Rimfire Central Firearm Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3,728 Posts
Stovepiping is a term used to describe a semi-auto failing to completely eject a spent cartridge, with the closing bolt catching & holding it between the bolt & barrel face, leaving the brass sticking up like a "stovepipe"...............

You just clear it like any other "jam" & go about your business......

·
Registered
20,556 Posts
If, by chance, you have a new 10/22, this is fairly normal for a while until you get the action broken in. Buy a brick of high velocity ammo and shoot it up. That should get the action fairly well broken in and working, and will usually solve the problems associated with newness..

Ron

·
Registered
486 Posts
WHat kind of bolt handle is that? Is it a VQ bolt w/ a custom handle? I think it looks really cool. Is it even a 10/22???? I'd like a longer bolt handle w/out having to spend $50 on the PC doo-hicker.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks

Thanks for clearing that up. Although a seasoned shooter of 10/22's and Ruger pistols, I usually go plinking alone or with my brothers, and I never heard the term "stovepipe" much. I just knew the friggin' thing was jammed and I cleared it! It really does look like a stovepipe now that I realize it. Almost no jams since switching to Super X a few months ago. The pistol is an old model Mark I and is nicely broken in.

·
Registered
5,084 Posts
MKI Stovepiping

Jackrabbit Slim,

Hi Vel ammo will reduce/eliminate "stovepiping" most of the time, as it is caused by the slow or incomplete cycling of the bolt [slide].

Try one drop of oil on the top of the retracted bolt of your MKI ....! ! It will do wonders.....! ! :)

Also, they function best with a 'firm grip'.....! ! ;)

Good Luck.....! ! :)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.