Rimfire Central Firearm Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
1,124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all,

I have a question for you hunters that know the big buck is on the ridge down yander but its just to far to hike to. What do you use??

Mine=Polaris Sportsman 2000 335 4x4 200 miles
Dads=Polaris Sportsman 2002 400 4x4 800 miles

I just got mine home. I acutally bought it last sat. but didnt go pick it up till today.

This pic was taken after both had a good bath. :)

Dean_311

·
Registered
2,835 Posts
Sorry Dean

A couple size 12's all I got. :D :D

err

And a deer buggy from Cabela's. :D

NICE RIGS ! :t :t

·
Registered
319 Posts
Well...........

An ordinary car gets me within sight of the ball park.

After that its the Danners or something similar:)

Its a wallet thing:eek: I'm sure some people here will understand :rolleyes:

Very nice quad BTW :t :t :t

·
Registered
1,093 Posts
The forest in our alpine regions are too thick for vehicular interception of Sambar deer( Cervus unicolur). My first and only deer I shot when I was actually a strapping almost 17 year old, litterally took me by suprise by charging out of the undergowth and honked at me.

My uncle told me to tkae the shot with his .35 Whelan and I decked it like I was useing a shot gun( had to lead and had no time to properly line up the iron).

Fired when he took a one last look at me before he was gonna run. I still remember the adrenaline dump I had from that encounter.

Apperntly our elusive Red Deer( cervus elaphus) are bigger than the examples encounterd in scotland. I would love to get a good 12 point royal one day. :D

·
Registered
406 Posts
Well ....

I have a Honda Foreman 450s but I only use it for preseason scouting and food plots . I don't like going to the stand smelling like gas fumes .
They are a bunch of fun in the off season though ....

·
Registered
364 Posts
I use both ATV's and Nags just depending... My atv's in the stable include a 2800 mile rancher, and a 530 mile grizzly, the grizzly is for sale. Here's Houdini and Tanker.

·
Registered
1,364 Posts
Well my jeep (grand cherokee) will get me back the gameland roads, and my 2 feet do the rest. I try to pack light, that is why i cringe when i hear about these heavy barrelled guns, my back hurts thinking of them.

·
Registered
1,093 Posts
Elkein

Are your horsed trained to be not gun shy.
I've had mates who piad to go shooting on horseback years ago on a Million acre station up in the N.T. They had a pack mule too, for carrying the tent and two back packs.

·
Registered
661 Posts
For me its the car to a point, then the old '62 footster takes over.
Elkein; those are some beautiful animals, nice and healthy lookin.
Being a budget hunter, I can't see an atv. Besides around here nothing but spoild kids own them. You see them in their bright yellow space suits ripping up state land. If you walk by where they were, beer cans, plastic containers, bags, smoldering campfires.

·
Registered
2,835 Posts
er Dean

Bergerson said:
Nice Rigs Dean,

But I prefer to keep mine full of mud and dead animals!! :D
2001 Honda Rancher 4X4
Maybe you could lend Bergerson your
four wheeler.:)

He probably would'nt ever charge ya
to break it in.

:D :D :D

·
Premium Member
2,945 Posts
I use a honda 400 foreman. Tow a homemade trailer that has a 5' long cargo box and the same width as the honda. We usually go in for around 2 weeks, set up a base camp and work a valley and surrounding mts. We hunt an area around 10 miles long and 5 miles wide. Use the hondas to get to different areas and walk or spot from there.
We have a super deluxe camp, sleeping tent and separate cooking tent. Very comfy camp, that is why we all haul the big trailers. But we can still haul 2 moose and the camp out in one trip, around 25 miles one way.

·
Registered
271 Posts
i dont hunt, but i have a 2002 grizzly 660 with big mud tires...one guess what i use it for....
if i were to hunt id be using the quad, thats y i have it registered and insured (only legal way to run a quad on ANY state lands) and since i want to try out squirrel hunting, maybe someday...

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.