Rimfire Central Firearm Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Premium Member
792 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What does this mean. Are they banned and if so how can they post. I guess I am confused......

·
Registered
Several
42 Posts
I think it means there is someone "out there" who is a bad person OR it's a spam-bot that Admin or a Mod has decided to ban them from further participation.

·
Premium Member
792 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Same here. I had a banned person respond to my WTB ad with the old "I know somebody who has what you are looking for" nonsense this morning...
That's exactly what I got this morning. Name was Davjedi..... I was looking for some ammo and this guy posts he has a friend and adds an email address. No way am I doing business that way.

Reactions: PEASHOOTER67

·
Premium Member
167 Posts
I got the same from Davjedi…. His butty has a Daewoo DP52, Beretta 87!
“Hi, if you’re still looking and may consider shipping, you can contact William in Ohio he has a Daewoo DP52, Beretta 87 he’s looking to sell this is his email address [email protected] good luck”

·
Registered
3,245 Posts
I've seen this kind of thing before. It's probably due to the forum software changeover. The new software doesn't know or understand the "banned" list from the old software.

Usually a temporary setback, as people who were undesirable before - still are.

·
X-Mod
19,593 Posts
Ok... we did a couple of tests.

Test #1... I banned my test account and once logged in, I could not do anything,,, not even surf around... and definitely not PM anyone.

Test #2... I had Dr. G ban my test account while I was logged in... it didn't kick me off the site, but just as test #1, I couldn't do anything.

So as I said before... I think all his PM's were sent out prior to me banning him.

·
Premium Member
792 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Ok... we did a couple of tests.

Test #1... I banned my test account and once logged in, I could not do anything,,, not even surf around... and definitely not PM anyone.

Test #2... I had Dr. G ban my test account while I was logged in... it didn't kick me off the site, but just as test #1, I couldn't do anything.

So as I said before... I think all his PM's were sent out prior to me banning him.
Thanks so much for what you guys do..... I mean that. Nuf said.
I sent you a PM about another guy..... on another RFC forum.......

·
Registered
380 Posts
People can be banned for a short time for breaking some rule or other. Some need to be permanently gone, but not all. A simple misstep in response to a post can result in a temporary ban. I personally like that notification. Some sites, where people go bonkers, or who are obvious spammers, the offenders get aced with no indication from management that anything has happened except that people may notice that that entity is no longer posting.

·
General Nuisance / Major Indifference
14,271 Posts
People can be banned for a short time for breaking some rule or other. Some need to be permanently gone, but not all. A simple misstep in response to a post can result in a temporary ban. I personally like that notification. Some sites, where people go bonkers, or who are obvious spammers, the offenders get aced with no indication from management that anything has happened except that people may notice that that entity is no longer posting.
Our software system has a system of warnings etc. The ONLY reason someone might be insta banned is because they are a spammer. 99 times out of 100 only JEE or Dr Gunner will do the banning!

The ONLY exception I can think of is if we have an obvious spammer and one of us other mods catches it before admin gets here.

And even then, JEE of Dr Gunner can reverse that ban if they see fit. Your moderator team is connected and communicating like never before. We WANT this place to thrive and survive.

We want to honor the vision of our founder Indy and be a Haven from the world to discuss our shared love of all things rimfire!

·
RFC Consigliere & Concierge
12,647 Posts
Time for some 'splainin.

First off, I appreciate those who have started and commented in this thread about PMs they received from a scammer. That scammer was real, he got through our net by successfully posing as a law abiding member with friendly helpful posts, and then the moment he thought no one was looking, he spammed a bunch of you with a PM offer about his buddy having whatever gun for sale. He is no longer here, and the PMs that have been reported were ALL sent by said miscreant BEFORE Jay brought down the ban hammer. We could not do this job without your help, so THANK YOU.
Now with specific reference to Steveedee's statement, a clarification is in order. There is a system in place with infractions and accrued infraction points. Speculation that a member can be banned for making a simple off-color comment is disingenuous and not helpful.
Absolutely no one has been banned that didn't either earn adequate points through multiple infractions or was obviously a criminal trying to scam our members.
Also bear in mind that infractions are often given on posts that are reported by members.
It IS possible for a moderator to give a simple warning for bad behavior that results in a single infraction point being levied against the perpetrators user profile, and the server will automatically impose a trip to band camp based on the users infraction history. Those automatic bans show a clear history of bad behavior, and an escalation based on user history and accrued infractions. All of this data is kept and reviewable by staff making decisions when a rule violation is reported.
The first time is a one day ban, then a three day ban, then a week, then a month, and after that it is bye-bye bad guy.
We are operating under new software, so it is no longer always our choice whether or not the software imposes a ban, especially if our members decide to flaunt the rules repeatedly with impunity.

We will always try to follow Sophia's example in being kind and patient.

Respectfully,

DrGunner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts