Rimfire Central Firearm Forum banner

what is best stock for benchrest

462 3
what is the best benchrest stock for the money don't want to spend an arm and a leg
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

· Registered
698 Posts
If you are inclined to finish your own stock, check out a Richard's microfit stock. Go to there web site, www.gun-stocks.com, and I'm sure you'll find one to match your tastes. I have the Electric Blue thumbhole target style, but that project is on hold right now pending modifications to it.

I just ordered a semi-fancy grade walnut benchmark stock from them, and it was approx $150 with pad installed. You can get a lesser grade of walnut for around $100, or a nice brown or black laminate starting at $129. They also have specials for some returned stocks. I've seen the laminated bench stocks for 10/22s occasionally listed for under $100. Great company to deal with, but you have to wait about 8 weeks to get the stock.

· Registered
1,156 Posts
If you don't want to spend but a buck or two then I have an Idea.
Get yourself a foot and a half of 2x4 lumber, a couple of wood or drywall srews, and some thin wood for shimming.
Figure out how much difference there is between the barrel and the bottom of your forearm on the end and near the trigger.
Use that shim material or just cut a piece so that you can put the shim under the tip of the forend. It will give you the same distance from the bottom of the barrel to the bottom of the shim as the bottom of the barrel to the bottom of the forearm near the trigger.
Now just screw that 2x4 onto the bottom of the stock.
Now you have a stock who's foream is parallel with the barrel.
Should be a great benchrest stock.
It'll probably be pretty ugly too;)

· Registered
16,533 Posts
If you are going to start modifying an existing stock, Strip it down and lay it on it's side on a table saw, with the top of the barrel channel laying against a rip fence. Then you can cut off a section of the bottom of the stock that will be parallel to the centerline of the barrel channel. THEN bolt or glue a flat piece of wood to the cut area. That will give you a wide forearm that is parallel. That is how I did my stock and it works like a charm. Some Bondo and paint make it look good too.

http://www.rimfirecentral.com/photopost/data/2/50goofin4-med.jpg

Something to consider if you are buying a stock for benchrest that isn't actually designed specifically for benchrest. The bottom of the forearm should be wide and parallel to the barrel, and don't buy a stock that is offset, or has a "cast" to it.

If the butt isn't parallel with the bore, it will flip the gun sideways a bit on recoil. Been there, done that.

Ron

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.