Posts
Ok; I may be off base here if Bangbang's intent was not what it seems but here goes anyhow.

I appreciate you giving advice Bang but your attitude makes it seem like ONLY you understand anything about guns. While I am not totally up on handguns(only owned about 20 or so in my life compared to 100's of long guns) I do have some experience with them. With that said I shoot competitively with shotguns. My current competition gun cost over $9000 (yes thousand). I have been told I am the 'huntingest MOFO' that they know by several people. I hunt in any condition so I am fully aware about taking care of my guns so they function properly!
Anyone that has been around guns for any length of time knows there are some brands or models that are just plain not as reliable as others and will cycle more different types of ammo more readily than others.
I truly did not think my original question was that difficult to understand. It was simply what is the most normally reliable gun for under $500 that I ammended to what auto is most reliable. I could have spelled out what all I knew about guns and such but I for one give my fellow man credit for not thinking everyone else is stupid besides them.
Being talked to in a condesending way like you are the only person that understands anything does rub me the wrong way. It probably shouldn't but for some reason a person that thinks no one knows anything but him and spouts off on the net without offering any advice or opinion to the ACTUAL question does rub me wrong.

With all that off my chest I do truly appreciate everyone elses opinions.
My apologies if you take my reponses as being "condesending". But as i read your OP, you could have stated you do understand about guns and have used many of them previously or something to that affect. Everyone will read it differently. Yes it shoulndt need clearifying, but i saw some questions/newbieness in it (again sorry if it offends you). It would have save some questions on my part. I for one, read between the lines from what info is given since alot of posters will ask a general/vague questions. I for one dont know you and your background so i had to pry. I also, errored by not granting you the benefit of doubt that you did know something. Again my apologies. But as ive had posted here, alot of people dont know certain things about RFs and or 22LRs in general. I dont claim to know everything, but i have learned the hard way how 22s can be finicky, POS and accurate and fun guns. They will also have a preference to a particular type/brand of ammo (again from my experience). If yours dont, then count yourself lucky. It just depends on your luck and what youre willing to put up with.

For me, since you wanted "reliability" i was thinking revolver. Yes there are the Rugers, S&W and such, but since the revolver have less things to go wrong, as i see it, i see them as being more "reliable"

again, my apologies.

edit:

if i might add, if youre open to USED guns, some of the High Standards were considered "reliable"

·
Registered
95 Posts
Rugged and Reliable...

I've only owned one rimfire pistol, a Ruger Mark II 5.5 Stainless. All stainless steel, never a problem that wasn't ammo related, only plastic was in the grips, felt like it would last forever, and... well, I took it apart a few times, but I could clean out what little crud mattered while the gun was still assembled, even though what little crud stuck to the thing never caused any problems. Could have probably lived without cleaning it for all the years I owned it. Hated selling it, and I would not hesitate to buy another, if I had the dollars to spare. Even though I presently have my eye on a Buck Mark Contour Lite 5.5 URX...

http://www.browning.com/products/catalog/firearms/detail.asp?value=006B&cat_id=051&type_id=423

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

·
Registered
156 Posts
Thompson center

If you want reliability and accuracy take a real hard look at the T.C. G-2 Contender. Better accuracy and harder then a rock to break. Sold the one I had a few years ago wish I had it back will be buying another one.:Blasting_

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.