1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
6,877 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

·
Premium Member
58,674 Posts
I purchased the Lyman 17AMI .494 from Havlins, seven inserts and you know its made for the rifle, unless you get Brownell's discounted price its cheaper too.

Gerald

·
Registered
6,877 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I purchased the Lyman 17AMI .494 from Havlins, seven inserts and you know its made for the rifle, unless you get Brownell's discounted price its cheaper too.

Gerald
You sir are my best friend in the whole world! :bthumb:

I hadn't noticed that they sold that. Perfect. I can order some safety/fire inserts while I am at it.

Thank you sir.

·
Premium Member
58,674 Posts
Check with them (by phone) on the adjustable trigger for your 44US while you're at it, when I got mine Vic said he had plenty of the triggers, it was the mounting screws he was running out of. Good luck.

Gerald

·
Registered
6,877 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Check with them (by phone) on the adjustable trigger for your 44US while you're at it, when I got mine Vic said he had plenty of the triggers, it was the mounting screws he was running out of. Good luck.

Gerald
Thanks for reminding me on that Gerald! I'll have to call next week.

·
Registered
5,143 Posts
Trent,
When installing the 17, the dovetail may be oversized and you may have to file to fit. Remember to always file on the sight's dovetail and not on the barrel. One is much easier to replace than the other and this fact is very often overlooked.

Those round front apertures are great on bullseyes!

·
Registered
6,877 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Trent,
When installing the 17, the dovetail may be oversized and you may have to file to fit. Remember to always file on the sight's dovetail and not on the barrel. One is much easier to replace than the other and this fact is very often overlooked.

Thanks for the tip Ralfus!

·
Registered
6,877 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·

Gerald
Gerald... I got the adjustable bracket and spring/plunger from Havlin today. Also got the Lyman 17a.

Am I out of my mind here? Adding this "adjustable" mechanism will do nothing but increase my trigger pull. Adding it will definitely make it adjustable, but in the wrong direction.

Here is my factory action.

Here are the parts I received.

Here it is installed.

Now, if I understand physics, that plunger is pressing against the trigger. The more I screw it in the heavier the trigger pull will be. So I'm not sure if I am missing something here. Without the "adjustable" mechanism install my trigger is basically as light as it can get.

I hope someone can tell me that I am whacko.

·
Registered
6,877 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I'll have to pull my 146b apart tomorrow to see how it is adjusted. i can't remember how it is setup and I am ready for some shuteye. :sleeping:

·
Premium Member
58,674 Posts
Dang now you're asking me to remember and my wife will tell you thats a dangerous thing, I can tell you if you turn it the correct way it makes a big difference, won't turn it into an Anschutz trigger but my trigger finger appreciated the difference. Play with it, it can only go one of two ways!?!

Gerald

·
Registered
6,877 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I never really got any answers from you Mossy gurus. So I am drudging up this old post.

Am I right in my above post??... that the "adjustable" mechanism only makes the trigger HEAVIER?

·
Banned
966 Posts

·
Registered
6,877 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Trent,

I forgot to follow up on this. I definitely had to do some filing on the Lyman sight to get it to fit into the Mossberg dovetail.

·
Registered
6,035 Posts
don't I remember Havlin selling Lymans for less than Brownell's?
The price progression goes like this:

Brownells > Havlins > Brownells C&R price

IIRC, Havlins is $28, but either Brownells or MidwayUSA is about $24, MOL, if you qualify for the FFL/C&R discount.

BTW, the C&R is the best $30 for three years I ever spent, even if I never buy another gun with it.

·
Registered
6,877 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
How do you remove the front sight? I assume with a brass punch. Does it matter which direction you drive it off?
Yes, you want to drive it out to the right. This is as if you were looking down the barrel like you would shoot it.

I used a brass punch that I made out of some 1/4" brass rod that I had laying around. Worked nicely.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.