Rimfire Central Firearm Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know that it will depend mostly on the particular ammo that my gun likes, but in your opinion, what is the best ammo to dispatch them with? Head shots will not be a guarntee, but I will do my best.:D

·
Registered
208 Posts
Rancher, what kind of flag is that, I know it's not but it **** near looks like a Chicom flag. pertaining to the subject at hand, I had always shot short HP's at squirrels but was never really that happy about the accuracy or knockdown. Adequate, yes, but not perfect. I started using Aguila subsonic HP's this yaer and they are very accurate and not much louder than a short. I am going to stick with them.

·
Registered
2,843 Posts
Rancher,

are you wanting squirrels to eat or are you trying to control pests?
If you're going to eat them, then I'd say some of the subsonic HP's. If you're getting rid of pests then I'd say stingers, velocitors or aguila super max.
Paul

·
Registered
1,791 Posts
I would second Hawks comments on the PowerPoints. I use them almost exclusively for hunting. Relatively cheap and almost as accurate as Wolf target and SK Std. in most of my .22's. Also, I have not had reliability problems with them in my semi-autos.

I like the Mini-Mags almost as well, but they are not quite as accurate as the PowerPoints in my guns.

I like the high velocity ammo. because it takes a little of the guess work out at longer .22LR distances. But, you can overcome this easy enough with practice with whichever ammo you use.

I wish you well in finding the ammo. that works for you.

Respectfully,

Macc

·
Registered
1,984 Posts
I agree with the good stuff said about the Winchester Power Points--they shoot great in my rifles too but I prefer ther Eley because it's quieter and more accurate. Not that the Power Points are inaccurate by any means--I just prefer the quieter of the two rounds (the Eley). If I was choosing HV ammo--the Power Points would get my vote--they expand very well.

·
Registered
471 Posts
shot placement

I've heard that if you shoot a squirrel in the gut (or any other animal) when he is full that his stomach will explode and blow him in half... It would probably work best with hollow points.

·
Registered
730 Posts
ammo question

I have never really given the respect to the .22 lr round that it deserves...until recently. Three weeks ago I saw a 218lb wild boar hog downed instantly with a CCI Blazer from a Browning Buckmark pistol @ a laser verified 23 yds. The boar was struck just behind his left eye and fell as fast as if he were hit with a .458 Winchester.
Of course shot placement is important, but energy can often overcome some placement problems. Velocitors decimate small game…unbelievable results.
Many a squirrel has fallen to my CCI CB's!
Stay away from the Colibri stuff. It is quiet, but it won't penetrate your tennis shoe (don't try it to prove me wrong). Last year I shot a squirrel in the head (between the eye and the ear) with the Colibri red box ammo. I had to chase the poor crippled critter across two of my neighbors' yards to finalize the deal with a CB. Never again!:eek:

Good Luck.:t

·
Registered
111 Posts
power point

i have never seen one. Nobody around here sells them and i realy wanted to try some after field and stream named them best of the best. Anybody know from where i can order some?

right now i use federal gold medal targets. quite, accurate and to this day i have never missed a squirel i shot at with one. (All head shots.):D

·
Registered
730 Posts
Winchester PowerPoints

Check out jgsales.com.

They show them for $1.75 per box. A word to the wise...minimum shipping is $9.50. That means you need to order enough stuff to spread the cost of shipping. You can call them and tell them what you want, then get them to calculate shipping.

I have had really good luck with J&G.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.