Rimfire Central Firearm Forum banner

What distance to sight-in

616 Views 11 Replies 8 Participants Last post by  El Paso Mark
If I plan to shoot 25 and 50 yard targets with my new 22lr Varmint, what distance should I use to sight-in my scope (3-9 X 32, 22 Mag by Simmons)?

Also, which ammo would you suggest to try first to see which one my CZ likes??

Thanks
Mike in TN
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

· Registered
10,461 Posts
I always zero at 50 yards. I would suggest buying 1 box of 50 rounds of many different brands. A lot of CZ's seem to shoot the Wolf Match Target, and MT extra real well but mine don't.

· Registered
1,120 Posts
I always 0 at 25yds. IT is more likely you will be on the paper at that distance.
There will only be a slight change with the elevation when you go to 50.
Both my CZ's like Fed lightnings ala champions same ammo. They also like
Win power points. Many people are having good luck with the lightnings and
at 99 cents a box you can't beat it.

· Registered
10,461 Posts
I think I read it wrong, With a new scope on the rifle I will get a rough zero at about 35 feet then move to 50 yards zero it and I'm done only takes 5 or 6 shots. from start to finish.

· Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I love to be able to say somthing good about somebody. So, let me tell you about Champions Choice. I had seen this co. mentioned here on RFC. When I pulled there web site, I was pleased to see they were only 45 minutes away. I went by and saw that this is a shipping warehouse with a sales desk for local and pick-up sales. I told them that I was a newby with a new gun and many ?'s. Tommy and Jim were very patient and helped me to choose several of the ammo's that they had in stock. They include - Eley Standard (brown box), Eley Target - (yellow box), SK Jagd standard plus, SK Jagd rifle match, Federal Target. Of course they suggested more of the "over the counter stuff (cheap stuff) to try also (which they did not carry). They were also able to direct me to some places to shoot here in middle TN that I might cross paths with some more experienced shooters. They were a great help to me. Since I'm starting from scratch and will need everything including front benchrest + bag and rear bag and all the other STUFF, I'm glad to have someone close by to guide and supply me.

Oh, I also picked up a Patchworm. Now all I have to do is clean the gunk out of my new Varmint and go shooting!

Mike in TN

· Registered
3,481 Posts
wellllllllllllllll

mike u need to pm or talk to a man on here named vincent, he is a shooter and knows a lot about 22s and he lives in nashville tn. he is a reg on here and u will find him in most of the rooms
vincent is his handle. good luck im in bowling green ky
david

· Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I took your suggestion and PM'd Vincent. I hope he will see and respond soon.

You suggested running a brass brush through the bore. From reading other posts here, I thought a brass brush in bore was a strict NO-NO. That's why I love this place, there's so much I need to know. I just don't want to do a stupid stunt which might hurt the accuracy of the CZ.

Thanks
Mike in TN

· Registered
4,065 Posts
mike fondren said:
If I plan to shoot 25 and 50 yard targets with my new 22lr Varmint, what distance should I use to sight-in my scope (3-9 X 32, 22 Mag by Simmons)?

Also, which ammo would you suggest to try first to see which one my CZ likes??

Thanks
Mike in TN
Depends what you want to do with the rifle but two of my favorite ammos for my CZs are CCI Blazer and Wolf MT. I shoot alot of games that involve shooting at either 25 or 50 yards or both. Their is almost no point of impact shift with the Blazers between the two distances but there is about half an inch difference with the Wolf MT. The Wolf tends to group better however. It should - it is higher quality ammo.

· Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
sheffieldshootr said:
Depends what you want to do with the rifle but two of my favorite ammos for my CZs are CCI Blazer and Wolf MT. I shoot alot of games that involve shooting at either 25 or 50 yards or both. Their is almost no point of impact shift with the Blazers between the two distances but there is about half an inch difference with the Wolf MT. The Wolf tends to group better however. It should - it is higher quality ammo.
According to the guys at Champions Choice, the SK Jagd ammo is the same as Wolf AND Lapua at a much lower price (just for your info.). You might give them a call and check it out.

Mike in TN

· Registered
527 Posts
I would sight in at 50',the farther the distance you sight in at the more accurate the system (if that makes since to you).You'll be a little high at 25',about an inch.Try the cci velocitors, if they shoot for you you'll be very happy in any situation.When cleaning, when needed I use a brush for a couple of passes then patches,brushes on a Cz are to tight for my liken so I wear them out a little first(take a power sander and rotate the brush on it until it fills right)I like a loose to semi loose feel when I put a brush throug the bore.The rod you choose is important to(in my opinion)I use a tippton 1 piece carbon rod.

· Registered
8,285 Posts
With CCI Minimags, I have zeroed at 50 yards, but the first time the bullet crosses line of sight is exactly at 25 yards, with this velocity of ammo, so you're effectively zeroed for 25 yards and 50 yards, a bit high in between those yardages. I usually try to set up my .22's to impact 3/4'' high at 50 yards to get the most out of the trajectory, by putting them a tad high at 50 yards will get you a 65 yard zero and clip about 2'' off of the 100 yard drop. Target velocity ammo I will usually zero at 50 yards, setting it up any higher puts the bullets too high at shorter ranges. You can use the JBM ballistic calculator to explore what different yardage zeros will do to your trajectory. http://www.eskimo.com/~jbm/

· Registered
828 Posts
G'day Mike. I horizantal zero my scopes at 25 yards as I figure there's less room for error due to the closer distance. I'll also do a rough verticle zero at 25, then when horizantal zero is achieved move target out to 50 yards and vertical zero.

Cheers,

Mark

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.